OT - Plasma TV question

Old February 27th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

Dan Luke wrote:

After watching the NFL and the Olympics on plasma HD, I'd hate to go
back to SD.

HD can spoil you quickly. Some people say the improvement is like going
from B&W to color TV. I wouldn't go that far, but I will say it's a
huge improvement, and the nice thing is that you don't need satellite or
cable to get it from the networks in most places.

Stop it. I am salivating all over my keyboard.

Olympics, football, NASCAR (my kids got me into this), and a few prime-time
dramas are just a few of the HD programs to which I look forward sometime
later this year.

--
Peter
Old February 27th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R."wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

After watching the NFL and the Olympics on plasma HD, I'd hate to go
back to SD.

HD can spoil you quickly. Some people say the improvement is like
going
from B&W to color TV. I wouldn't go that far, but I will say it's a
huge improvement, and the nice thing is that you don't need satellite
or
cable to get it from the networks in most places.

Stop it. I am salivating all over my keyboard.

Olympics, football, NASCAR (my kids got me into this), and a few
prime-time
dramas are just a few of the HD programs to which I look forward
sometime
later this year.

I swore I wouldn't, but I've been guilty of watching programs *just
because* the look so great in HD.

NASCAR is a perfect example of this. I used to find it about as
exciting as watching an IV drip, but it looks so terrific in hi def on a
big 16:9 screen that I'm starting to get hooked.

--
Dan

"The future has actually been here for a while, it's just not readily
available to everyone."
- some guy at MIT

Old February 27th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote "home video". Even $1500 is just barely "home video" for most
people, and of course twice that isn't at all.

Yeah, it was a bit of a stretch. But $1500 for high definition is
pretty awesome, considering the crummy stuff that was touted not ten
years ago for twice the price. I suppose I should have said "prosumer"
- the kind of gear that somebody would film a school play with and sell
you copies for fifteen dollars. That's a home movie of sorts, even if
you didn't shoot it yourself.

Jose
Old February 27th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The DC are the scourge of the earth as far as I am concerned.

Passive can't be beat. I have a pair of DC ANRs and forgot to turn them
on. I flew three hours before I noticed. Then when I turned the ANR
on, there was another big difference (so it's not that the ANR is so
poor I couldn't tell the difference)

Jose
Old February 27th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

From your post and a previous one, I assume you have a 1080 camera that
captures to a PC just fine. Fill us in! I'm still not convinced that
equipment is available for the budget-conscious consumer, but I'm willing to
listen.

Not for the budget conscious consumer, but for the "gotta have it"
person they are there. They are in the almost $2K range, perhaps better
called "prosumer". Just give it time, and not even too much time.

Jose
Old February 27th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

Maybe. It's been two years since I bought a video camera, and
probably about a year since I've done any serious shopping for one.
However, you haven't written anything to suggest to me that my
information is all that out of date.

Then your information is out of date.

To play the "Duniho Game", I could point out that you said:
quote
What home video stuff does 1080i? Last I looked, consumer-grade HD cameras
were only starting to appear, and they only did 720.
/quote

I admit that $2000 is still stretching the bounds of "consumer-grade", but
not by much, and 720 is certainly not the limit.

No, one camera in this range does not indicate a market shift (not indicated
by simply saying "home video"), but if somebody were reading this thread and
interested in such a camera now, they may know of options not indicated by
your statement.

But it doesn't seem to me
that the home video market has generally gotten to any
high-definition, never mind 1080i.

I didn't say it had, but there are cameras with 1080i resolution and editing
software (for ~$70-80) that will allow home video enthusiasts to capture,
edit and distribute HD content. It is most definitely available to the
"home video market".

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old February 27th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Can you name an instance where a "Monster cable" IS needed?

As I said earlier, for longer runs low attenuation is more important
and Monster cables are fairly good in this regard, at least they
were last time I checked a few years ago.

It's just wire. There are many MUCH lower cost alternatives.

The same is true with coax cable. You can use RG-59, RG-6 or RG-11,
but if you are running 400' and use RG-59 rather than -11, you'll
likely be an unhappy camper.

Different issue altogether.

Old February 28th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

JohnH wrote:
Can you name an instance where a "Monster cable" IS needed?

As I said earlier, for longer runs low attenuation is more important
and Monster cables are fairly good in this regard, at least they
were last time I checked a few years ago.

It's just wire. There are many MUCH lower cost alternatives.

The same is true with coax cable. You can use RG-59, RG-6 or RG-11,
but if you are running 400' and use RG-59 rather than -11, you'll
likely be an unhappy camper.

Different issue altogether.

How so? Signal attenuation is signal attenuation. It doesn't matter if
the media is one wire, twisted pair, coax or optical fiber.

Matt
Old February 28th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message
news
Happy Dog wrote:

The guy at www.plasmanext.com is Dalen, not Darren, as I previously

said.

Holy Mackerel! Did you see that Pioneer 51" on his home page towards the
bottom? US $41 million for it!

That's a BIG typo! g

I found it elsewhere, for $3419. Just a $40,996,581 mistake. No bigie!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 28th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How so? Signal attenuation is signal attenuation. It doesn't matter
if the media is one wire, twisted pair, coax or optical fiber.

The difference being "monster cable" is just regular wire in a fancy
package; but RF through the improper impedance or sized coax will certainly
cause a loss, regardless of manufacturer.

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM
Winching: Steel vs. Plasma Bob Johnson Soaring 10 August 12th 03 05:41 PM