medical question

Old September 15th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Default medical question

Mxsmanic wrote:

But it is also possible to have no clinical symptoms on the ground,
and yet show severe symptoms at altitude.

And its also possible to have no clinical symptoms at altitude. We can
"maybe" this all day and all night if you like.

How "dramatic" the effect you are claiming is a function of oxygen
delivery to the tissues, which is multifactorial, not tied SIMPLY to one
value.

Whatever the factors involved, flying while anemic is not a good idea.
You don't want to find out that you have the wrong combination of
factors by passing out at 5000 feet.

Are you going to be asymptomatic then magically pass out at 5k feet?
Hardly. And again, anemia is a matter of degrees. Normal hemoglobin
levels have a LOW normal value in the ballpark of 13-14 grams/dl. There
is a lower acceptable low value in women as opposed to men.

We dont begin to transfuse blood to patients until they are below 10
grams (75% of normal) and THIS is only if the patient is already
seriously ill or has heart disease (roughly paraphrased, too sick to
have a medical certificate for a pilots license) In non cardiac patients
we dont even consider transfusion unless below 9, 8 or even seven grams
(up to 50 percent of your normal blood concentration, depending on the
lack of clinical symptoms). Above the threshhold, patients are usually
managed just fine medically (iron supplementation, epogen) if they arent
actually bleeding somewhere..

Your supposed "wrong combination of factors" is utter nonsense.

So.. how about YOU stick to what you know.. flying sims.. leave the real
flying to the real pilots.. and leave the medical stuff to the folks who
deal with it for a living?
Old September 15th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TFP

TFP wrote:
Emily wrote:
wrote:
Emily wrote:

snip

Have you had a Lymes test? I don't what part of the country you are in
but you should. Just to rule it out.

I don't think we have it around here, and I haven't seen a tick in
years, but it's something to keep in mind, I guess.

Emily et al:

The tick is called a deer tick, although it is now believed that the
primary vector for the tick itself is song-birds. The tick is also
only the size of a poppy seed when it attaches, and no bigger than a
sesame seed when it is done feeding. Quite small indeed.

If your symptoms persist ... get the test done, especially if you
notice any tingling sensations anywhere, or pain in your face, teeth,
or sinuses. For reasons not known many people with Lyme disease
eventually get mild sinusitis with considerable unremitting facial pain
that cannot be explained by the sinusisitis, or any dental issues that
might be present The best method for Lyme testing is via PCR (genetic
testing) which is done by iGeneX Labs in California.

Lyme (not LYMES) Disease is horrible, and hard to detect, diagnose, and
treat. I had to stop flying (and doing pretty much everything else)
quite suddenly 3 years ago because of it, and am now in treatment.
Because it went undetected by less than compentent doctors for over a
year and a half, my treatment will likely be 18 months long. I've
received antibiotics for 12 months and am now about 60% recovered.

If nothing else shows up in your normal blood testing, get this
particular test done! Don't listen to a doctor that says "there isn't
any Lyme Disease around here" or "you don't have a rash, so you can't
have Lyme Disease". I lived in a large city, never had a rash, and the
extent of my outdoorsiness amounted to the occasional fly-in to a grass
runway, and exposure to a house cat that was allowed to run in and
outside.

The Wikipedia entries are very good on the subject. Look up Lyme
Disease (of course!) and Borrelia burgdorferi (the spirochete that
causes the disease).

All the best ...

TFP

Sorry ... one further note ... the test to request FIRST from iGenX is
called a Western Blot test. If this test is indeterminate, THEN follow
up with the PCR test.

All pilot issues aside, Lyme Disease is a very serious and spreading
condition (some medical authorities esimate that it is the #1 vector
borne disease in North America, in terms of rate of growth in the human
population) that doesn't resolve on its own.

Unlike what other writers here heve indicated, normal blood tests will
probably not show signs of infection, because the nature of the
organism allows it to "hide",if you will, from your immune system, so
you would not show elevated WBC counts, and your sedimentation ("sed")
rate would also probably be within normal limts. This might strengthen
the doctors' opinion about a pyschological cause, but you must then
leave and find a physician who believes what the patient says, and
might be Lyme literate, and is at least willing to sign the requisition
form for the test(s), which you will probably have to get from iGeneX
yourself.

I truly hope your symptoms go away, but consider looking into this if
they do not.

Good luck...

TFP

Old September 15th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Margy Natalie" wrote)
Why would that be? sweet, innocent, young thing bats lashes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098067/
Parenthood (1989)
Steve Martin, with Ron Howard directing.

[after the lights go out, the kid is sent to look for a flashlight - in the
dark. She returns to the dinner table with what she 'thinks' is a
flashlight, a rather loud flashlight...]

Taylor: Mommy what was that?
Karen: That was an electrical ear cleaner.
Taylor: It was kinda big.
Grandma: It sure was.

Montblack
[after finding her 15-year-old son's bag full of porno tapes]
"l assume you're watching these because you're curious about sex... you
know. Or filmmaking."

Old September 15th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Yes I do.

But then I'm married to a Human Resources professional who know more about
it than I. She's got some "great" stories about how she can't ask certain
questions even when an employee is face down on the office floor having had
a stroke.

Jay B

She can ask all she wants.. its getting the answers that are tricky.

Dave
Old September 15th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Private" wrote in message
If a man talks in the woods and there is nobody there to hear him,
is he still wrong?

Why would he be talking in the woods? It's not like he's going to ask
permission of the tree before he ****es upon it...

Old September 15th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Exactly. I know what causes my anemia (what woman doesn't?)

Yeah, now you want to blame men for your anemia...

When I was a kid, I remember some water supply systems over in East Texas
that had so much iron in their water that it would probably act as a pretty
damn good iron supplement...

Old September 15th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Grumman-581,

Nawh, you'll talk to him again... You're a woman and as such are genetically
predisposed to not be able to pass up an opportunity to tell a man that he
is wrong (whether or not that really in the case does not matter)...

Just when I thought the discussion level on this group couldn't get any lower,
you come along with this. Pathetic...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 15th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Emily wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Emily wrote:

Morgans wrote:

Then see a doctor who is. I doubt that she will concur with

this

armchair diagnosis of depression. Better yet, find an AME who
is also
a psychiatrist, if such exist.

That is actually very bad advice to those pilots who value their
medical
certificate. A real pilot knows not to place the
responsibilities of
normal healthcare in the hands of the same doctor who signs one's
medical
certificate.

Once again, Mxsm shows that he is clueless. What is he now, 0 out
of 100?

Sheesh!

What *I* think is funny is that he writes as if every word out of
his mouth is gospel.

I mean, seriously, how is a sim player qualified to give anyone
advice on their medical? He gave very dangerous information and I
can only hope that no inexperienced student pilot believes his

advice.

How is the information he gave dangerous?

Matt

You think it's a good idea for a student pilot to take his advice?
It's irresponsible to put information out there like that.

I don't see how having two doctors rather than one is dangerous
advice, student pilot or otherwise. That appears to be the essence of
his recommendation above.

Matt

I was replying to a post by Mxsm in where he said I should see an AME
about this.

I still don't see how that is dangerous. Not good advice, but hardly
dangerous.

Matt

Maybe not physically dangerous, but certainly dangerous to a flying career.

Old September 15th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Emily wrote:
Margy Natalie wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Emily writes:

First, I'll bet my life they will show anemia, which should make
him happy that he has a diagnosis ...

Anemia will make it dangerous for you to fly. You don't want that.

Anemia means you have to take iron pills. Not dangerous. BTW anemia
in women is NOT considered the major problem it is in men.

Margy

Exactly. I know what causes my anemia (what woman doesn't?) and it's
very well controlled if I take a multivitamin. I'm also aware that I
feel hypoxia earlier tha most, and fly accordingly.

Yeah, guys just don't seem to get it! Ron's Dr. freaked once over his
blood levels, but I think Ron had forgotten to tell him he had donated a
pint of blood the day before :-). Now if you have one of the more
serious anemia type things, it's a different story.

Moral of the story. Don't forget to take your mulivitamins before a Dr.
visit and get plenty of rest. Hope you find a root cause of your fever
that is simple.

Margy
Old September 15th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default anemia (was medical question)

Dave S wrote:
snip

Whatever the factors involved, flying while anemic is not a good idea.
You don't want to find out that you have the wrong combination of
factors by passing out at 5000 feet.

Are you going to be asymptomatic then magically pass out at 5k feet?
Hardly. And again, anemia is a matter of degrees. Normal hemoglobin
levels have a LOW normal value in the ballpark of 13-14 grams/dl. There
is a lower acceptable low value in women as opposed to men.

Why do you waste your time? g
I can say, as a woman with a level that is generally around 11-12g/dl, I
don't magically pass out at 5000 feet. I don't even magically pass out
around 10,000 feet. I can say that I prefer not to fly along at night
without oxygen above around 6000 feet, but like they say, the first
thing to go is vision....which comes back very rapidly at lower
altitudes. Daytime...I've done 11,000 with symptoms, and again,
wouldn't do it alone and without oxygen, but no passing out.

So.. how about YOU stick to what you know.. flying sims.. leave the real
flying to the real pilots.. and leave the medical stuff to the folks who
deal with it for a living?

Good luck with that.