OT - Plasma TV question

Old February 28th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

"Jose" wrote in message
om...
Yeah, it was a bit of a stretch. But $1500 for high definition is pretty
awesome, considering the crummy stuff that was touted not ten years ago
for twice the price.

No doubt. Too bad it's Sony. You know how some people won't touch
Microsoft software with a 10' pole? I'm like that about Sony products.

Old February 28th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
JohnH wrote:
Can you name an instance where a "Monster cable" IS needed?

As I said earlier, for longer runs low attenuation is more important
and Monster cables are fairly good in this regard, at least they
were last time I checked a few years ago.

It's just wire. There are many MUCH lower cost alternatives.

The same is true with coax cable. You can use RG-59, RG-6 or RG-11,
but if you are running 400' and use RG-59 rather than -11, you'll
likely be an unhappy camper.

Different issue altogether.

How so? Signal attenuation is signal attenuation. It doesn't matter if
the media is one wire, twisted pair, coax or optical fiber.

Composite video on RG58 is fine to well over 100'. 3 and 5 wire RGB formats
have a variety of issues that are unrelated to attenuation.

moo

Old February 28th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
.. .
Composite video on RG58 is fine to well over 100'.

Ahhh... ThinNet Ethernet... I remember it well... After working with the
issues of tapping the ThickNet (i.e. 10Base5) with the vampire taps, the
ThinNet stuff with the screw on BNC connectors was a dream... Always wished
that they had chosen the BNC connectors for A/V equipment instead of the RCA
plugs... At one time, I had my stereo system completely wired with RG-58
with BNC connectors and the BNC to RCA converters... Each cable was exactly
the size that was needed... A very clean looking installation...

Old February 28th 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
.. .
Huh?

I guess I'm just showing my age... You probably don't remember anything
before 100BaseT, right?

Old February 28th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

JohnH wrote:

How so? Signal attenuation is signal attenuation. It doesn't matter
if the media is one wire, twisted pair, coax or optical fiber.

The difference being "monster cable" is just regular wire in a fancy
package; but RF through the improper impedance or sized coax will certainly
cause a loss, regardless of manufacturer.

I've never personally cut one open so you may be right, but I thought
I'd read that the gauge was a fair bit larger in the monster cables than
in many others. I agree that if the wire size is the same, then it
isn't likely to be better, but I'm not sure the wire size is really the
same.

Do you know of any references to where someone has dissected a monster
cable?

Matt
Old February 28th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"jwilljr" wrote in message
Matt Whiting wrote:

Yep, I'd definitely consider a discussion group as the ultimate source of
knowledge.

Matt

Like this one? Sorry I am not going to spend a grand on headsets that may
be worth 300 at the most.

Jerry

Last person I heard say something like that wound up buying a Ford Pinto.

Old February 28th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Last person I heard say something like that wound up buying a Ford
Pinto.

And?

Old February 28th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
The DC are the scourge of the earth as far as I am concerned.

Passive can't be beat.

Passive gets throttled every time I turn on my ANR.

I have a pair of DC ANRs and forgot to turn them
on.

Never happened to me.
Old February 28th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote:
The DC are the scourge of the earth as far as I am concerned.

Passive can't be beat. I have a pair of DC ANRs and forgot to turn
them on. I flew three hours before I noticed. Then when I turned the
ANR on, there was another big difference (so it's not that the ANR is
so poor I couldn't tell the difference)

Either your hearing or your ANR must be really bad.

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM
Winching: Steel vs. Plasma Bob Johnson Soaring 10 August 12th 03 05:41 PM