FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

Old December 15th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Default FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"muff528" wrote in

You should try an MG! Mind you, it was a lot easier to get them into
that than the Rambler, but less fun when you got inside. Unless you
were realy into getting levers stuck into some uncofortable places
(and I bet here's a
website somwhere that capitises on exactly that sort of thing)

Bertie

In the MG you probably had to stop halfway and adjust the SU's. :-)

(just perpetrating a myth about them although an old girlfriend
insisted on owning Triumphs and they kept me busy.)

No myth! I was at the damned things all the time. It was a TD, which
wasn't even an anteek then..

Bertie

Should have had a 62 Austin Healy - 3 of those damn things on it!!

BTW - the tonneau cover makes a good substitute for a blanket... )

Old December 15th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"ManhattanMan" wrote in newsRU8j.11657$Fa7.8929
@newsfe17.lga:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"muff528" wrote in

You should try an MG! Mind you, it was a lot easier to get them

into
that than the Rambler, but less fun when you got inside. Unless you
were realy into getting levers stuck into some uncofortable places
(and I bet here's a
website somwhere that capitises on exactly that sort of thing)

Bertie

In the MG you probably had to stop halfway and adjust the SU's. :-)

(just perpetrating a myth about them although an old girlfriend
insisted on owning Triumphs and they kept me busy.)

No myth! I was at the damned things all the time. It was a TD, which
wasn't even an anteek then..

Bertie

Should have had a 62 Austin Healy - 3 of those damn things on it!!

Cool. I knew a guy who had one of those things. Very fast..

BTW - the tonneau cover makes a good substitute for a blanket... )

He he. Well, noone could see much of what you were up to with those side
curtains...

Bertie

Old December 15th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

.. .

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Actually, they were quite simple to work on.....individually! The trick was
to get them to play together well. Very touchy adjustments, especially if
the carb (or engine for that matter) had any wear at all. Then there was the
problem of getting the carbs to do the same thing at the same time,
linkage-wise, which was not necessarily just making sure that throttle
positions on each carb matched. Their performance was affected greatly by
even a little wear. Kinda like the Amal's on a couple of BSA's I had.
TP

Old December 15th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

ManhattanMan wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"muff528" wrote in

You should try an MG! Mind you, it was a lot easier to get them into
that than the Rambler, but less fun when you got inside. Unless you
were realy into getting levers stuck into some uncofortable places
(and I bet here's a
website somwhere that capitises on exactly that sort of thing)

Bertie

In the MG you probably had to stop halfway and adjust the SU's. :-)

(just perpetrating a myth about them although an old girlfriend
insisted on owning Triumphs and they kept me busy.)

No myth! I was at the damned things all the time. It was a TD, which
wasn't even an anteek then..

Bertie

Should have had a 62 Austin Healy - 3 of those damn things on it!!

BTW - the tonneau cover makes a good substitute for a blanket... )

I had a bug eyed Sprite once. Had a Judson Supercharger on it. Used to
blow the head gasket about twice a week if I remember right, but a great
little car and had lots of fun with it.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 15th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"muff528" wrote in
newsBV8j.149$Uq4.50@trnddc06:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"muff528" wrote in

You should try an MG! Mind you, it was a lot easier to get them

into
that than the Rambler, but less fun when you got inside. Unless
you were realy into getting levers stuck into some uncofortable
places (and I bet here's a
website somwhere that capitises on exactly that sort of thing)

Bertie

In the MG you probably had to stop halfway and adjust the SU's.
:-)

[...]

Amal's are a piece of cake by comparison. The SU's were OK, as you say,
individually, (I've had a few cars with single SUs, including Minors,
Minis and what not) and even a couple weren't too bad, but they were
alwyas needing a bit of tinkering with to keep them sweet.
OTOH, I have an old BMW R80 which has been driving me nuts. Bings, which
should work just fine, but I think I must have rebuilt them wrong....
BTW, I have a couple of old AMAC carbs as well, the predecesser of AMAL.
Very similar design, but even more primitive. You run them with a pair
of air/fuel levers on the handlebars. I haven't run it yet, but it looks
pretty interesting to ride..

Bertie

Old December 15th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I had a bug eyed Sprite once. Had a Judson Supercharger on it. Used to
blow the head gasket about twice a week if I remember right, but a great
little car and had lots of fun with it.

Very cool! The blower probably got it up to over 60 hp! Wheehaw!

I saw an article on someone who was running one of those at about 150 BHP
recently. Can you imagine? It had suspension and brake upgrades as well.

Bertie
Old December 15th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I had a bug eyed Sprite once. Had a Judson Supercharger on it. Used to
blow the head gasket about twice a week if I remember right, but a great
little car and had lots of fun with it.

Very cool! The blower probably got it up to over 60 hp! Wheehaw!

I saw an article on someone who was running one of those at about 150 BHP
recently. Can you imagine? It had suspension and brake upgrades as well.

Bertie

Some of these car guys have performed miracles with their cars. It's
uncanny the money and effort that goes into some of their projects.
I must have been born without the car gene. I think for me it was
airplanes from about age 6 on. Now THERE'S a way to save money!!!!
:-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 15th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

muff528 wrote:

Actually, they were quite simple to work on.....individually! The
trick was to get them to play together well. Very touchy adjustments,
especially if the carb (or engine for that matter) had any wear at
all. Then there was the problem of getting the carbs to do the same
thing at the same time, linkage-wise, which was not necessarily just
making sure that throttle positions on each carb matched. Their
performance was affected greatly by even a little wear. Kinda like
the Amal's on a couple of BSA's I had. TP

You got that right! Getting them syncd was a real PITA! I found a nice
little gadget that helped immensely, and by coincidence happened to run
across it about a week ago when looking for something else in the tool
chest. Here's a pic: http://www.members.cox.net/drpics/carbtool.jpg
Why I'm hanging on to it after 45 years is anyones guess, probably should
put it on eBay!!

But for watching what 3 SU's were doing simultaneously, it was great! The
pistons dropped in place of the damper and would rise/fall with the suction,
with the wire pointers lined up. Plus there were another half dozen tricks
you could do with it. The one that looks like a weird crank shaft was to
adjust the float arms. Beats the hell out of sticking your head in there
with a stethoscope listening to the hiss... d:-))

Cheers'n beers.. [_])
Don

Old December 15th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I had a bug eyed Sprite once. Had a Judson Supercharger on it. Used
to blow the head gasket about twice a week if I remember right, but
a great little car and had lots of fun with it.

Very cool! The blower probably got it up to over 60 hp! Wheehaw!

I saw an article on someone who was running one of those at about 150
BHP recently. Can you imagine? It had suspension and brake upgrades
as well.

Bertie

Some of these car guys have performed miracles with their cars. It's
uncanny the money and effort that goes into some of their projects.
I must have been born without the car gene. I think for me it was
airplanes from about age 6 on. Now THERE'S a way to save money!!!!
:-)

True, I like pretty much anything that goes, though"

Bertie
Old December 15th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:
I had a bug eyed Sprite once. Had a Judson Supercharger on it. Used
to blow the head gasket about twice a week if I remember right, but
a great little car and had lots of fun with it.

Very cool! The blower probably got it up to over 60 hp! Wheehaw!

I saw an article on someone who was running one of those at about 150
BHP recently. Can you imagine? It had suspension and brake upgrades
as well.

Bertie

Some of these car guys have performed miracles with their cars. It's
uncanny the money and effort that goes into some of their projects.
I must have been born without the car gene. I think for me it was
airplanes from about age 6 on. Now THERE'S a way to save money!!!!
:-)

True, I like pretty much anything that goes, though"

Bertie

Got into racing boats as well. Really liked that. I had a place on the
riverfront in Maryland where we raced outboards. I had a D Utility made
by Sid Craft in New Brunswick New Jersey powered by a KG9 Mercury
running a quicksilver lower unit with an Oakland Johnson racing prop.
You knelt down hunkered on the floorboards wearing kneepads and held the
throttle in your left hand attached to the left side top chine with the
steering wheel in your right. When you opened the throttle, the bow came
up out of the water like a shot and went mid-air. When the boat came
back down, it was on the last several inches of the bottom near the
transom and you were going 60kts.
What a kick in the ass that was. Boy would I love to be a kid again and
river:-))

--
Dudley Henriques

Mythbusters Episode and FMS Marco Leon Piloting 19 February 13th 07 05:45 AM
..and another hour... hellothere.adelphia.net Rotorcraft 7 October 7th 04 11:26 AM
Mythbusters and explosive decompression Casey Wilson Piloting 49 July 15th 04 05:56 PM
MythBusters Hilton Piloting 7 February 4th 04 03:30 AM
Mythbusters Explosive Decompression Experiment C J Campbell Piloting 49 January 16th 04 07:12 AM