medical question

Old September 15th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default medical question

Grumman-581 wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Exactly. I know what causes my anemia (what woman doesn't?)

Yeah, now you want to blame men for your anemia...

I'm not blaming men, silly.

When I was a kid, I remember some water supply systems over in East Texas
that had so much iron in their water that it would probably act as a pretty
damn good iron supplement...

Bet that tasted good. I haven't drank the water here much because I
prefer not to eat mud.

Old September 15th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default anemia (was medical question)

eat red meat

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
| Dave S wrote:
| snip
|
| Whatever the factors involved, flying while anemic is
not a good idea.
| You don't want to find out that you have the wrong
combination of
| factors by passing out at 5000 feet.
|
| Are you going to be asymptomatic then magically pass out
at 5k feet?
| Hardly. And again, anemia is a matter of degrees. Normal
hemoglobin
| levels have a LOW normal value in the ballpark of 13-14
grams/dl. There
| is a lower acceptable low value in women as opposed to
men.

| Why do you waste your time? g
| I can say, as a woman with a level that is generally
around 11-12g/dl, I
| don't magically pass out at 5000 feet. I don't even
magically pass out
| around 10,000 feet. I can say that I prefer not to fly
along at night
| without oxygen above around 6000 feet, but like they say,
the first
| thing to go is vision....which comes back very rapidly at
lower
| altitudes. Daytime...I've done 11,000 with symptoms, and
again,
| wouldn't do it alone and without oxygen, but no passing
out.

| So.. how about YOU stick to what you know.. flying
sims.. leave the real
| flying to the real pilots.. and leave the medical stuff
to the folks who

Old September 15th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave S writes:

And its also possible to have no clinical symptoms at altitude. We can
"maybe" this all day and all night if you like.

The problem is that you don't know until you die. The FAA errs on the
side of safety, just as any good pilot would.

Are you going to be asymptomatic then magically pass out at 5k feet?

In some cases, yes.

So.. how about YOU stick to what you know.. flying sims.. leave the real
flying to the real pilots.. and leave the medical stuff to the folks who
deal with it for a living?

As long as pilots who dismiss this sort of problem wear a special hat
so that I can recognize them and avoid any aircraft that they'll be
flying. They can kill themselves if they want, but I don't want to go
with them.

Old September 15th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Margy Natalie writes:

Yeah, guys just don't seem to get it!

Menstruation does not produce anemia in a person with a normal and
balanced diet and no problems with iron metabolism.

Old September 15th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

What about house and car slammings? There have been quite a few senior
citizen pilots who have been crashing into homes and cars lately. There
have also been many near hits.

Old September 15th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

Menstruation does not produce anemia in a person with a normal and
balanced diet and no problems with iron metabolism.

You simulate that, too?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 15th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
Margy Natalie writes:

Yeah, guys just don't seem to get it!

Menstruation does not produce anemia in a person with a normal and
balanced diet and no problems with iron metabolism.

I assume now you are a medical doctor? I'm sure everyone here eats a
good balanced diet all the time :-)

Margy
Old September 15th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
As long as pilots who dismiss this sort of problem wear a special hat
so that I can recognize them and avoid any aircraft that they'll be
flying. They can kill themselves if they want, but I don't want to go
with them.

Wouldn't you first have to get into an airplane with them? Until you do, you
have one hell of a nerve lecturing anybody. You're a wannabe pilot except you
don't really wannabe.

Please come back to us after your testicles descend.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 15th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Thomas Borchert" wrote)
Nawh, you'll talk to him again... You're a woman and as such are
genetically predisposed to not be able to pass up an opportunity to tell
a man that he is wrong (whether or not that really in the case does not
matter)...

Just when I thought the discussion level on this group couldn't get any
lower,
you come along with this. Pathetic...

It was a playful jab ...and was funny.

Montblack