Angry

Old December 30th 05, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Angry

On 30 Dec 2005 12:36:22 -0800, "lynn" wrote
in .com::

You really should use an alias. It took less than 10 seconds to narrow
your address down to three possibilites in WI & one in MD.

Perhaps John has nothing to hide.

Old December 30th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message
The big problem with receipts is that they can be used for selling votes.

That's a "big" problem? I would expect anyone involved in a major
vote-purchasing scheme would simply take advantage of absentee ballots. You
don't buy the behavior of the voter. You just buy their absentee ballot
(signed, of course).

I don't really think receipts are all that necessary (a single printed
ballot should be sufficient), but I don't see that they would present a big
problem either.

Pete

Old December 30th 05, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:53:27 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
. net::

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:53:19 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
. net::

Clinton lied repeatedly under oath. Among his lies was his response to
the
question, "I think I used the term 'sexual affair.' And so the record is
completely clear, have you ever had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky,
as that term is defined in Deposition Exhibit 1, as modified by the
Court?"
His answer was, "I have never had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky.
I've never had an affair with her."

I've had some trouble parsing your sentences above, but here's a fair
analysis of the issue:

I wrote only one complete sentence above. What part of, "Clinton lied
repeatedly under oath.", are you having trouble parsing?

It was the sentences following that one. How was I to know that you
didn't write the sentences following that one? Were they a quote?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...jury092498.htm
Clinton asserted his answers were technically accurate. He
considered an affair to mean intercourse and interpreted "sexual
relations" not to include oral sex performed on him. "Sexual
relations" was defined as follows: "A person engages in 'sexual
relations' when the person knowingly engages in or causes contact
with the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh or buttocks
of any person with an intent to arouse or gratify the sexual
desire of any person."

However, Marriam-Webster's definition is:

Main Entry:sexual relations
Function:noun plural
Date:1950

: COITUS

Main Entry:coitus
Pronunciation:*k*-*-t*s, k*-**-, *k*i-t*s
Function:noun
Etymology:Latin, from coire
Date:1855

: physical union of male and female genitalia accompanied by
rhythmic movements usually leading to the ejaculation of semen
from the penis into the female reproductive tract; also :
INTERCOURSE 3 compare ORGASM
-coital \-t*l\ adjective
-coitally \-t*l-*\ adverb

So, while Clinton's statement may not have agreed with the legal
definition of 'sexual relations', his statement appears to have been
consistent with the accepted meaning of the phrase.

The term "sexual relations" was very specifically defined for use in the
proceeding. "For the purposes of this deposition, a person engages in
sexual relations when the person knowingly engages in or causes . . .
contact with the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh, or buttocks of
any person with an intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any
person. . . . 'Contact' means intentional touching, either directly or
through clothing."

So the question of Clinton's alleged guilt hinges on whether or not he
was aware of that strict procedural definition at the time he answered
the questions.

Old December 30th 05, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

So the question of Clinton's alleged guilt hinges on whether or not he
was aware of that strict procedural definition at the time he answered
the questions.

No, even the common sense definition would have sufficed.

Matt
Old December 30th 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

It was the sentences following that one. How was I to know that you
didn't write the sentences following that one?

The quotation marks should have tipped you off.

Were they a quote?

Yes.

So the question of Clinton's alleged guilt hinges on whether or not he
was aware of that strict procedural definition at the time he answered
the questions.

Yes, and he was.

Old December 30th 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:14:11 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
et::

Here's what you wrote:

Clinton lied repeatedly under oath. Among his lies was his
response to the question, "I think I used the term 'sexual
affair.' And so the record is completely clear, have you ever had
sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky, as that term is defined in
Deposition Exhibit 1, as modified by the Court?" His answer was,
"I have never had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky. I've
never had an affair with her."

The quotation marks do not enclose everything other than the first
sentence (which you claim was the *only* one you wrote. In the future
you might consider citing the source of your quotations, so that it is
more apparent that they were not written by you.

Old December 30th 05, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here's what you wrote:

Clinton lied repeatedly under oath. Among his lies was his
response to the question, "I think I used the term 'sexual
affair.' And so the record is completely clear, have you ever had
sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky, as that term is defined in
Deposition Exhibit 1, as modified by the Court?" His answer was,
"I have never had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky. I've
never had an affair with her."

The quotation marks do not enclose everything other than the first
sentence (which you claim was the *only* one you wrote.

Look again. The first sentence is not enclosed in quotation marks.

In the future
you might consider citing the source of your quotations, so that it is
more apparent that they were not written by you.

What would be the point of enclosing my own words in quotation marks?

In the future you might consider thinking before replying. It should have
been obvious that the source was the deposition mentioned in the articles of
impeachment. That's what we were discussing.

Old December 30th 05, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:49:56 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
::

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

Here's what you wrote:

Clinton lied repeatedly under oath. Among his lies was his
response to the question, "I think I used the term 'sexual
affair.' And so the record is completely clear, have you ever had
sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky, as that term is defined in
Deposition Exhibit 1, as modified by the Court?" His answer was,
"I have never had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky. I've
never had an affair with her."

The quotation marks do not enclose everything other than the first
sentence (which you claim was the *only* one you wrote.

Look again. The first sentence is not enclosed in quotation marks.

Right. But there are other portions of what you wrote above that are
also not enclosed in quotation marks, however you imply you didn't
write them. Who wrote the text that isn't enclosed in quotations
marks other than the first sentence?

The quotation marks only enclose what Clinton said, apparently. The
quotation you cited is not set within quotation marks or otherwise
indicated to be other than your words.

In the future
you might consider citing the source of your quotations, so that it is
more apparent that they were not written by you.

What would be the point of enclosing my own words in quotation marks?

I have not implied that you should do that. How did you manage to
infer such an inane notion from what I wrote?

In the future you might consider thinking before replying.

What makes you think I didn't?

It should have been obvious that the source was the deposition mentioned
in the articles of impeachment.

It wasn't.

That's what we were discussing.

Please provide the Message-ID of the article in this thread that
mentions the "articles of impeachment." I don't recall seeing that
phrase in this thread at all.
Old December 30th 05, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Ash Wyllie" wrote)
Receipts can be easily faked also. Even with the bat codes on them, if
let's say 6 million were faked, are we going to try to recertify 6
million receipts by hand?

The big problem with receipts is that they can be used for selling votes.

Thomas Edison
1868: Came up with his first patented invention, an Electrical Vote
Recorder. Application for this patent was signed 0n October 11, 1968.
Because the invention was way ahead of its time, it was heartily denigrated
by politicians... He now becomes much more oriented towards making certain
there is a strong public demand and associated market for anything he tries
to invent.

Tripped over this while surfing.

Montblack

Old December 30th 05, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here's what you wrote:

Clinton lied repeatedly under oath. Among his lies was his
response to the question, "I think I used the term 'sexual
affair.' And so the record is completely clear, have you ever had
sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky, as that term is defined in
Deposition Exhibit 1, as modified by the Court?" His answer was,
"I have never had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky. I've
never had an affair with her."

The quotation marks do not enclose everything other than the first
sentence (which you claim was the *only* one you wrote. In the future
you might consider citing the source of your quotations, so that it is
more apparent that they were not written by you.

Isn't Steven the same guy who lifted an entire article from Snopes.com and
didn't quote it, thus implying he wrote it? He provided a link at the end
but never gave any attribution as to the reason for the link.