Student Drop-Out Rates...why?

Old August 24th 05, 11:12 PM
Jose

Aviation doesn't appeal to many of those who
can afford it.

WHY?

For the same reason that fishing doesn't.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
Old August 25th 05, 12:00 AM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
Amen. After my recent high blood pressure scare, I lost 25 pounds. (And
I've been working out regularly for several years.)

I gave blood this past Monday.
When the nurse took my bp for the screening, it was 150/84.
I had been drinking ice tea all morning and had just walked 1/4-mile to
the church where the blood drive was.
Old August 25th 05, 12:10 AM
Don Tuite

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:34:49 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

It's not crude price increases which are causing the increase in oil
industry profits lately. It's world demand for refined product (we have
to import actual gasoline now, too), and limited refinery capacity in
this country -- a supply-demand problem. The gov't could easily cause
refineries to be built with changes in environmental regulations, so the
cause of the "windfall profits" is essentially -- our gov't!

Well said.

We are dangerously low on refinery capacity, and current EPA regulations
make it essentially impossible to build any more in the U.S.

It's insane, but it's the law.

Nah. It's the Nimbys. Refineries lower property values. I like W's
suggestion to use old military bases for refineries. They're already
superfund sites.

Don
(Onizuka AFB's shutting according to this morning's news. Too small
for a refinery, though. I hope that eventually Moffet winds up as a
reliever and we can sneak in there when Palo Alto closes. We need to
keep Moffet operational for a few more years until the companies
around here start to need parking for their VLJs.).
Old August 25th 05, 12:30 AM
Michael

Fair enough - you didn't mention an autopilot. But I can't concieve of
one of these being marketed without one.

I'm thinking full time wing leveler. Mooney used to do that. You had
to press a button to turn. I would add GPSS to it, and there you are.

Lots of present day pilots swear by George already.

Yup. Some of them are airline pilots. The Airbus is a tribute to this
sort of thinking. At 400 ft the autopilot goes on, and MAYBE it gets
disconnected on short final.

Don't confuse "simple" with "simplistic". It would most certainly NOT
reduce regulation

Yes it would. Once people with money started flying in quantity, they
simply would not tolerate the heavy-handedness of the FAA and all its
rules. Too many of them would have the money to hire lawyers, the
connections to have the DOT inspector general investigate the FAA (and
we know that historically the FAA can't stand that sort of scrutiny -
too many skeletons in those closets), and pretty soon the FAA would
have to back off. Way off. Not because flying would get safer
(although with some serious technology it might - cars have) but
because numbers mean political clout.

Motorcycles are just as dangerous as GA, and how much regulation is
there on them?

Even if they don't fail much, with lots of them out there, they will
fail often enough to make ATC into AAA.

No doubt. They will deal. Or they will get outsourced to LockMar and
their replacements will deal. And pilots will pay $100/year for AAA (I
mean ATC) services.

Even if they never fail, I don't see the average joe who can't
program their VCR making head or tail out of what it does when it dishes
out an "interface surprise"

The VCR was a perfect example of a lousy UI. That's why people STILL
can't program them. No need, though. We now have TiVo, and everyone
can use it.

Michael

Old August 25th 05, 01:54 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:34:49 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
ZJ5Pe.62754$084.27147@attbi_s22::

We are dangerously low on refinery capacity, and current EPA regulations
make it essentially impossible to build any more in the U.S.

It's insane, but it's the law.

So you wouldn't have any problem with a new refinery coming on-line up
wind of your abode?

Old August 25th 05, 02:47 AM

Earl Grieda wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

..snip

I come from a boating family and it's enlightening to compare the two.
Boating is unregulated and almost solely recreational. Flying is
heavily regulated and has utility as a means of transportation.

Boats might be a source of fun, but they can be, and are, used for
transportation. Come visit the Chesapeake Bay area and you will see plenty
of boats out for fun, while also being used to go somewhere.

This is a marginal case. The number of trips in which a boat can beat a
car are very limited. You can drive from anywhere on the Connecticut
coast to Newport RI faster than you can go by anything short of a
cigarette boat. If you want to go across the Sound, however, even a 6kt
sailboat can beat a car that has to cover 10x the distance. Geography
defines it.

Likewise, while no one would call a 172 a traveling airplane, I get a
lot of utility out of mine living in Boston. In the summer you can do
brunch on the Vineyard, then go shopping in Nantucket, and be back in
time for dinner. Rutland, VT is ~100nm as the crow flies or 150nm by
road, so you can beat a car there door-to-door if the winds aren't too
bad. But we're still just going next door, relatively speaking.

At 150 knots, Montreal becomes a day trip from Boston. At 180-200, you
fly to Florida on Friday afternoon and come back Sunday. This is the
kind of travel capability that really gets people excited. It's also
one that in the current system demands a relatively large amount of
pilot skill, whereas steering a boat across the Chesapeake is something
most 12-year-olds could do.

-cwk.

-cwk.

Old August 25th 05, 02:53 AM
Jose

Once people with money started flying in quantity, they
simply would not tolerate the heavy-handedness of the
FAA and all its rules.

I don't see that happening to the conclusion you draw. People with
money are =already= flying in quantity, just not as pilots. Air taxi
rules don't seem to have been affected.

Motorcycles are just as dangerous as GA, and how much regulation is
there on them?

Motorcycles are not as dangerous to other people as GA.

The VCR was a perfect example of a lousy UI.

It has been superseded by the GPS.

Jose
Old August 25th 05, 03:03 AM
George Patterson

Larry Dighera wrote:

Oh yeah. That was the year he was impeached, wasn't it.

Nixon was never impeached.

George Patterson