Landing light CB

Old August 23rd 04, 12:18 AM
Hankal

Well, ONE of you is wrong. Either the original poster made a typo or you
made
an incorrect interpretation. Tell me, though, just for grins, what year

and/or
model 172 had this "engineering screwup" so that I can go back through the

TCDS

Ok here are the facts.
The plane is a 1973 Cessna 172 M.
The landing light is a 4522. 250 watt at 14 volts. By ohms law is draws 17.86
amps.
The Circuit Breaker Part number is S-1360-20---20 amp
This is from the equipment table on page 20-35
Either the Cessna book is wrong or the light should be of lower wattage or the
circuit breaker should be of a higher amperage.
Hank
Old August 23rd 04, 11:58 PM
Dan Thomas

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
om...
The 4522 bulb is a 250 watt bulb at 13 volts.

He wrote 4552, not 4522. The 4552 is a 28v 250W part, putting the current
at below 10A. A 20A breaker ought to be entirely sufficient.

If his post has a typo, and he actually means a 4522 bulb, then of course
your post offers very useful information.

Pete

Here's what the original poster said in a subsequent post in
rec.aviation.owning:

Nobody looks it up. The 4522 lamp is usually used in a swing-down

lamp.

The landing lamp is a GE 4522.

If I posted different, then it is my error and I appologize.
Hank

I assumed a typo right off, since I knew of no 4552 in any 172s.

And after Jim Weir razzed me, I doublechecked the Cessna parts
manual again, and for a whole serial number range they call for a 4522
bulb on a 20 amp breaker. They DO make mistakes sometimes.

Dan
Old August 24th 04, 09:56 PM

That's all funny. I'm sure the bulbs for our two cowl mounted lights
in our 172M are a 4509s. Maybe our two bulb system is different?
But, we were going thru bulbs at an incredible rate when I happened to
try two fixes to the problem - unfortunately at the same time so I
don't know which one worked.

The problem - I think the filaments vibrate due to cowl vibration.
Hold a good bulb to your ear and rap it sharply with a finger tip.
Hear the lightly damped ringing iside. We thought maybe we needed
some vibration isolation even though the cowl is floating.

Fixes?

1) I sprayed silicon on the cowl baffling strips to minimize the
friction between the engine vibration and the cowl surfaces. We later
added teflon tape to the interface surfaces on the cowl interior.

2) I added four 8-32 rubber shock mounts between the landing lite
brackets and the cowl as a secondary vibration isolator. This spaced
the lites back maybe 3/8 inch, but there seemed to be room for
everything.

We have not replaced a cowl light in about 10 years.

I don't know which scheme worked but it sure did.
Old August 25th 04, 02:53 AM
Dan Thomas

) wrote in message . com...
That's all funny. I'm sure the bulbs for our two cowl mounted lights
in our 172M are a 4509s. Maybe our two bulb system is different?

172M's used both the single 4522 and the twin 4509s. We have two
M models, both with the twin lights, but the parts manual shows that
the single bulb was installed in some serial numbers.

[...]

There's a cowl shock mount used as a bumber in the cowling,
and it rides against a small plate bolted to the alternator mounting
bracket on the engine. It's supposed to keep the cowl roughly in line
with the prop hub, but as the engine mount rubbers sag, the engine
contacts the bumber rather firmly and shakes the daylights out of the
cowl and anything attached to it, like landing lights. That bumber
rubber gets hot enough from being pounded and rubbed that it can melt.
Some folks turn the landing lights 90 degrees in their mounts to
get the filaments vertical rather than horizontal, and they claim
better bulb life. Others use the Q4509 or H7604, which are the same as
4509s but with a separate quartz/halogen bulb within the main
envelope. These have a life expectancy of 100 hours rather than 25.
I wish Cessna had left the lights in the wing leading edges, or
had not gone to the rubber-mounted cowlings. We have a couple of
Citabrias with 4509s in the cowls, and they get good life because the
cowls are rigidly mounted to the firewall and the engine has no
contact other than through baffle seals. The cowl doesn't get shaken
up.

Dan
Old August 30th 04, 08:32 PM

[...]

The resonant frequency of the filament system of a 4509 bulb has to be
in the several KHz range, and the damping is incredibly low, since it
takes place in a vacuum. Exciting that combination with an 80 Hz
complex waveshape thru a rubber bumper would normally seem hard to me
(based on my experience with vibration) in that we'd be dealing with
maybe a 40th harmonic. The front cowl mount is still soft after all
these years in our 172M.

At any rate that's why I tried to isolate the bulb mounts from the
cowl, and also minimize the stick-slip of the baffling-cowl interface.
From experience in unrelated applications, stick-slip effects can
create a lot of very high freq harmonic content.

I had heard of rotating the lites, but didn't try that.