Personal Weather Minimums

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 30th 03, 05:49 PM
FryGuy

Default Personal Weather Minimums

I just wanted to open a discussion regarding other's personal weather
minimums for VFR flights. I recently received my PPL ASEL certificate in
July and most of the days that I have flown have been very nice days.
Yesterday though I got caught a bit off guard and it prompted me to set a
few minimums for myself.

The sky was perfectly clear, the temperature was mid 50's but it was windy
and gusty. In my training I was fairly proficient with cross-winds and my
home airport has two strips so usually I'd be landing with a 45 degree
component or less. Yesterday however winds were sustained around 15 knots
and gusts to 20+. I took off from Wilmington, NC (KILM) in a Cessna 172
and flew a couple of friends to lunch in North Myrtle Beach (KCRE). One of
my friends I found out gets air/sea/car sick very easily and he didn't take
anything before hand. It was a fairly rough ride and a rough day for him.
When we landed in Myrtle the winds of course were roughly 90 degrees but
only around 10 knots so it wasn't that bad. I did well with the landing
but I was a bit nervous. On the return the wind in Wilmington was much
stronger but only about a 60 degree component. The landing wasn't great
but it was safe. When I kicked the rudder to line up the plane I didn't
lower the left wing enough and moved towards the right side of the runway.

I realize that everyone is going to be different based on experience level
but I'm trying to get others thoughts for inexperienced pilots like myself.
Please comment on ceilings, winds, and visibility.