Oshkosh secrets?

Old February 21st 04, 02:13 AM
Bob Fry

"Ken Finney" writes:

I was kinda sorta thinking about going to Oshkosh this year for the first
time, but from what I'm reading on the net, it isn't the easiest thing to
do. Apparently, the local hotels are all booked a year in advance, and if
you try to drive in, expect to spend a lot of time in line. So, for those
that have been there before, are there secrets? Like: fly (commercially)
into Milwaukee, stay at X hotel 50 miles from Oshkosh, and they have a
shuttle bus that gets to use a special gate and avoid the lines?

Not the easiest thing, but not hard either. I've been twice: once
driving, and once flew in an Aircoupe. This is from California.
Anyway, housing is certainly obtainable at this time of the year.
First time I stayed in a private house at Fond du Lac, second time at
the nearby dorms. I liked the dorms: cheap, clean, great meals across
the street, shuttle bus to AirVenture.

If you've never been, you really do need to go at least once. You
will see things in one time and place it would take 20 years to see
elsewhere. It's all very well organized and run, you won't regret the
effort you put into your arrangements.
Old February 21st 04, 03:02 AM
Checkursix

Hey, Ron...You going to Osh THIS year??

I am for my FIRST visit. I am driving up from San Antonio, Texas..
If you are going to be there then I might be able to put my hand in yours
and thank you for all you have done with the FlyBaby Yahoo Group andthe
great webpage you have!!

Bob Severance
"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:10:39 GMT, "Ken Finney"
wrote:

I was kinda sorta thinking about going to Oshkosh this year for the first
time, but from what I'm reading on the net, it isn't the easiest thing to
do. Apparently, the local hotels are all booked a year in advance, and

if
you try to drive in, expect to spend a lot of time in line. So, for

those
that have been there before, are there secrets? Like: fly (commercially)
into Milwaukee, stay at X hotel 50 miles from Oshkosh, and they have a
shuttle bus that gets to use a special gate and avoid the lines?

I fly commercial into Milwaukee, rent a car, and drive up. I haven't

found
the auto-lines that intimidating, but then, I'm not arriving just when the
place opens, either (nor do I depart after the show ends). I've stayed at
hotels three times (two in Osh, one in Fond du Lac), private homes twice.
Two of the hotels had been close to a shuttle bus stop, otherwise, I just
drove. Riding the shuttle off the show grounds was a lot easier (and a
shorter walk!) than driving and parking, but the lines for the busses were
occasionally a bit long, too.

Once getting away from the immediate confines of the airport, I've never
found traffic to be very severe. Then again, it depends on how much
driving you normally do to get anywhere at home...I wouldn't find a
45-minute commute to Oshkosh objectionable, but somebody from a smaller
town might. I was trying to arrange just such a situation last year, but

nice private home came up just south of town (~10 minute drive).

Ron Wanttaja

Old February 21st 04, 05:43 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 03:02:50 GMT, "Checkursix"
wrote:

Hey, Ron...You going to Osh THIS year??

Not as far as I know. My attendance over the last two years was driven by
outside events rather than my own intentions....

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 21st 04, 01:34 PM
Deckard

I have to agree with the camping. I have been 7 times and camped each time.
And take a bicycle. During midday when it is crowded you can go back to your
camp spot and relax and not be forced to eat $5 hamburgers and drink $3
sodas or water. Go back out on the flight line after the airshow is over
and the crowds are gone for the day. It makes the experience a lot better.
Jerry
"Jeff Franks" wrote in message
. ..
no no no no no.

Pay no attention to these people!

The only way to experience OSH is to camp. Either fly in and sleep under
your wing/in tent. Or drive in and sleep in whatever you want to bring
(you'll see anything from tarps over motorcycles to $500k buses).

Lines are non existent and your stirred awake each morning by the sound of

radial engine.

Hotels...pshh.

Old February 22nd 04, 05:40 AM
John

I have been going for 20 years and have camped in a tent under the
wing for 18 of those years. If you want to park close to the showers
you need to get there at least two days before the official start of
the show.
You will do a LOT of walking, 10+ miles per day.

John

Old February 23rd 04, 03:07 AM
Jay Honeck

Pay no attention to these people!

The only way to experience OSH is to camp. Either fly in and sleep under
your wing/in tent. Or drive in and sleep in whatever you want to bring
(you'll see anything from tarps over motorcycles to $500k buses).

Agree 1000%. The ONLY way to experience OSH is to wake up to the yodeler.

Mary and I will -- God willing and the creek don't rise -- be attending our
22nd consecutive OSH this year. We started on a motorcycle, progressed to a
van, worked our way up to a camper, then to a Piper Warrior, and now we
arrive in a Piper Pathfinder.

It's the only place to be during the last week in July...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 23rd 04, 11:28 PM
Errol Groff

Probably the best thing to arrive at OSH with is a good attitude.
There will be crowds. There will be lines. There will be time when
you wonder why you bothered.

And then there is the rest which makes it all worth while.

I vote with the campers. My first year was '71 and I have been going
most years since. The great motortbike wreck of '80 and the triple
bypass surgery of '00 were a couple of misses but othere than that I
have been there most years. One problem is my anniversary it 6
August. More than once I have been there and the wife has been in CT.
That is a tricky balancing act I can tell you!

I meet up each year with a pal from Ohio whom I met there in '78 and
we share a tent site. Good fellowship and airplanes. What more could
you ask for.

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/...0Ed%20Page.htm
shows my tent and traveling companions. Roy and Eddie are the best
travelers. Never complain and never ask "are we there yet"?

Another suggestion. Find a volunteer task. Participation beats
freeloading and gets you much more into the Oshkosh spirit.

Looking forward to seeing you there this summer. Just look for the
boys relaxing in front of the red, white and blue tent.

Errol Groff
EAA 60159

Old February 25th 04, 03:25 AM
Jim Weir

I met her at Oshkosh.

I got engaged to her at Oshkosh.

I married her at Oshkosh.

We celebrate our anniversary at Oshkosh every year. Together. Saves a lot of
hassle.

Jim

Errol Groff

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old February 25th 04, 03:47 AM
Richard Lamb

Jim Weir wrote:

I met her at Oshkosh.

I got engaged to her at Oshkosh.

I married her at Oshkosh.

We celebrate our anniversary at Oshkosh every year. Together. Saves a lot of
hassle.

Jim

Does she have a sister???
Old February 25th 04, 04:06 AM
Bart D. Hull

Richard Lamb wrote:

Jim Weir wrote:

I met her at Oshkosh.

I got engaged to her at Oshkosh.

I married her at Oshkosh.

We celebrate our anniversary at Oshkosh every year. Together. Saves a lot of
hassle.

Jim

Does she have a sister???

How about a 20 something daughter for us younger types.

;-)

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona