Celeb Sitings at FBO's

Old January 30th 04, 11:15 PM
Maule Driver

Well, very often. After all, that's what happens over "on the other side of
the airport". A couple of those celebrity sightings is what made me realize
how nice it is to be able to use the FBO at major airports instead of
searching around for the lowest cost fuel and free tiedown at Podunk. It's
not the celebrity sightings that makes it nice but rather location,
facilities and services. It's a luxury to not have to go thru the cattle
chute, 'er I mean, the passenger terminal.

One that kind of cracked me up was seeing NASCAR celeb Richard Petty alight
from his King Air. The guy understands image marketing (or he's shy as
hell). As dusk settled on KGSO, he exited the King Air with hat and
sunglasses and western suit all in place. He was meeting no one and was
with no one except a small entourage but he stayed in character thru the
little FBO and out to whereever. I'm sure it's not a natural act to keep
the hat and shades on while moving one's carcass from King Air seat to bed
somewhere but he was up to it.

BTW, I love NASCAR even though I don't know squat about it other than they
all fly and that means top quality GA airports all over the Carolinas. Long
live NASCAR! GO PANTHERS!!

"Ben Smith" wrote in message
How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera

guys
in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
story about him the night before...

Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he

was
alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old January 30th 04, 11:21 PM
Maule Driver

"Ben Smith" wrote in message
How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder).

One person's celeb is another's "who is that?". I wouldn't know Joe Francis
from a hole.

But isn't it kind of funny how you know when you see some people that they
are anticipating being recognized because of some level of celeb status.
But when you don't have a clue you can sometimes sense a bit of regret
mixed with relief on their part.

Old January 31st 04, 04:45 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:14:33 GMT, Christine Powers
wrote:

I saw Rudi Gulliani at ISP one day. Showed up in a G with a entourage
that included a bunch of guys that looked like mafia hit-men.

With a last name like that, they probaly were.:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dave Reinhart

Old January 31st 04, 04:50 AM
Jeff Franks

BTW, I love NASCAR even though I don't know squat about it other than they
all fly and that means top quality GA airports all over the Carolinas.

Long
live NASCAR! GO PANTHERS!!

I enjoy watching the races, and was even talked into going to a race at
Talledega a few years back. Although it was fun, the best part was sitting
on the car waiting for the traffic to clear....we watched most of the
drivers take off from the ajoining airport. Some niiiiicceee planes in
those fleets.

I won't comment on the Panthers bit

Old January 31st 04, 12:44 PM
ShawnD2112

Interesting point. I met the captain of the England Rugby team in my local
pub (he is also captain of the Leicester Foxes professional rugy team).
Now, I'm not a sports fan, much less a rugby fan, so I wouldn't have known
this guy from a hole in the ground. I just chatted to him as he waited for
a drink at the bar. Asked him what he did for a living. After a short
pause and blank look, he told me he played rugby (at which point I lost
interest, to be frank), but we chatted a bit about that for a couple of
minutes. it wasn't until later in the week that I saw a national paper that
I recognized who he, and 3 of his mates, were.

I think he was distinctly unimpressed that I wasn't impressed. i still
kinda chuckle about that.

Shawn
"Maule Driver" wrote in message
. com...

Old January 31st 04, 01:25 PM
Thomas Borchert

Ben,

I saw Aerosmith arrive in Hamburg, Germany one day.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 31st 04, 01:25 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

Tom Cruise was coming in
his P-51 Mustang.

Is he even a pilot?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 31st 04, 02:31 PM
Jim Fisher

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
We see them fairly regularly. We have had ( . . .) Girls Gone
Wild,

All of 'em?

--
Jim Fisher

Old January 31st 04, 03:02 PM
EDR

In article , Jeff Franks
wrote:

I enjoy watching the races, and was even talked into going to a race at
Talledega a few years back. Although it was fun, the best part was sitting
on the car waiting for the traffic to clear....we watched most of the
drivers take off from the ajoining airport. Some niiiiicceee planes in
those fleets.

You missed a great opportunity!
Arriving and departing are kind of like AirVenture, only less
organization.

The heavy iron gets to sit on the paved ramps, the rest of us get to
park on the grass. (You can even camp if you are parked by the trees!)
We arrived "late", just in time to get parked and hitch a ride to the
south side stands, get seated and watch the start of the race. Straight
in approach from the north, no other traffic.

Departing, if you are quick, you can get to your airplane, crank, taxi
and depart before the line starts forming.

I had to pay for fuel, so by the time I got back to the plane the line
was already 1.5 miles long.

We elected to pull our Bonanza from the grass to the taxiway by the
runway (a good one half-mile, slightly uphill). We were at the south
end of the field, traffic was departing to the south, so we had the
full length of the taxiway to go. We pulled the airplane for the first
couple hundred feet, at which point the aircraft ahead began to start
up.

The temporary tower was stuffing heavy iron on IFR flight plans into
the line at intervals, allowing the VFR aircraft to depart quickly.

We got to the airplane following the race at 4:30 pm.
We were wheels off at 7:00 pm.
Another Bonanza ahead of us let his engine run the entire 2.5 hours we
were waiting on the ground.
Old January 31st 04, 03:27 PM
Richard Hertz

Nancy Reagan showed up at PHF for the ceremony for launching the aircraft
carrier. I was wondering what all these guys with earpieces were doing
around the FBO - secret service - these guys must have been the 3rd
string - they didn't really impress me much, though maybe that is part of
the routine.

That FBO also was frequented by a guy who used a King Air to fly convicts
around. I have to say that was a great inspiration - being paid to fly
(making real money) and carrying firearms.

I saw the (then) governor of NJ fly into a MD airport (forget which one)
when I was checking out a plane to buy. Christie Whitman (sp?)
They didn't get many twins at this airport - it was a really short field, so
everyone was craning their necks to see what was going on.