SSA Booth April 4-6 at nations largest RC exhibition

Old March 29th 14, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default SSA Booth April 4-6 at nations largest RC exhibition

On Friday, March 28, 2014 4:04:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:24:49 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:

Perhaps the RC folks believe it is as common to crash a glider as it is to crash an RC glider...

Ramy

It's a combination of that and cost. They feel there is a certain risk and that flying RC airplanes, gliders, helis and perhaps FPV fulfills their aviation needs safely and at much less cost.

Careful with generalizations. It all depends on the individual.

I recall a visit to my model airplane club in Alamogordo, NM by Larry Edgar and possibly John Robinson who presented a talk with 16mm movies of the Sierra Wave Project. As a 16 year old, It was like WOW! A few years later I discovered an LK10A at Lake Elsinore, CA that I could buy a ride in - I wasted no time. One ride and I was hooked.
Old March 29th 14, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Tucson Soaring Club has several members (myself included) who started out life as aircraft modelers, some of whom transitioned through hang-gliders or paragliders.

Some of our members even fly big RC planes for a living!

Mike
Old March 29th 14, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:42:52 PM UTC-4, gotovkotzepkoi wrote:

The more virtual soaring simulates the 3D
experience of real flying the easier and cheaper it will become for fat
little kids to sit in their basements on beautiful sunny days with the
shades drawn in front of their humming computers

Seriously. Transitioning to virtual soaring is part of my life plan for 5-15 years down the road. I aim to accumulate as much real world soaring experience as possible in the meantime, because I'm pretty sure that real world soaring experience/memories will make virtual soaring much more fun.

If Condor ever upgrades such that the sceneries and other graphics are more realistic then virtual soaring will take off too and make real soaring seem

quaint, expensive and dangerous to many.

Acknowledging and dealing with the REAL risk of fatality or injury is part of what makes soaring compelling. That factor is part of all 'mortal sports', SCUBA, Sky diving, Mountain Climbing, Skiing, Auto racing, Hunting and Target Shooting etc.. Shooting a real gun at a target is a lot more fun than shooting an air-pistol. Gambling is exciting and it is especially rewarding when skill and attentiveness mitigates the risks. To get anything close to same reward in the virtual world, you have to pretend that you can die, or plug into memories of past experiences.

Old March 29th 14, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:46:31 -0700, son_of_flubber wrote:

And I suppose that (especially if you build your own model planes) your
risk of crash and loss ups the ante by adding real mitigatable risk
(compared to sims).

Don't forget I said I fly Free Flight models. No RC. No control after
launch. Read this if the term is unfamiliar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_f...el_aircraft%29

The main risks for a F/F model are loss if the dethermaliser doesn't work
or landing damage. If you're flying on a nice field, neither is very
likely.

I wonder if the life transitions sim_flying -- real_flying and
real_flying -- sim_flying are equivalent? I've relatively little
sim_flying experience (exclusively Condor)and it seems very real to me.
Plus some older minds are better able to revel in reminiscent.

To my mind, the limited field of view is a major,MAJOR demerit, which is
why I mentioned wanting some sort of spherical projection system or the
type of VR goggles that don't yet exist. In addition, you really want a
sound system that can make a decent fist of reproducing airflow noise as
well as the vario and FLARM sounds and, I still think some full motion
system wound be nice.

That said, I will probably give the RC glider scene a try as some point.

I have friends who fly F3K discus launch RC gliders: that looks
interesting.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 29th 14, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Two Shoes (Judson Knowles)

Discus launches are so cool! Amazing ho high they can get them up...

Old March 30th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Realistic? When you "fly" Condor, do your feet get cold? Do you hear the
"hiss" of the oxygen regulator? Do you pee in a baggie or get up and go to
the bathroom? When you "land out" do you wait hours for a retrieve (while
drinking beer with a pleasant farmer) or do you simply rewind to launch
point and have another go?

"son_of_flubber" wrote in message
On Saturday, March 29, 2014 1:28:00 PM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:

If/when flying becomes unsafe for me, I may well remain a social club

member but I'll give simming a miss and return to model flying instead:

Old March 30th 14, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:13:52 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Realistic? When you "fly" Condor, do your feet get cold?

Yep. I put my feet in a pan of ice water. Definitely adds to the realism.
Old March 30th 14, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:21:06 PM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:

To my mind, the limited field of view is a major,MAJOR demerit, which is

why I mentioned wanting some sort of spherical projection system or the

type of VR goggles that don't yet exist.

A properly adjusted TrackIR helps a lot with that. But yeah, agreed, MAYBE Condor will step up and support Occulus Rift. (But probably not.)

I expect/hope that an up-to-date modern soaring sim will come from somebody like http://xtremesoaring3d.com/ It would be great if xtremesoaring3d could be used as client to interact with other users using the Condor server for group flying.

Old March 30th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:21:06 PM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:

I have friends who fly F3K discus launch RC gliders: that looks
interesting.

Oh wow. Gotta try that this summer. Looks like something one could find in the geographic aura of MIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGvllx83zAw
Old March 30th 14, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I'll be bringing mine (Blaster 2) to Perry. They are great fun and a lot easier to master than it looks! I can usually train people to make 150-200 ft launches in 5-10 minutes.