So where you flying for Turkey Day?

Old November 20th 05, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default So where you flying for Turkey Day?

Going to Grandma's house.
Having got my lic earlier this year I'll be using it to fly over the traffic
to visit the the family captive on Long Island.

Time saved ? a breakeven if you count the time to the airport, preflight,
time at the other end etc.
Cost ? Alot more expensive. (passing econmics is not a requirement to fly)

Why do it ? It so much more fun. Flying over JFK, the city view, flying
down the South Shore. Just great. I also need more XC time as I'm working
on my IFR lic so why not.

Old November 20th 05, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:45:16 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Anyone going anywhere cool?

Going along with the season..... Thankful I am able to do this!

Mike Bravo Oscar to Lima Three One.

A short 1.1 hour flight vs Interstate 55 to Interstate 12 with lots of
cars, kinda a no brainer....

Allen
Old November 20th 05, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Anyone going anywhere cool?
--

Somewhere ... anywhere ... but at least a couple of hours of X-C

Happy Thanksgiving y'all

Don

Old November 20th 05, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"A Lieberman" wrote:

A short 1.1 hour flight vs Interstate 55 to Interstate 12 with lots of
cars, kinda a no brainer....

One of the best things about flying for the holidays is watching the
traffic jams below. What's the word...schadenfreude?

What's your ETA?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 20th 05, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:53:02 -0600, Dan Luke wrote:

"A Lieberman" wrote:

A short 1.1 hour flight vs Interstate 55 to Interstate 12 with lots of
cars, kinda a no brainer....

One of the best things about flying for the holidays is watching the
traffic jams below. What's the word...schadenfreude?

What's your ETA?

Hey Dan,

Mid afternoon on Wednesday is a guestimate. I will know much more either
tomorrow or Tuesday. I will post when I know.

My wife has an eye appointment Wednesday morning and need to clear it thru
the doc whether flying will affect her eyes. "Eye pressure" problems (AKA
early stages of glaucoma) and not sure if she will get the full exam or
just a cursory check.

If there is any adverse affect, then we will come down rise and shine on
Thursday morning.

Allen
Old November 20th 05, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If I don't get rid of this cold, I'll be "flying" multiple aircraft....
couch, bed, recliner, desk.... all with the assistance of plenty of over the
counter meds.

If I do get rid of it, we won't know until the last minute if we have to
work or not... I hate holidays that fall on Thursday.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
We're supposedly heading for Lansing, MI, so spend a few days with my
sister. Given the wonderful weather on the lee-side of Lake Michigan at
this time of year, our fall-back trip is to Minneapolis, to visit Mr. and
Mrs. Montblack for a day or two.

If the weather *really* sucks, we'll hole up in the house and eat turkey
till we pop.

Anyone going anywhere cool?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 20th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
We're supposedly heading for Lansing, MI, so spend a few days with my
sister. Given the wonderful weather on the lee-side of Lake Michigan at
this time of year, our fall-back trip is to Minneapolis, to visit Mr. and
Mrs. Montblack for a day or two.

If the weather *really* sucks, we'll hole up in the house and eat turkey
till we pop.

Anyone going anywhere cool?

Well, I did actually make an interesting trip yesterday. I flew from my
home base Lockhart, TX (50R) to New Braunfels (BAZ), 21 NM away. At my
speeds, that's a major xcountry.
Found it with no navaids whatsoever, though I have flown in there before
years ago. I just flew a course and followed I-35 down until I (finally)
spotted the airport. Really enjoyed that...

But upon landing, there was the most heartbreaking restored '41 J3 Cub
I've ever seen flying in there. Up close, this thing looked absolutely
brand new (it was an antique Grand Champion in one of the local
competitions). It had an A-75 motor in it with electric start. That just
made the whole trip....

If I have the weather over the tnxgiving holidays, I want to do
LaGrange, TX (3T5, about 38NM) where a friend of mine has his Rans hangared.

That's one good thing about being slow - short distances are long
xcountries and sophisticated navaids aren't really needed to get around....

LS
N646F
Old November 20th 05, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay,

Hope you can make it this way, but the wx isn't looking good. Some
years ago after several nasty experiences with ice around the Great
Lakes over the Thanksgiving holiday, I quit flying during that time.
(For 25 years, until 3 years ago, lower Michigan got freezing rain at
least one of the holiday days - Wed through Sunday). The last three
years it has been better, and I'm going to try a flight to Iowa, hoping
I can fly instead of drive.

Jay, when one lives downwind of the Great Lakes, it is essential to
have an instrument rating if you wish to travel by little airplane with
any hope of making it even close the schedule you desire (that is,
within about 3 days). Only place I've ever lived where I could keep my
rating current with the normal flying I do, there is enough actual.
However, I do keep in mind that there have been a lot of winter days
when the instrument rating didn't help, because there was too much ice.
If what we are going to get is just lake-effect snow, it's not
possible VFR, but is no big deal IFR as the tops are low and there's
seldom much ice.

Have a great trip, no matter where you go, and enjoy the time with
family and friends.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Old November 20th 05, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Burns wrote:
If I don't get rid of this cold, I'll be "flying" multiple aircraft....
couch, bed, recliner, desk.... all with the assistance of plenty of over the
counter meds.

If I do get rid of it, we won't know until the last minute if we have to
work or not... I hate holidays that fall on Thursday.

Yes, these colds are bummers. I was planning to fly my daughter from
ELM to Grove City tomorrow for a college admission interview, but I'm
got a cold and not sure I want to fly. Although, the weather is looking
like it may hold VFR all day which makes it a lot easier. I won't fly
IFR with a cold.

Matt
Old November 20th 05, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
We're supposedly heading for Lansing, MI, so spend a few days with my
sister. Given the wonderful weather on the lee-side of Lake Michigan at
this time of year, our fall-back trip is to Minneapolis, to visit Mr. and
Mrs. Montblack for a day or two.

If the weather *really* sucks, we'll hole up in the house and eat turkey
till we pop.

Anyone going anywhere cool?

Airplane is in annual. Funny how that comes around once a year. I be
driving to NW Arkansas to be with my children and grandchildren. Hopw to
finish up next week. We are just going to take our time on this one.

Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving.

--
Regards,

Ross