Missing from the FAA database now

Old May 26th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Missing from the FAA database now

No, it means that the FAA is finally complying with the LAW!

Entry in the FAA database is voluntary. You can opt out if you wish.
Gees, I think its kinda cool. Are you running from someone? Worried
about back child support?

-Roberts

Old May 26th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I just noticed my dad is missing now. He's been dead for 20 years now
but it was cool to see him in there. I think its because you now need
to specify a state or country, neither which are in his records
anymore.

-Robert

Old May 26th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

".Blueskies." wrote in message
. com...
Permission in implied by the act of applying for the job, or the offering
of services, etc...

As Gig says, permission is not implied. Nor should it be. It's reasonable
for a prospective employer to make disclosure of such documents a prequisite
for hiring, but the employer needs to be explicit about that requirement,
and the applicant needs to be explicit about giving permission.

Old May 26th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Exactly. Someone seeking employment has the right to have any party
disclose any records they may have about that person. The point is that
the
party should not be disclosing that information without the express
permission of the person.

any relevant records, not any records.

While I agree that the disclosure should be limited to "relevant" records,
that's just not how it works. The person asking for the documents gets to
decide what's "relevant", and the person about whom the documents pertain
gets to decide whether to release the documents or not. At no point is
actual relevance a determining factor.

Pete

Old May 26th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Roy Smith wrote:
Ron Natalie wrote:
The public has no business knowing what ratings I have

I'm not sure I agree with you. Let's say I want to hire you as a pilot.
Should I not have the right to verify your credentials?

Then if they feel that is necessary, they should do so within the
law. They can't just violate the law because the feel that they
have a good reason to do otherwise.

In fact, there exist ways for commercial certificate holders to
check up on the status of employees through the FAA without using
the public database. Further, I wouldn't ever hire anybody
without actually seeing the paper anyhow.
Old May 26th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
No, it means that the FAA is finally complying with the LAW!

Entry in the FAA database is voluntary. You can opt out if you wish.
Gees, I think its kinda cool. Are you running from someone? Worried
about back child support?

-Roberts

No it wasn't voluntary up until of late. I have been beating on
the FAA since 2001 to get me out of the public database. I've
already indicated my reasons smart ass.
Old May 26th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No it wasn't voluntary up until of late. I have been beating on
the FAA since 2001 to get me out of the public database. I've
already indicated my reasons smart ass.

You must not be in the club. The FAA asked me about 4 years ago if I
wanted out of the public database. They sent me a letter saying all I
needed to do was to send the reply card to opt out. I know several
people who did.

-Robert

Old May 27th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
".Blueskies." wrote in message
. com...
Permission in implied by the act of applying for the job, or the offering of services, etc...

As Gig says, permission is not implied. Nor should it be. It's reasonable for a prospective employer to make
disclosure of such documents a prequisite for hiring, but the employer needs to be explicit about that requirement,
and the applicant needs to be explicit about giving permission.

The permission is usually in the form of the applicant's signature on the application form with all the fine print....

Old May 27th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

Exactly. Someone seeking employment has the right to have any party
disclose any records they may have about that person. The point is that
the
party should not be disclosing that information without the express
permission of the person.

any relevant records, not any records.

While I agree that the disclosure should be limited to "relevant" records,
that's just not how it works. The person asking for the documents gets to
decide what's "relevant", and the person about whom the documents pertain
gets to decide whether to release the documents or not. At no point is
actual relevance a determining factor.

How it works in practice (or the abuse that occurs) does not change that the
right to records is limited to those rights that are relevant.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old May 27th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nearly 4 years ago I disappeared from the "airmen" database. After many
phone calls to my AME who had retired and to the FAA the trouble was the
FAA had lost the record of my medical examination. I had the doc resubmit
and a few months later (!) all was fine.

Same exact thing happened to me. Were it not for that FAA database, I might
NEVER have discovered the problem.

Honestly, why are you guys so worried about being in one of the most obscure
databases in cyberspace? Why would you care if you're listed? As a new
pilot, it was a "Red Badge of Courage" to see my name in that list; now,
it's just something I check from time to time, just to make sure my doctor's
silly clerk has actually mailed the damned paperwork.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA