The East River VFR corridor is now history

Old October 14th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default The East River VFR corridor is now history

Emily wrote:

Granted I don't have a chart of the area, but is not allowing traffic
below 1100 ft such a bad thing?

I wasn't necessarily critiquing the action, just pointing out that, based
on my interpretation, the corridor is technically no longer there.

It seems, based on your next sentence,
that it eliminates the VFR corridor, but is that really a problem?
Is ATC that reluctant to clear aircraft through?

Honestly, I don't know, as I have never talked to LaGuardia tower but being
the busy airport that it is, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they are
less than 100% accommodating.

It will make listening to the LGA tower ATC feed over at LiveATC.net even
more interesting, however.

http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/klga.m3u

--
Peter
Old October 14th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Peter R." wrote in message
The first paragraph of the article:

"Fixed-wing planes have been banned from the East River corridor in New
York unless the pilot is in contact with air traffic control,"

You quoted the part that disputes your post.

No aircraft are permitted in Class B, C, or D airspace unless they are in
contact with ATC. That doesn't mean that those airspace are closed to
aircraft. Likewise, a radio communication requirement for the corridor in
no way constitutes closure to fixed-wing aircraft.

My understanding of a VFR corridor is that one need NOT talk to ATC.

Normally, this would be the case. So? This is an exception to the general
rule.

Requiring aircraft to be in contact with ATC when overflying the East
River
*and* not permitting flight below 1,100 feet is, in my interpretation, the
end of the corridor, with the exception of those aircraft based at the
seaplane bases on the river.

I don't see how. The NOTAM specifically allows flight within the corridor
as long as they are authorized and under positive control by ATC.

Pete

Old October 14th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Mikey" wrote in message ...
from the Brooklyn Bridge upstream to the north end
of Welfare Island, ...

Wow, now there's a reference I haven't heard anyone else use in a long time.
I still use it sometimes for effect. It always brings a knowing smile to a
few.

Old October 14th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

By This logic, the SFO Bayshore Freeway Transition (which runs directly
over my house) has been closed for... 40 years now?... hmm... that's
funny, I'd swear I saw a seemingly endless parade of light singles
streaming over my house at 1200 feet today... It's a shame they're not
still getting the same great view up there anymore

All puerile sarcasm aside... I do have to agree that having such a tiny
little sliver of uncontrolled VFR boxed in like that was just inviting
people to take un-necessary risks... especially if the local center was
less willing to grant a class Bravo Transition to light singles because
'they had their space below' (I have _NO_ idea if this was actually the
case... but I can understand how an out of town pilot might be given
that impression).

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Where do you get that its closed? I don't see anything about it being
closed.

-Robert

Peter R. wrote:
FAA just announced effective immediately, the East River corridor will be
closed to fixed wing aircraft:

http://tinyurl.com/yg9lc5

Not the best shots, but here are a couple of pictures from that side of
Manhattan taken during my one and only flight up the East River back in
January 2004:

http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c00754avc5.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c00755and8.jpg

And a couple from the west side, in case this is the next one to fall:

http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=theladyhr7.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?i...280075alm6.jpg

--
Peter

Old October 14th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Peter R." wrote in message
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Where do you get that its closed? I don't see anything about it being
closed.

Aircraft, with the exception of those based there and helicopters are now
not permitted below 1,100 feet.

That's false. They're permitted; they just have to be under ATC control. I
posted the TFR yesterday; here it is again:

!FDC 6/3495 ZNY EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, VFR
FLIGHT OPERATIONS INVOLVING FIXED WING AIRCRAFT (EXCLUDING AMPHIBIOUS
FIXED WING AIRCRAFT LANDING OR DEPARTING NEW YORK SKYPORTS INC
SEAPLANE BASE) IN THE EAST RIVER CLASS B EXCLUSION AREA EXTENDING
FROM THE SOUTHWESTERN TIP OF GOVERNORS ISLAND TO THE NORTH TIP OF
ROOSEVELT ISLAND, ARE PROHIBITED UNLESS AUTHORIZED AND BEING
CONTROLLED BY ATC. TO OBTAIN AUTHORIZATION CONTACT LGA ATCT SOUTH OF
GOVERNORS ISLAND ON 126.05.

See: "unless authorized and being controlled by ATC. To obtain
authorization, ..."

--Gary

Old October 14th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"PPL-A (Canada)" wrote in message
ps.com...
Forgive me for not being aware of this, but I fly up in Canada, and in
our CARs (602.14 and 602.15), Canadian regs. very specifically prohibit

the operation of a fixedwing A/C over a built up area at less than 1000

feet above the highest obstacle within 2000 feet horizontally of the
A/C. The exception to this rule is if the A/C is conducting a
take-off, an approach, or landing.

What's the FAA regs. on the matter? Is there some exception in place
for New York's VFR corridors?

Same answer as yesterday.

--Gary

Old October 14th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Peter Duniho wrote:

I don't see how. The NOTAM specifically allows flight within the corridor
as long as they are authorized and under positive control by ATC.

Apparently I am discussing semantics. The corridor used to be 1100 feet
and below, and no flight (exceptions notwithstanding) is now authorized
below 1,100 feet. Additionally, the freedom of flying over the East River
(up to the northern tip of Roosevelt Island) without obtaining a clearance
is no longer permitted.

Those are my two points in support of my interpretation that the
"corridor," as it used to be known, is now closed.

--
Peter
Old October 14th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Gary Drescher wrote:

That's false. They're permitted; they just have to be under ATC control. I
posted the TFR yesterday; here it is again:

Sheesh, I am sorry. There is no altitude limit in the TFR. I made the
mistake of believing the CNN article.

--
Peter
Old October 14th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

"Peter R." wrote:

Apparently I am discussing semantics.

Peter, I am mistaken. I assumed the CNN article about this restriction
was correct and believed the lower limit of 1,100 was stated in the TFR,
until I just read it.

--
Peter
Old October 14th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Peter R." wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:

That's false. They're permitted; they just have to be under ATC control.
posted the TFR yesterday; here it is again:

Sheesh, I am sorry. There is no altitude limit in the TFR. I made the
mistake of believing the CNN article.

The CNN article was correct, although its statement about altitude was
confusingly phrased. Apparently they were referring to the longstanding fact
that the Class E corridor has a ceiling of 1100'.

--Gary