sport pilot airplane from pvt glider

Old May 19th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default sport pilot airplane from pvt glider

Google Groups drops a significant number of the messages that appear on
gliderpilot.net - at least what I see, and have compared.

At 00:11 19 May 2008, Jim Logajan wrote:
>Nyal Williams wrote:
>> Now, turns out that my reader needs adjusting and that not
everyone
>> sees what I see. I'm not all that savvy about internet
>> communications. I'm using Thunderbird at someone else's
suggestion

Old May 19th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

What a horrible mess! Discourages me from posting. Unfortunately for me,
a lot of the messages that appear on gliderpilot.net do not show up at all
on google groups as I receive it , and the ones that do are often a couple
of days late.

At 01:21 19 May 2008, Russ wrote:
>Nyal Williams wrote:
> > This came to me completely clean, unbutchered, uncluttered, and

>clear as a
>> bell.
>>
>> I don't know what the problem is. Sorry!
>
>Nyal,
>Sorry about that, I realized after I posted the quote that your
>newsreader probably would clean the quote up the same as it munged
it.

>I suspect, now, that it is a combination of html text and
>Gilderpilot.net, and Google news that your messages go through. It
was
> a disastrous combination of the internet providers and some texting

>characters that prevent the message from being translated to plain
text
>for a Usenet newsreader.
>http://tinyurl.com/5vlay4
>This shortened link should take you to a Google Groups version of your

>Spoilers or Airbrakes message, which first set me off. It might give
you
>a view of the munging of the text that made it unreadable. Your
>messages are fine as long as nothing is quoted.
>After trying to read the above message I falsely perceived, in your
next
>message in the "Sport pilot from pvt glider" thread, that
you were then

Old May 19th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Nyal Williams wrote:
What a horrible mess! Discourages me from posting. Unfortunately for me,
a lot of the messages that appear on gliderpilot.net do not show up at all
on google groups as I receive it , and the ones that do are often a couple
of days late.

This is pretty likely a bug in the new version of the gliderpilot.net
software. Posts I've made from there in the past have not had this
problem, sometimes debugging software is a total pain in the...

Marc
Old May 19th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 18, 3:40*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
*I only wanted to point out that someone who needed a
button for reply had overlooked it.

I know where the reply button normally is and use it quite often.
There was no reply button for the thread I wished to respond to, only
a reply to author button.

Perhaps Google groups retires a thread after a certain period but I
have not noticed that before.

Andy
Old May 19th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Kirkland[_2_]

At 22:55 18 May 2008, Nyal Williams wrote:
Ah, here's your post.

Russ, I tried to answer you privately by email but you have obscured

your
address.

This came to me completely clean, unbutchered, uncluttered, and clear as

bell.

I don't know what the problem is. Sorry!

Apologies people - the HTML quoting is my fault. Nyal is posting via
gliderpilot.net and after the re-write there are still the odd one or two
bugs. Looking into it ASAP.

Thanks,

Andy
--
Andy Kirkland
Glider Pilot Network
Old May 19th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_3_]

On Mon, 19 May 2008 01:40:08 +0000, Nyal Williams wrote:

Unfortunately for me, a lot of the messages that appear on
gliderpilot.net do not show up at all on google groups as I receive it ,
and the ones that do are often a couple of days late.

This is a well-known failing of GoogleGroups. You're MUCH better off using
a proper newsreader and dealing with USENET directly, rather than through
the googleplex proxy.

Suitable (and free!) software is Forte Free Agent (Windows) or Pan (Linux).
I have no Mac recommendation. Free Agent is IMO Best of Breed and
Pan is OK - its certainly better than Thunderbird, but not nearly as good
as Free Agent.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |