FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

Old December 17th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in
:

"John Mazor" wrote
Unfortunately, my social skills weren't quite good enough at the
time to take full advantage of it. Had to make do later with the
back seat of a Nova. :-(
Try to make do with the back seat of a Corvair.

I'll ONLY say that sometimes my feet got wet, if it was raining!

;-)
You should try an MG! Mind you, it was a lot easier to get them

into
that than the Rambler, but less fun when you got inside. Unless you
were realy into getting levers stuck into some uncofortable places
(and I bet here's a website somwhere that capitises on exactly that
sort of thing)
Or a Hillman.

Which one? The Imp?

Husky.

Not exactly a "pussy car"

Oh, OK, an IMP station wagon. 'Scuse me, "estate" car.

Bertie
Old December 17th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in
:

"John Mazor" wrote
Unfortunately, my social skills weren't quite good enough at the
time to take full advantage of it. Had to make do later with the
back seat of a Nova. :-(
Try to make do with the back seat of a Corvair.

I'll ONLY say that sometimes my feet got wet, if it was raining! ;-)
You should try an MG! Mind you, it was a lot easier to get them into
that than the Rambler, but less fun when you got inside. Unless you
were realy into getting levers stuck into some uncofortable places
(and I bet here's a website somwhere that capitises on exactly that
sort of thing)
Or a Hillman.

Which one? The Imp?

Husky.

Not exactly a "pussy car"

Is that a military thing like the Austin Champ? Or is it one of those plain
as toast 1958 grey-with-a-lavender-roof 1200cc things like a Ford Prefect
brick? I have a vague recollection of the name, but can't picture it.

Not mine, but looks just like it did...

http://www.angelfire.com/bc2/rgcci/m...rofiles/ry.jpg

Old December 17th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in
:

[...]

Sexy! I was right with the grey blob guess then!

I must have seen one or a pic of one befre, because that's almost
exactly what I thought it might look like.

Bertie
Old December 18th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

I can't believe you remembered that. I thought I was the only one living
who could recall that. I think the art accompanying it was an MGA.

(And folks, he got it word for word.)

MG, I live just to touch you,
when I double clutch you, MG it gies me a thrill.
MG, I love your ignition, your foru speed transmission,
your points your plugs and your grill!
MG, when I look inside you,
the sight of each valve and rod, brings me closer to God!
MG, I'll wash you and wax you.
If some Chevvy smacks you, I'll die, MG!

From Mad magazine, you can probably guess the tune..

Bertie

Old December 18th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

My father bought an MGB for the family (mostly me) off the show room floor.
It wasn't new, but it was completely redone inside and out. I had zero
knowledge about auto mechanics. I learned quicky. Within a month, it
wouldn't start. Turned out to be a problem with the ignition wires under
the metal and wrinkle-coated dash.

One of my favorite stories was when it broke down by a stop light. I
usually carried a tool box in the boot, but that day I had nothing with me.
I quickly saw that the wire from the coil had popped out of the top of the
distributor. I check the boot, and since I had just really cleaned out the
car, there wasn't a thing in trunk except the spare tire. The metal ferrule
had fallen off the wire, and there was enough spring to the wire that it
wouldn't stay in.

In the old days, people smoked alot. The emptied their ashtrays at stop
lights. I looked at the curb, and saw a pile of cigarette butts. I took
one and wedged in between the ignition wire and the terminal on the top of
the distributor. It worked, and I was on my way. I forgot about it for
weeks. My family was sitting around the dinner table one night and my
brother said that the MG was running rough. I asked him whether he had
checked the cigarette butt in the distributor. My father, who was a
stickler for doing things right, went ballistic when I told him how I had
"fixed" the car.

It served me well, though. We got 100,000 miles off it, rebuilding the
engine only once. It had 150,000 miles before I finally drove it to a
friend's farm. He said he was going to restore it. I don't know what
became of him or the car.

When I look at my Sundowner's starter, it sure looks like the one I took off
the MG years ago. Same thing with the starter solenoid (with the exception
of the rubber-coated switch you could use to bump the MG's engine to TDC).
I learned more about mechanics from that car than anything else.

The car had what was called a double-yellow line suspension. When you
passed (illegally), you should have felt each yellow line as a separate
"thump" crossing in each direction.

They were fine, really. Mine was pretty reliable. At least as reliable
as an old Ford would have been (OK, bad example) and easy to look after,
really. It was great fun to drive and actually handled well, but not as
well as the more primitive TC. The ride was abyssmal, though, and the
brakes diabolical.

Bertie

Old December 18th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"LWG" wrote in
:

I can't believe you remembered that. I thought I was the only one
living who could recall that. I think the art accompanying it was an
MGA.

(And folks, he got it word for word.)

If only I could remember what I am supposed to do tomorrow!

And it was an MGB in the artwork.

Bertie

MG, I live just to touch you,
when I double clutch you, MG it gies me a thrill.
MG, I love your ignition, your foru speed transmission,
your points your plugs and your grill!
MG, when I look inside you,
the sight of each valve and rod, brings me closer to God!
MG, I'll wash you and wax you.
If some Chevvy smacks you, I'll die, MG!

From Mad magazine, you can probably guess the tune..

Bertie

Old December 18th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"LWG" wrote in
:

My father bought an MGB for the family (mostly me) off the show room
floor. It wasn't new, but it was completely redone inside and out. I
had zero knowledge about auto mechanics. I learned quicky.

Yep, they are good for that!

[...]

Excellent. You must have made at least one journey with someone beating
the fuel pump to keep it going! Everyone has. I had to have my wife kick
the firewall of my Morris Minor Traveller in the middle of London in
rush hour traffic to keep us moving once... And I was in charge of
thumping the rear wheel well in an MAG for about 200 miles to keep it
going.
Turns out it was good training. They work almost exactly the same was as
a shower of sparks wxciter box in a jet's starter ignition.
Machines are machines.

Bertie

Old December 18th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Excellent. You must have made at least one journey with someone
beating the fuel pump to keep it going! Everyone has. I had to have
my wife kick the firewall of my Morris Minor Traveller in the middle
of London in rush hour traffic to keep us moving once... And I was in
charge of thumping the rear wheel well in an MAG for about 200 miles
to keep it going.
Turns out it was good training. They work almost exactly the same was
as a shower of sparks wxciter box in a jet's starter ignition.
Machines are machines.

Bertie

Good grief, and here I thought I had a unique experience when I drove half
way across New Mexico and Colorado in the wee hours (nothing open) in my 62
Austin Healy, the fuel pump hidden directly under the removable left rear
seat (for dwarfs) drifting in and out of consciousness, and being kept alive
by reaching around the seat with the handle of the brass knock off mallet to
give it the occassional wake up call. Finally was able to get a universal
electric pump in Colorado Springs when a garage finally opened up.

Old December 18th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"ManhattanMan" wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

[...]

Nah they all did it when the points got pitted. I flew a twin Beech for
a couple of weeks that had some sticking wiper points for the gear motor
which would allow extension easily enough, but not retraction. The
points were mounted underneath the cockpit floor, so if you stomped on
the floor after you lifted the handle, it came up. the airplane was
acutally the best '18 I ever flew, but we had some difficulty tracking
this part down. Cleaning the points with emory paper worked for a while,
but the problem always came back.

And that should have been MGA, and not
MAG above!
But ever Lucas fuel pump ever made did that trick evenually! Don't even
get me started on voltage regulators!

Bertie
Old December 19th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

The best MG story came from my boss. Years ago, he was a twenty-something,
Air Force type. He found himself on the Long Island Expressway around 2:00
am, tooling down the road on a summer's night. The top was down, and he
finished a cigarette. He flicked the butt high into the slipstream above
the windshield. In a few minutes, he noticed an odd aroma. The smell got
stronger with passing time. He looked behind him, and he saw that the
tonneau cover was on fire, with the flames being fanned by the wind. He
stopped in the middle of the LIE, trying to figure out what to do. He had
nothing with him, except a few beers which he had drunk during the course of
the evening. So, he stood up, turned around and unzipped. He put the fire
out...

Bertie

MG, I live just to touch you,
when I double clutch you, MG it gies me a thrill.
MG, I love your ignition, your foru speed transmission,
your points your plugs and your grill!
MG, when I look inside you,
the sight of each valve and rod, brings me closer to God!
MG, I'll wash you and wax you.
If some Chevvy smacks you, I'll die, MG!

From Mad magazine, you can probably guess the tune..

Bertie

Mythbusters Episode and FMS Marco Leon Piloting 19 February 13th 07 05:45 AM
..and another hour... hellothere.adelphia.net Rotorcraft 7 October 7th 04 11:26 AM
Mythbusters and explosive decompression Casey Wilson Piloting 49 July 15th 04 05:56 PM
MythBusters Hilton Piloting 7 February 4th 04 03:30 AM
Mythbusters Explosive Decompression Experiment C J Campbell Piloting 49 January 16th 04 07:12 AM