NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 5th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

Ron Lee wrote:
Emily wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
So.. how much would you be willing to pay, per use, for this privatized
ATC that you advocate?
Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.

How could you get away with flying VFR 100% of the time?

Easy. It is all I do. 300 hours last year so it must be doable

Ron Lee

Where do you live?
Old September 5th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

B A R R Y wrote:
Matt Barrow wrote:

I remember the media pictures of the controllers on strike in 1981,
dressed like crap, while picketing. It sure didn't lend them any
credibility.

There's a picket line dress code? G

In a past life, I spent some time picketing, and I thought you were
supposed to look poor.

A nice suit and a Beemer don't usually do much for public support during
a work stoppage.

I wasn't aware that a work stoppage in general raised public support.
Old September 5th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default POL NATCA Going Down in Flames

Montblack wrote:
("Emily" wrote)
Unions have nothing to do with government. A union levels the playing
field, which otherwise is skewed towards the employer.

But what's wrong with that? Granted, I have a great employer, but
employers aren't evil.

What's wrong with a boss grabbing some young thing's ta-ta's, in his
office,
in exchange for not firing her?

That's the action of one person, not a corporation.
Old September 5th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Emily wrote:

I wasn't aware that a work stoppage in general raised public support.

Some union leaders believe it does.

I'm not sure I agree either.
Old September 5th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

Emily wrote:

Ron Lee wrote:
Emily wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
So.. how much would you be willing to pay, per use, for this privatized
ATC that you advocate?
Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.
How could you get away with flying VFR 100% of the time?

Easy. It is all I do. 300 hours last year so it must be doable

Ron Lee

Where do you live?

Colorado Springs CO. Actually fly out of 00V.

Ron Lee

Old September 5th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Ron Lee wrote:
Emily wrote:

Ron Lee wrote:
Emily wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
So.. how much would you be willing to pay, per use, for this privatized
ATC that you advocate?
Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.
How could you get away with flying VFR 100% of the time?
Easy. It is all I do. 300 hours last year so it must be doable

Ron Lee

Where do you live?

Colorado Springs CO. Actually fly out of 00V.

Ron Lee

Two things...first, I'm guessing that the airspace around Colorado
Springs is controlled, yes? So even if you go VFR, you still have to
talk to someone.

Second, how the hell can you find 300 hours a year of VMC in Colorado?
We get that where I live now, but I wouldn't have been able to do that
in Indiana. Unless I was into scud running, which I'm not.
Old September 5th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't misread me -- confrontation over a dress code is *critically*
important, because it speaks to a hobbled employee-employer
relationship.

If the FAA can't even dictate a ban on flip flops in the workplace
without generating a union uproar (and open insubordination), the FAA
is irretrievably broken and *should* be privatized. What a shame it's
come to this.

What's your source for that? Who told you there was a union uproar and open
insubordination over a ban on flip-flops?

Old September 5th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

I just got off the phone with a VFR only pilot that will probably flew over
1000 hours this SUMMER and never enters B, C, or D. It's not impossible...
hell it isn't even hard. Just ask the ag pilots.
Jim

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Dave Stadt wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jay Honeck wrote:
Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.

Do you understand you'd also have to remain clear of Class B, C, and D
airspace?

No problem.

How is that no problem? That's a HUGE problem.

Old September 5th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
I just got off the phone with a VFR only pilot that will probably flew over
1000 hours this SUMMER and never enters B, C, or D. It's not impossible...
hell it isn't even hard. Just ask the ag pilots.
Jim

I'm still trying to figure out how that's not hard. At least where I
fly, it's very difficult to not enter controlled airspace.

And where I used to fly? Very difficult to log 1000 hours VFR at any
time of year.
Old September 6th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:46:03 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

I was writing some code a mn ago, in my underwear, but I've got a really
cool boss (me) :-)

Alas, I've a hot laptop.

- Andrew