Big Kahunas

Old December 9th 03, 08:13 PM
Wdtabor

In article a0nBb.29326$ZE1.6721@fed1read04, "R. Hubbell"
writes:

I am not slighting the success of the intelligence folks at preventing

follow
ups attacks to 9/11/01, they have done remarkably well, but there is no way

prevent a handful of fanatics willing to die from shooting up a mall in

Peoria
or Kansas City.

Or snipers from killing people at random. How about the 40,000 that die
every
year from car accidents. Or the 35,000 from the flu. What's the real
threat?

How about flying?

There are risks, like flying or traveling by car, that I accept willingly in
return for the joy or convenience I receive.,

There are risks, like disease that cannot practically be avoided and are not
the work of malice.

But I do not accept the risk of being shot or blown up by a religious zealot
while getting a coffee at Starbucks. The risk i\of being killed by a terrorist
is not something that goes along with an activity or convenience I freely
chose, and it is not a risk of normal life, it is an act of war by a bunch of
thugs and I need not accept the loss of one life to it as OK or unimportant.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old December 10th 03, 03:04 PM
Jay Honeck

I think you don't know what some US corporations are doing in other
"emerging" countries.

Enlighten us, please.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 03, 07:06 PM
Rosspilot

I think you don't know what some US corporations are doing in other
"emerging" countries.

Enlighten us, please.
--

I am not attempting to enlighted anyone, but this morning, I was in a store
shopping. (This is very rare for me).

I spotted a shrink-wrapped, shadowbox frame, 11x14, of exceptionally high
quality.
I use these types of items in my business, so I looked VERY closely at it. It
was made in Thailand. Now here's the thing . . . it was selling for $ 5.99.
The 8x10 was only $3.99.

So I ask myself, how can something this nice be made, packaged (these are GLASS
and very fragile pieces), transported from the other side of the planet, loaded
onto trucks, delivered, unpacked and placed for sale at $6? How can there be
enough profit for all the parties involved in the process?

I'm guessing that the cost to make them in Thailand must be real low, huh? G

I bought a dozen of each.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 10th 03, 07:14 PM
Wdtabor

In article kivBb.29415$ZE1.25509@fed1read04, "R. Hubbell"
writes:

I think you don't know what some US corporations are doing in other
"emerging" countries.

Providing a means for them to emerge.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old December 10th 03, 10:04 PM
Jay Honeck

So I ask myself, how can something this nice be made, packaged (these are
GLASS
and very fragile pieces), transported from the other side of the planet,

loaded
onto trucks, delivered, unpacked and placed for sale at $6? How can there

be
enough profit for all the parties involved in the process?

I'm guessing that the cost to make them in Thailand must be real low, huh?

It's amazing, isn't it? I don't pretend to understand how they can possibly
make that stuff in Thailand cheaper than we can make it here -- the shipping
alone has to cost 50% or more of that six bucks.

I was just out shopping for my kid's Xmas presents. On the shelf was a
"real" "GI Joe", for $21.00. Next to it was a knock-off that actually had
MORE cool stuff, for $4.99. Funny thing is, BOTH were made in China -- so
what's the difference? One said "Hasbro", and one was "No Name" -- what do
I care?

I bought TWO of the No-Names...

I'd guess that the Thai (and Chinese) people are simply more dedicated to
what they're trying to do economically than we are...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 03, 10:06 PM
Frank

Wdtabor wrote:

In article , Frank writes:

snip

Shame on anyone, anywhere for ignoring any such atrocities.

OK, so we don't ignore it. Then what, write a strongly worded letter to
"The Times"?

Or send in troops to take out the monster?

Because monsters like Saddam are not going to stop killing their
opponents, and their relatives and aquaintences, unless they believe that
someone will get up on their hind legs and punish them.

Agreed. I'm sure I didn't say it explicitly before so I'll say it now. I
don't think for a moment that the days of using force are over yet. But I
want to see us working toward that day and I don't see much evidence of us
doing that right now.

You make it sound as if there are only two options: "Do nothing" or "Nuke
the *******". I'll admit that there are scenarios where that might be true
but usually there are other avenues to persue.

As an example take the "sanctions" imposed on Iraq. Many scoff and say they
didn't work and they are right. But we pretty much guaranteed they wouldn't
work by not pressuring others to support them and turning a blind eye when
we knew they were being violated. In other words, we weren't as committed
to using our economic power as we are now to using our military. As a
result we lost much of our moral high ground.

Military force must be a last resort for it to have any chance of being
morally justified.

We may not have known the number of people he killed, but we, and the UN,
knew
it was in the tens of thousands, and neither the UN, nor his Moslem
neighbors did a damned thing about it until the Cop on the Corner showed
up.

I said it badly but I'm talking about going forward. Get the internet into
the hands of the people. While there are certainly fine journalists out
there, the news organizations that we rely on for delivery are failing
miserably and can no longer be trusted to fulfil their role.

I agree that the internet is a great tool for getting inforamtion around
the barriers set up to contain it, but you can't even change my behavior
by posting something critical to usenet, much less the Saddams and Pol
Pots of the world. Sooner or later, you need the presence, or the credible
threat, of troops on the ground to effect that change.

I hope you don't think I was suggesting that posting "Saddam is a big fat
idiot" in rec.soc.heads_of_state would make a big difference......

I'm talking about ensuring a conduit for the free flow of ideas which we
know makes it harder for dictators to gain and/or maintain power. And of
course in times of crisis it can be invaluable for tactical matters. Just
look at how it helped during the attempted coup in Russia some years back.
Or during the Bosnia fighting.

Once again I don't rule out the possibility that troops will be needed. But
I don't rule out anything that has the potential to avoid the need in the
first place. And we also get the benefit of overtly doing something to
promote our ideals.

It's also a way for us to demonstrate to the world that we really mean it
when we talk about free speech. We in America know open dialog is crucial
to democracy so exporting it can only help us in the long run.

Well, exporting the rule of law in the form of a representative republic
would be a good thing, but I would not inflict democracy on even our worst
enemies.

Don

Killing's too good for 'em, let 'em have Congress!
--
Frank....H

Old December 10th 03, 10:11 PM
Dave Stadt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Saw a tid bit on the news a week or so ago. For 40 months in a row the
number of manufacturing jobs in this country has gone down. In the mean
time worker productivity has gone up significantly. Don't know if any
conclusions can be made but it sounds suspicious.

Old December 11th 03, 12:55 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dave Stadt wrote:

Saw a tid bit on the news a week or so ago. For 40 months in a row the
number of manufacturing jobs in this country has gone down. In the mean
time worker productivity has gone up significantly. Don't know if any
conclusions can be made but it sounds suspicious.

That's simple. At least 1/3 of the cost of an employee is overhead. If the
company involved has a good retirement and benefits package, the cost is more
like 2/3. Even if you have to pay time-and-a-half, it's cheaper to work two
employees 12 hours a day than to work three employees 8 hours a day. The only
problem is that, if you keep employees working lots of overtime, after a few
months, they get tired and the amount they do per hours goes down. You may fix
that by setting the workday at 14 hours, but at some point, the overtime pay
gets to be more than just hiring another person.

If your employees are "professionals", however, you don't have to pay them for
the overtime. The real problem there is that many of these people were working
long hours well before the current recession, so there's not a lot of room for
"productivity" increases.

So. If you increase the work day from 8 to 12 hours and fire every third person,
the number of jobs just went down by 33.3% and productivity went up by 33.3%.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".