GA is priceless

Old January 3rd 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default GA is priceless

Morgans,

I don't understand how (normally) level headed folks can NOT get irked.

I couldn't agree more.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 3rd 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Neil Gould writes:

You know nothing other than I'm unwilling to answer your question.

When you have an answer, let me know.

I have had the answer long before you asked.

Neil

Old January 3rd 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jose posted:

I don't think it's very hard to tell when
someone is trying to learn vs. trying to disrupt

It seems that those insulting Mx are trying to disrupt, and they often
post incorrect "information" too. The certainly succeed in disruption
more than the OP, who is easy to ignore, and easy to respond to.

I don't think the issue is posting misinformation alone, at least that
isn't the issue for me. I don't expect to be right all the time, nor do I
expect it of others. Perhaps those insulting Mx are exhibiting typical
human behavior by responding to his insults?

Other things related to his presence generate disruptions to the group as
well. Posts that discuss him that he didn't start nor directly involve him
come to mind. One question is why someone would generate such reactions
from others? I understand it as a typical response to an outsider whose
primary objective is to provoke. One can witness such behavior in almost
any social venue.

Neil

Old January 3rd 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Doug Spencer writes:

Yes, but you asked for an example/reason why the flight model was
incorrect on your MSFS X simulator.

No, I wanted one of the actual defects in the simulation, not an
explanation of why alleged defects might be present.

Real, actual flying occurs in real-time. Read that previous sentence a
couple of times. If your flight model is not computed with inputs and
outputs being done in a hard real-time fashion, it is not going to be
an accurate model. If your computer will delay the processing of
your simulator's input or output because you've received a new e-mail,
it is busy processing a disk access, network request, or similar items
that occupy the resources of a computer, it is not an accurate
representation of flight.

So only analog computers can simulate flight correctly? They are the
only ones that react instantaneously.

I used to play with the PC based flight simulator before taking lessons
and found it to be a very poor representation of the reality of flying.

How long ago was that?

Perhaps the group should scrape together a first flight gift
certificate for you and be done with the continued banter about things
you know little about?

What if I had exactly the same viewpoint after that first magic
flight? How would they explain it then?

I expect you will find it a very different experience than the simulator
in ways you don't realize without that experience.

Maybe, or maybe not. I haven't found that to be true with other types
of simulation.

I was reading a cockpit voice transcription from an incident in which
an aircraft had to move suddenly to avoid traffic after a TCAS alert.
In it, the pilots mention that, when they had done the maneuver in
simulation, everything had been the same, except that they had not
thought about the passengers and FAs in the back who might get thrown
around by the maneuver (since the pilots are securely strapped in, but
passengers and especially FAs are not). But I'm not sure how you'd
simulate that. A couple of recorded shrieks coming through the
cockpit door, perhaps?

Old January 3rd 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I used to play with the PC based flight simulator before taking lessons
and found it to be a very poor representation of the reality of flying.
There are far too many ways to fudge things in the simulator that just
don't work in real life.

Doug, you need to come fly the Kiwi before you can make a blanket
statement like that.

Last night, at Movie Night, I had the pleasure of watching a real
back-country pilot flying a Maule into a mountain airstrip on the Kiwi.

Watching him carve his way through familiar canyons, following the
creek he knows by heart back to the tiny little grass strip, then
watching him expertly perform a steep slip over the trees to a perfect
wheel landing was truly something to behold.

My reward: He was sweating. He's pronounced it as close to perfect as
it gets in a non-motion sim.

The 747 pilot had similar remarks. The B-26 check-pilot before him
pronounced it superior to the Link trainers that were used to train
WWII pilots. The accolades continue to pile up.

Dozens and dozens of pilots have "flown" the Kiwi, with similar
results.

Try it -- you'll like it!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'm about
ready to stop reading your posts, to get rid of his posts. I can't believe
that it is coming to this.

Let me see if I'm following you here, Jim.

You're chiding *me* in a thread that *I* started for responding to a
guy who responded to me?

Have you been taking Montblack's pain meds again?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The most important thing is to =stay= in the roundabout until you
=know=, with sufficient lead time, where you get out.

No, the most important thing is for taxpayers (AKA: "Users") to lynch
traffic "engineers" who insist on foisting such silliness as
"roundabouts", "left turn only" arrows, and other "traffic calming
devices" on the rest of us.

A couple of years ago, right here in Iowa City, a bunch of these
so-called "engineers" installed (without warning or local input)
"chicanes" on a straight length of residential street, in an effort to
slow traffic. (Apparently one of the neighbors had repeatedly
complained about speeders.)

These chicanes were asphalt blockades, essentially, put in every couple
of hundred yards, forcing traffic to make a sharp swerve to the left or
right, in an effort to slow people down.

Within days the neighbors went absolutely ballistic, followed by the
city snow plow drivers, followed by the area teenagers -- who promptly
turned the street into a Grand Prix race course. "Hey, let's see how
fast we can make it through the chicanes!"

Within a month the "engineers" quietly removed the chicanes -- at a
cost of several hundred thousand dollars. They've now re-directed
their efforts into installing "round-abouts" and more "left turn only"
arrows...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default OT: RFD rec.aviation.GA is priceless

Nice thread Jay! :^) This one might be a record setter!

Yeah, it's a good one.

Strangely, no one has blamed the failed Bush Administration, or the war
in Iraq, for ANYTHING...yet.

It'll come...it *always* comes...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Watching him carve his way through familiar canyons, following the
creek he knows by heart back to the tiny little grass strip, then
watching him expertly perform a steep slip over the trees to a perfect
wheel landing was truly something to behold.

My reward: He was sweating. He's pronounced it as close to perfect as
it gets in a non-motion sim.

Cool!

That reminds me of the video of the landing into that tiny French
mountain airport on your site. I can't even see the field until he's
practically on top of it, and it sounds like he has a lot of
experience flying into that kind of field. I can't remember if I
succeeded in finding that airport in MSFS. I think it is near Lyons.

The 747 pilot had similar remarks. The B-26 check-pilot before him
pronounced it superior to the Link trainers that were used to train
WWII pilots. The accolades continue to pile up.

Simulation has come a long way.

Try it -- you'll like it!

Yes!

Old January 3rd 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jose" wrote in message
. net...
And to use training as the yardstick isn't fair either. Driver's Ed
doesn't
include map reading skills, lost procedure skills, or anything else that
has to do with navigation.

That's because you can pull over. In a plane, you can't. But point made.

But they don't teach you When to pull over and common sense isn't really all
that common.

Emergency procedures do not get practiced. We are told to "steer into a
skid" but we never practice it.

I wonder if it would make a difference. Neutral question.

Tons, I did some autocrossing when I was in my early 20s. Before that I
thought I was a fairly good driver. After that I was a fairly good driver.

No (formal) mention of weather is included in Drivers Ed. Particularly,
there is nothing taught about ice and fog.

I don't see anything hazardous that is not obvious. The same is not true
in aviation. We are held away from death by nothing but a blast of air.

Again common sense isn't that common. Just look at what happens in most
places, even those where the hazard happens often (like snow in the North)
when the hazard develops.

Dual glide slope, $95...priceless! Jack Allison Owning 20 October 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan Pechs1 Naval Aviation 34 March 7th 04 06:27 AM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 February 28th 04 04:17 PM
Priceless in Afganistan breyfogle Military Aviation 18 February 24th 04 05:54 AM