NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 6th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

But you didn't answer my question.

How would *I* do it when I'm not remotely located near uncontrolled
airspace?

That's not what you asked. You asked how remaining clear of Class B, C, and
D airspace presented no problem. Where there is little such airspace it's
easy, where such airspace is prevalent it's rather hard. You did not
specify a location.

Old September 6th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Take off from an airport with surface area G airspace. Climb beyond the
overlying Class E transition area, if such exists, fly below any overlying
Class E, remaining in Class G. Around here this gives you from the surface
up to 1200ft AGL not withstanding the required people, obstacle, and
populated area type altitude clearance requirements. This is without
entering controlled airspace....

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Jim Burns wrote:
Avoid class A, B, C, D, & E.... 1 mile clear of clouds
Jim

I'm well aware of when radio contact with ATC and an IFR flight plan is is
necessary, thank you. I simply fail to see how all of the above is not
difficult.

Old September 6th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

You left out the particulars of your circumstances and your location.
Jim

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Why would I want to do that. I don't have a problem with talking to
ATC. I'm simply pointing out, not to you, that avoiding controlled
airspace and ATC is not as easy as some people are making it seem.

It can be very easy. You asked how it's not hard to fly 1000 hours in a
summer without entering Class B, C, or D airspace. One must assume you
asked because you did not know.

Old September 6th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

Emily wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
So.. how much would you be willing to pay, per use, for this privatized
ATC that you advocate?

Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.

How could you get away with flying VFR 100% of the time?

A privatized ATC and GA user fees may not be tied to each other. But
let's assume GA fees for ATC services. Very likely many GA pilots,
including myself, will reduce or eliminate the use of those services.

That brings us to the law of unintended consequences. A lamebrain
Congress institutes GA user fees. Where before I get traffic
advisories when puttering above my airport to ensure safety and
facilitate commercial aircraft arrival/departures, now I blow it off.
I have already had one near-miss with a CRJ around 9000' MSL (not
high above the ground here). Cases like that are bound to increase.
In addition, since the local ATC cannot ask me to change directions
commercial aircraft will have to change directions to avoid me at an
unverified altitude.

One scenario is an economic detriment. The other risks many lives.

Ron Lee

Old September 6th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

But
let's assume GA fees for ATC services. Very likely many GA pilots,
including myself, will reduce or eliminate the use of those services.

When that happens, the now privatized ATC will probably petition the FAA
for rules mandating ATC contact. They already mandate "weather" briefings.

In addition, since the local ATC cannot ask me to change directions
commercial aircraft will have to change directions to avoid me at an
unverified altitude.

This will be used as a reason to require positive control. Likely the
floor of the A could be brought down to Great Britan levels.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 6th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
But you didn't answer my question.

How would *I* do it when I'm not remotely located near uncontrolled
airspace?

That's not what you asked. You asked how remaining clear of Class B, C, and
D airspace presented no problem. Where there is little such airspace it's
easy, where such airspace is prevalent it's rather hard. You did not
specify a location.

I'm glad you don't work where I live.

I still don't see how people can say that remaining clear of B, C, and D
presents no problem when I've proved that it does for some people.
Old September 6th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
Take off from an airport with surface area G airspace. Climb beyond the
overlying Class E transition area, if such exists, fly below any overlying
Class E, remaining in Class G. Around here this gives you from the surface
up to 1200ft AGL not withstanding the required people, obstacle, and
populated area type altitude clearance requirements. This is without
entering controlled airspace....

Like I pointed out, where do I find a Class G airport near where I live?
Simple...there aren't any.
Old September 6th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

I'm glad you don't work where I live.

Why?

I still don't see how people can say that remaining clear of B, C, and D
presents no problem when I've proved that it does for some people.

They say it because it presents no problem to them.

Old September 6th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

Like I pointed out, where do I find a Class G airport near where I live?
Simple...there aren't any.

Where do you live?

Old September 6th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Like I pointed out, where do I find a Class G airport near where I live?
Simple...there aren't any.

Where do you live?

DFW.

And no, the airports on the outskirts don't count, as they are at least
a two hour drive from work/home.