$640.00 to fill the tanks...

Old August 28th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Default "It works well enough" (was $640.00 to fill the tanks...)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:11:57 +0000 (UTC), (Roy Smith)
wrote:
C/C++ is the NDB of the programming world.

Spoken like someone who can't handle pointers...
Old August 28th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Default $640.00 to fill the tanks...

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:30:27 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:
... and make twice as much money. big grin

Sometimes, but not always... I'm fairly certain that for at least the
last 10-12 years, I've made more than my direct managers... Not sure
about the 2nd layer of management, but I suspect that the 3rd layer
(CIO) definitely made more than I did...

Personally though, I don't like management duties... I much prefer the
actual satisfaction of designing and creating a system...
Old August 28th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:26:58 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:
I'm not an internet expert either but everybody knows that the downfall
of
HTML was the creation of the [Flash] tag.

The Navy does not allow Flash on any of the machines on their networks
due to security concerns... I don't allow it on any of my machines
either... If a company has a site that requires flash, I send them an
email voicing my concerns and thanking them for the priviledge of
being allowed to do business with their non-Flash enabled
competitors...

Well hell, I screwed up my own joke. I meant to type [Blink]

Old August 28th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Grumman-581 wrote:

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:26:58 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:
I'm not an internet expert either but everybody knows that the downfall of
HTML was the creation of the [Flash] tag.

The Navy does not allow Flash on any of the machines on their networks
due to security concerns... I don't allow it on any of my machines
either... If a company has a site that requires flash, I send them an
email voicing my concerns and thanking them for the priviledge of
being allowed to do business with their non-Flash enabled
competitors...

So why are you guys not even mentioning the Javascript exploits?
Old August 28th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

The Navy does not allow Flash...

I think the poster meant the [blink] tag. That was the beginning of the
end. Macromedia Flash is the end of the end.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 28th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2006-08-26, Roger wrote:
Let's see...If I can stick around to help out at 2038, at 108 I'd be
the world's oldest programmer in addition to the World's oldest
Debonair pilot.

So long as I've not succumbed to an untimely end, I will more than
probably still be in the workforce come the 2038 problem... :/

Old August 28th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2006-08-27, Emily wrote:
Oh, but it's so much fun to watch people's faces when I tell them I know
FORTRAN.

Not as good as when you tell them you know INTERCAL...

Old August 28th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:44:12 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:
Not as good as when you tell them you know INTERCAL...

Proof that the drug induced era of the '60s were still aflicting minds
in early '70s... One would think that APL would have been strange
enough for 'em...
Old August 28th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Roy Smith wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Jose wrote:

Yes, C is great for those who don't much care about the quality of
their software, which, unfortunately, is the preponderance of
programmers.

C is great for those who care a lot about the quality of their own work,
and therefore don't rely on the language to catch them.

Wow, I've never heard that excuse before ... not. Any skilled
tradesperson or professional will use better tools when they are
available. Programmers are one of the few professions that don't. I
honestly have tried to figure this out, as have many others, but I'm
still stumped.

C/C++ is the NDB of the programming world.

Good one, Roy, and brought it back on topic in the process! :-)
Although, I think it is more like the old four course range. NDB is
probably closer to Fortran. Pascal, and the rest of the Algol family
(and I include Ada here) is probably in the VOR/DME category. I'm not
sure what fits GPS, but maybe model-based development once it matures a
little more. To keep going, I guess assembly would be close to dead
reckoning... :-)

Matt
Old August 28th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:

C/C++ is the NDB of the programming world.

Spoken like someone who can't handle pointers...

Oh, that was bad.... :-)

Matt