RIP Cessna...Skycatcher

Old November 28th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

Default RIP Cessna...Skycatcher

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:27:27 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com writes:

In a news release, Cessna CEO Jack Pelton said the company needed
top quality at a competitive price and SAC put it all together.

Translation: Price was the only consideration.

"Our solution is to partner with SAC, a company with excellent facilities,
state-of-the-art technologies and a workforce highly experienced in
aircraft manufacturing.

Translation: We have to give the Chinese what few technological trade secrets
we possess as part of the deal, so that they can eventually make their own
airplanes and throw us out of business. That's more than one fiscal quarter
in the future, though, so we don't care.

SkyCatcher customers will get
an advanced design, high-quality workmanship and world-class product
support, all at an affordable price from Cessna, a brand known and trusted
worldwide." The move, coupled with Cessna's acquisition of Columbia Aircraft
has dominated Cessna's profile in recent months as it continues to pile up
record sales for its business jets.

Time to look elsewhere for safe aircraft.

Mx, you're an interesting fellow. But then so is a monkey throwing bananas
out his cage door.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old November 28th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"john smith" wrote in message
According to this mornings WSJ, Cessna's Pelton is quoted as saying that
by building the Skycatcher in China, the cost is $71k less than it would
cost to build in the USA.
I wonder how much of that is liability insurance and how much is labor?

What does a new C172 go for these days? Just over $200,00-$225,000? So the
Skycatcher if built in the states would have been close to $200,000?

Old November 28th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

john smith wrote:
According to this mornings WSJ, Cessna's Pelton is quoted as saying
that by building the Skycatcher in China, the cost is $71k less than
it would cost to build in the USA.
I wonder how much of that is liability insurance and how much is
labor?

$71k on a $100k+ airplane? That seems a little much. But Cessna's product
liability won't be reduced by building in China.

Old November 28th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Me thinks Cessna is looking at the soon to be much more lucrative Chinese (read Asian) training market...

No way the cheep scooter compares, maybe, at least the engine is O-200...

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message news:7be77acf17473@uwe...
Darkwing wrote:

This will be a PR nightmare for Cessna IMO. How long until the Skycatcher is
known as a Chinese POS? Even if I chose an overseas builder I would NEVER of
chose a Chinese company only through perception alone.

To be fair, Cessna did chose an old and reputable Chinese aircraft
manufacturer. Those Chinese CJ-6 trainers and the Chinese versions of the
MiGs have been made by Shenyang since the 50s.

We sold some Chinese made scooters a couple years back. Total pieces of
****. Constantly breaking down, had to reset the valve lash and timing
straight from the company, nothing but problems. The carbs were ALWAYS
plugged from the factory and had to be rebuilt and devarnished from the
factory. We bailed on that deal pretty quick.

Are you really comparing an established aircraft manufacturer with the
makers of cheap scooters? Most of those low quality scooters are built in
backyard sheds throughout China. Not exactly the same thing.

While it would be nice for Cessna to manufacture their LSA in the U.S.,
it's just not going to happen in the current competitive climate. When the
LSA market finally shakes out, I'm betting that the players left standing
will be the ones manufacturing somewhere in Asia.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old November 28th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"john smith" wrote in message ...
According to this mornings WSJ, Cessna's Pelton is quoted as saying that by building the Skycatcher in China, the cost
is $71k less than it would cost to build in the USA.
I wonder how much of that is liability insurance and how much is labor?

hmmm, so Cessna says they wanted to sell it for 110,000 originally, and they did not know where they were going to build
it. So now, minus the 71,000, they will sell for, just to be nice with extra margins, ~60,000? That would kill the
competition...

Old November 28th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
On Nov 28, 11:56 am, wrote:
Can all those fools who put down deposits at Oshkosh get their money
refunded?

Hmm, responding to my own post... (scratches head).

If I was one of those fools, I'd seriously now be looking at this
instead:

http://www.remos.com/en/news.php?item=092707

A lot to like, except......

the damn rotax.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 28th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com writes:

In a news release, Cessna CEO Jack Pelton said the company needed
top quality at a competitive price and SAC put it all together.

Translation: Price was the only consideration.

"Our solution is to partner with SAC, a company with excellent
facilities, state-of-the-art technologies and a workforce highly
experienced in aircraft manufacturing.

Translation: We have to give the Chinese what few technological trade
secrets we possess as part of the deal,

What's this "we"?

I thought you were French now.

Bertie
Old November 28th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Now here is a question I have. How come Cessna says that they can't
build the Skycatcher profitably in the USA and meet the price point
they set but yet AMD is able to build their ZODIAC in the states and
advertise an IFR variant for under 100k. It's not like the aircraft
are all that different. Both are made of aluminum and both have the
O-200. Cessna's logic just dosen't make much sense to me.
Old November 28th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
..
Time to look elsewhere for safe aircraft.

Right. Like you would actually get in one if it was made in the U.S. and
someone offered to let you fly it for free.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old November 29th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Morgans wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 28, 11:56 am, wrote:
Can all those fools who put down deposits at Oshkosh get their money
refunded?

Hmm, responding to my own post... (scratches head).

If I was one of those fools, I'd seriously now be looking at this
instead:

http://www.remos.com/en/news.php?item=092707

A lot to like, except......

the damn rotax.

Have you ever flown behind a 912 or a
914? I have never had a nicer engine
in any vehicle I've owned. Smooth,
strong and light, 5 gallons an hour in
cruise, absolutely *no* issues to date.

If you have a Rotax 912 horror story,
just tell it.

Cessna To Build Skycatcher Overseas Despite Cheap Dollar Larry Dighera Piloting 22 November 29th 07 01:04 AM
Skycatcher IFR? Matt Whiting Owning 57 November 26th 07 11:59 PM
Skycatcher to be a import. Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 0 November 26th 07 05:01 PM
Cessna's new LSA: "Skycatcher" Jim Logajan Piloting 107 September 23rd 07 01:18 AM
Cessna's new LSA: "Skycatcher" miffich Piloting 1 July 24th 07 12:04 AM