4130 frame?

Old August 26th 03, 01:56 PM
Steve Thomas

How about sharing the name or contact info for some of those places that
have 4130 angle? What about welded seam tubing for non critical areas, is
there a source for it that you know of also? Thanks a million!

--
Have a good one!

Steve
www.americanspiritppc.com
"spektr" wrote in message
Steve.

If you want to use 4130 angls, they are available from lots of
different places. If you don't like the prices, use plates and
weld them up yourself. You can have plate brake bent and
slice out what you need. Lots of ways to get it done,
don't get locked into mixing stuff like 1018 to 4130 because you
are having a tough time thinking it out. Think it out CLEARLY.
Go find yourself an EAA chapter and get a hold of one of
their Tech Counsellors. They are really nice to work with
and usually respond quite favorably to steak and beer.
Proper planning of the task ensures trouble free completion.

Scott Correa

"Steve Thomas" wrote in message
nk.net...
I am just about ready to take the plunge and order in the materials
necessary to duplicate my current airframe out of 4130. Thanks to all of

you
guys for the tips and sources. I have one more question. What other

metals
are compatable with 4130 when welding? My problem is in locating any

angle
in 4130. So far all I have found is seamless tubing and flat stock. My

frame
currently uses some angle 1"x1" angle. I would like to stay with using

angle
in these locations if possible. So, now this may sound dumb, but can you
weld mild steel or another alloy to 4130 tubing that I can get in angle?

Or
better yet, do you know of a source for 4130 angle?

--
Have a good one!

Steve
www.americanspiritppc.com
"log" wrote in message
Yes, Maule does it every day.

"Steve Thomas" wrote in message
nk.net...
Has anyone on this list ever welded a thinwall 4130 frame with a MIG
welder?

What is a good source of 4130 seamless and welded seam tubing?

Thanks,

--
Have a good one!

Steve
www.americanspiritppc.com

Old August 26th 03, 01:57 PM
Steve Thomas

They are short pieces and I guess that I could do that. I may even be able
to substitute a square tube in place of them, but I would prefer to have
regular angle steel. Thanks!

--
Have a good one!

Steve
www.americanspiritppc.com
"Del Rawlins" wrote in message
On 25 Aug 2003 05:02 PM, Steve Thomas posted the following:
I am just about ready to take the plunge and order in the materials
necessary to duplicate my current airframe out of 4130. Thanks to all
of you guys for the tips and sources. I have one more question. What
other metals are compatable with 4130 when welding? My problem is in
locating any angle in 4130. So far all I have found is seamless tubing
and flat stock. My frame currently uses some angle 1"x1" angle. I
would like to stay with using angle in these locations if possible. So,
now this may sound dumb, but can you weld mild steel or another alloy
to 4130 tubing that I can get in angle? Or better yet, do you know of
a source for 4130 angle?

What is the required thickness and length of the 4130 angle? You may be
able to bend (or have it bent) in a brake.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/

Old August 27th 03, 02:27 PM
Corky Scott

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:57:36 GMT, "Steve Thomas"
wrote:

J,

Thanks for that helpful insight. I will keep it all in mind. Sice I do not
have a TIG machine or experience using one, and I do not have much
experience using a torch to weld with, would it be kosher to tack the pieces
together with a MIG and then have a professional welder finish the process
by using a torch? The local pro that I have used in the past for various
projects gave me the impression that he would rather weld with his a/o torch
than his TIG machine.

Steve, you don't need a joint jigger to cut and fit tubes for the
fuselage, and gas welding is something you can learn to do, and do
well. You'll be glad you learned as you can use the knowledge for
many projects.

I tried using the joint jigger and ended up sticking it in a corner
where it's sat for years now. Why? Because it was a pain in the ass
to use and you literally don't need a precision fit when you are
welding. Remember, you aren't gluing the joints, you are melting the
base metal and adding more with a filler rod. You bridge a LOT this
way.

In addition, the welded tube fuselage is an inherently strong
fuselage. Even if you totally botch the welding, because you weld all
the way around the tube, it probably won't matter in your lifetime.

All the tubes are interlocked and welded in this manner. There's just
no where for any slippage to occur, everything is triangulated.

Think about it, aluminum tube fuselages aren't welded, they're fitted
together and held in place with riveted gusset plates. Steel tube
fuselages are just about the strongest fuselage there is.

You can do it yourself, and I think you'll agree that a simple
grinding wheel with a round shaped rough wheel is all you need to fit
the tubes.

Corky Scott

PS, you can dress the grinding wheel to the shape you need yourself
too.
Old August 27th 03, 05:50 PM
Steve Thomas

Corky,

I made all of my joints like you mentioned for my mild steel frame and it
worked great. I can het them pretty darn close fitting just using a hole saw
on a drill press and then finishing them off with a 4" grinder. Thanks for
the encouragement.

--
Have a good one!

Steve