Airports to ban cigarette lighters beyond checkpoints

Old January 3rd 05, 10:54 PM
Morgans

"steve.t" wrote

No, I don't think there is a sufficient pressure change to cause the
lighter to mechanically breakup.

I honestly don't see the danger here. What am I missing?
Later,
Steve.T

Nothing. The O.P. was talking out of his as*.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 3rd 05, 11:07 PM
Morgans

"C J Campbell" wrote

There is plenty of oxygen. It just is not at a
high enough pressure to enter your blood. There is surely enough oxygen to
keep a jet engine lit.

Umm. Wrong. Pressure masks are only required at the very high altitudes.
Below that, higher concentrations of oxygen are introduced at the pressure
in the cabin, to keep blood saturation levels at an acceptable level. Take,
for example, un-pressurized singles. Pressure is not needed to get the
oxygen into the blood, well up into the flight levels. If you are going to
do an Exxon altitude record, then pressure is needed to get the blood to use
it.

The jet engines take the oxygen and concentrate it at high pressure, in
order to run the combustion process at high enough levels to produce useable
thrust. Bad analogy.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 3rd 05, 11:26 PM
Ash Wyllie

So, Zippo's are OK?

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old January 4th 05, 12:46 AM
Frankster

This TSA policy of banning 'scary' items that have any
potential at all for use by terrorists is futile and if carried
to its extreme, will result in only nude passengers drugged
into unconsciousness being permitted airline travel.

Where do I go to sign up for a ticket? At last, maybe I'll get to sit
next to that cute blonde!

-Frank

Old January 4th 05, 01:07 AM
C J Campbell

"Morgans" wrote in message

"steve.t" wrote

No, I don't think there is a sufficient pressure change to cause the
lighter to mechanically breakup.

I honestly don't see the danger here. What am I missing?
Later,
Steve.T

Nothing. The O.P. was talking out of his as*.

Let's pour a little butane fluid on yours and we will see if you change your
mind.

Old January 4th 05, 01:37 AM
Morgans

"C J Campbell" wrote

Let's pour a little butane fluid on yours and we will see if you change

your
mind.

No big deal at those quanities. At the pressure you are talking about, it
will not stay a liquid very long; all will flash to vapor, quickly. Anyway,
I'm not gonna worry about it, cause it ain't gonna happen. There is a
better chance of being stuck by lightning while sitting in a basement.

Reference this: "steve.t" wrote

No, I don't think there is a sufficient pressure change to cause the
lighter to mechanically breakup.

Spot on.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 4th 05, 03:31 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"steve.t" wrote:

Now let me get this right. I may have my physics a bit wrong here so
let me explain my thought process.

Butane lighter. Cabin depressurizes rapidly (explosive decompression?).
Lighter now mechanically pops apart. O2 level is below what it takes
to remain conscious and the temp has suddently dropped below 30F on its
way down to -??F.

So, assuming that the butane lighter was full, can its contents now
catch fire or even explode?

Hmmmm, no, I don't think so.

But, let us assume that depressurization takes place between 10000 -
14000 MSL with a cabin pressurized to 8000 and the OAT is showing -10C

No, I don't think there is a sufficient pressure change to cause the
lighter to mechanically breakup.

I honestly don't see the danger here. What am I missing?
Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

--
George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old January 4th 05, 03:33 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"steve.t" wrote:

Butane lighter. Cabin depressurizes rapidly (explosive decompression?).
Lighter now mechanically pops apart.

Don't think so. Why would a drop of about 8 psi cause a lighter (which is
designed to withstand many times that differential pressure) to come apart?

Old January 4th 05, 06:33 PM
Ron McKinnon

Frankster wrote:
This TSA policy of banning 'scary' items that have any
potential at all for use by terrorists is futile and if carried
to its extreme, will result in only nude passengers drugged
into unconsciousness being permitted airline travel.

Where do I go to sign up for a ticket? At last, maybe I'll get to sit
next to that cute blonde!

You may have missed the 'drugged into unconciousness' part.