Stand by for more regulations/restrictions

Old May 13th 05, 03:36 PM
Clyde Woempner

I have no idea what radio's they have, and I don't care, but I know I would
never buy another Narco Product, based on my experience with this company.
In fact I don't have the Narco anymore, I took it out and trashed it, it has
a happy home in a dump someplace, just where it belongs.
Clyde

"Rich" wrote in message
Well Clyde...
I'm sure you KNOW that the problem with that 150 was that they had NARCO
radios in it.

You KNOW that, don't you?

Damn NARCO radios!

Clyde Woempner wrote:
Just what GA needs, a couple of idiot's busting the TFR in DC. Thanks a

lot
fella's, sure too follow will be more restrictions/regulations. What's

so
hard about plotting out a course and going around these area's?? We are

our
own worst enemy.
Clyde

Old May 13th 05, 04:35 PM
Greg Farris

In article ,
says...

Giving resolution of this matter some thought. In my opinion the honorable
thing would be for the PIC of the C150 to apologize to the pilot community
(through AOPA), voluntarily give up flying and return his certificates to
the FAA. No hearings, no lawyers, no further fuss. He should hang his head
in shame. I also believe, as was stated earlier, that "shunning" is an
appropriate response from the aviation community towards this individual who
seems very deficient in navigating skills. Another interesting question.
What did his last BFR consist of? Does he not know how to navigate or did he
demonstrate that he could plot an appropriate course and just not follow
that training on Wednesday?

And while he's at it he should sacrifice one of his children in a propellor
blade! Come on - let the one who has never gotten lost on a VFR cross-country
cast the first Narco radio!

It's likely he will get a certificate suspension, which I feel is
appropriate, and I'm probably not alone. It would be a great gesture if he
could use his 30 or 90-day no-fly time to participate in an AOPA airspace
awareness program, as this would allow AOPA to use the event for some
constructive publicity to try to turn around some of the negative.

We need to place airspace awareness at a higher level of importance in our
flight planning. In Europe, there is Class "A" (not B) airspace around some
major cities, and you can bet students and beginning pilots do not bust it
often. They learn early on how important it is - and that they will be
guaranteed to have their ticket pulled if they enter it. So "knowing I'm NOT
in the ADIZ, or heading into it" is more important than "knowing exactly
where I am", at any given instant. If I'm not violating the ADIZ, then I have
some time to figure out my position. Check that first. When planning, find a
few landmarks (if you're against radionavigation, or your airplane is) to
help you steer clear, then breathe easy and enjoy the scenery. If your blood
pressure doesn't go up a click or two, and prompt a quick scan of all your
navigation devices as soon as you come near it, then you're not taking it
seriously enough.

We've got no choice. They've shown they're serious about it - and if we don't
get the violation rate way down (like 0) very fast we will be facing new
regulations, and it will not taste sweet.

G Faris

Old May 13th 05, 06:16 PM
Chris

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
JH What happened over D.C. has NOTHING to do with the
JH ability to be a good pilot, and EVERYTHING to do with a
JH ****ty, "I don't care, I've been flying for 35 years and screw
JH you and your rules" attitude.

Really? So you know the pilots involved, or at least you've called
and talked to them? And of course you've never made any mistake in
anything, and never will. Right.

Come on, Bob. Stop defending this dolt.

We all make mistakes -- but not over the White House.

This guy made so many mistakes end-to-end that it's hard to see anything
but incompetence, a jerk, or both.

He made a fool of himself and he made a fool of all the police and the
security apparatus, the Congress, etc.

On that basis, surely it is time for all to sit down see how daft it all is
and come up with a rational way forward.

Just a transatlantic view and its sad to see the most powerful nation in the
world all f***ed up by an old man in a 150.

Come on guys, get a grip and give some comfort to the world you are supposed
to be leading.

Old May 13th 05, 06:35 PM
Matt Barrow

U.S. to Spend Billions More to Alter Security Systems

http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000583.html

Old May 13th 05, 08:28 PM
Marco Leon

I bet there were a whole bunch of people who were half-glad this happened.
And I'm not talking about terrorists either.

How many "dress rehearsals" do you suppose one can get before the
"real-deal" attack?

Bad for pilots, good for emergency planners.

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 13th 05, 09:48 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Chris" wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
JH What happened over D.C. has NOTHING to do with the
JH ability to be a good pilot, and EVERYTHING to do with a
JH ****ty, "I don't care, I've been flying for 35 years and screw
JH you and your rules" attitude.

Really? So you know the pilots involved, or at least you've called
and talked to them? And of course you've never made any mistake in
anything, and never will. Right.

Come on, Bob. Stop defending this dolt.

We all make mistakes -- but not over the White House.

This guy made so many mistakes end-to-end that it's hard to see anything
but incompetence, a jerk, or both.

He made a fool of himself and he made a fool of all the police and the
security apparatus, the Congress, etc.

CORRECTION! The only person he made a fool of was himself! The police
and security apparatus made themselves look like fools.

On that basis, surely it is time for all to sit down see how daft it all is
and come up with a rational way forward.

Agreed. The problem here is that security is usually delegated to those
who have no aptitude for anything else. The whole lot should be fired.

Just a transatlantic view and its sad to see the most powerful nation in the
world all f***ed up by an old man in a 150.

How true!

Old May 14th 05, 01:28 PM
Ron Natalie

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

CORRECTION! The only person he made a fool of was himself! The police
and security apparatus made themselves look like fools.

Actually, the police and military are patting themselves on the back on
how well they handled the situation and how prepared they were if this
had been an actual emergency.

The only real snivelers have been the Mayor of DC crying that he wasn't
told fast enough (his office realized something was up when they saw the
White House staff running out of their buildings) and the scumbag Daley
in Chicago who has been bent out of shape that he can't control the
skies over Chicago the way he controls the airports on the ground there.
Old May 14th 05, 03:04 PM
No Spam

On 5/12/05 11:52, "Marco Leon" mmleonatyahoo.com wrote:

There are a lot of posts defending GA. I find that my patience is waning for
pilots that violate the DC airspace. We've only had, what--four years of
constant drilling on the ADIZ procedures and their level of importance? In
the era of $250 handheld GPS's and flight following, there is zero excuse
for getting lost in the DC area. What's it going to take? Mandatory
revocations of licenses? Aircraft confiscations? a shootdown??

I'm against all of this but the hundreds of ADIZ violations in DC are
swiping the feet out from under anyone trying to protect our privileges. I
remember when people scoffed at the idea of having your car confiscated
after a DWI. But that's what it got to here in NY to see some results. It
took a while, but it took a seemingly ridiculous action like that to see a
reduction in DWI's in NY. I'm afraid general aviation and the DC airspace
problem is going down a similar path.

Military pilots have a "wash-out" program and entrance into that program
takes only minor mistakes. I think aviation needs a better "wach-out"
program with higher visibility.

my 2 cents. Flame on.

Marco Leon

Well said, Marco.

Flying is a privilege, not a right, as is driving a car. If one has
demonstrated the incapacity to fly responsible, that privilege should be
revoked.

- Don
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Old May 14th 05, 05:23 PM
David Lesher

Pilot Was Ill-Prepared, Froze in Flight, FAA Says

Saturday, May 14, 2005; Page B01

The pilot who caused a midday panic in Washington on Wednesday failed
to get briefings about the weather and restricted airspace and became
lost minutes after leaving a Pennsylvania airport, Federal Aviation
Administration records show.

Hayden "Jim" Sheaffer, 69, froze when he saw a Black Hawk helicopter
appear near his right wing while flying toward the White House and
had difficulty operating his small, single-engine aircraft, officials
said yesterday. It took the valiant effort of Sheaffer's student-pilot
companion, Troy D. Martin, who had only 30 logged hours of flight
time, to take over the controls and land the plane at an airport in
Frederick, officials said.

Wonder how well he did on his BFR's....?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old May 14th 05, 05:33 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Howard Nelson" said:
What did his last BFR consist of? Does he not know how to navigate or did he

Based on some of the old farts I see flying around here, I think a lot of
these guys get BFRs from their best buddy who makes them do a touch and go
and makes sure they can fold a sectional and spends the rest of the two or
three hours shooting the **** about what flying was like in the good old
days.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we