So where you flying for Turkey Day?

Old November 20th 05, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default So where you flying for Turkey Day?

Jay Honeck wrote:

To Mom's in Houston as usual.

Wonderful. Have a safe and happy holiday!

On a serious note:

To all you who are blithely heading off to spend time with your family over
this Thanksgiving holiday, please stop to realize that there will come a
time in your life where you would do *anything* to spend just one more
boring Turkey Day with your folks. I think of all the times that I
childishly bitched and moaned about "how awful" the holidays were, and weep
at the realization that I could have spent so much more time actually
getting to know my Mom and Dad better.

Don't waste a minute.

I agree with Jay. Do not waste a minute. We lost my little 5 year old
co-pilot grand daughter this last July to a freakish reaction to a
spider bite. We are still grieving. Cherish every moment.

--
Regards,

Ross
C-172F 180 hp
KSWI
Old November 20th 05, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I think of all the times that I
childishly bitched and moaned about "how awful" the holidays were, and

weep
at the realization that I could have spent so much more time actually
getting to know my Mom and Dad better.

Don't waste a minute.

Amen, brother. I fear the years with my parents are numbered. Lost the
Father-in-Law, already.

Fortunately, once I grew up a little (when did *that* happen?) my
relationship with my parents has been great. I enjoy the time I have with
them.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 20th 05, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Michelle P" wrote in message
.net...
Cleveland, OH if the weather looks good. the weather is not looking good
right now.... Drive otherwise :-(
Michelle

In Ohio, if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes; it'll change!
--
Jim (formerly from Ohio) in NC

Old November 21st 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rick said:
snip
(For 25 years, until 3 years ago, lower Michigan got freezing rain at
least one of the holiday days - Wed through Sunday).

We tried to make it over to Hastings, south of GRR last year the week of Dec
10th. METARs kept getting worse and finally ended up with winds from the
north west off the lake 30 gusting to 40 and vis at 0/0 with heavy freezing
rain, fog, and snow. I called the airport manager and he said it was even
worse than reported! The freezing rain had covered everything with ice and
he was afraid he'd be spending the night at the airport because it was too
bad to drive. Trees and power lines down on the roads.
snip

If what we are going to get is just lake-effect snow, it's not
possible VFR, but is no big deal IFR as the tops are low and there's
seldom much ice.

Agree. With lake effect below me, I usually tell GRR that I want to stay
above the approach path to GRR 35 when going into 9D9, this gives me a slam
dunk through the lake effect and I've never picked up more than a trace. I
also make sure that I've got plenty of fuel to either circumnavigate it or
fly beyond it and land at a different airport.

Jim

Old November 21st 05, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not going anywhere on T'day; got the in-laws coming in. Gonna relax and
certainly overeat I will probably take the folks skyward on Friday for
some aerial sightseeing. They have yet to fly with me and Friday's
forecast looks to be decent. Hope all the turkey and trimmings don't
screw up my W & B. We'll all be a few pounds heavier.
Old November 21st 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
We're supposedly heading for Lansing, MI, so spend a few days with my
sister. Given the wonderful weather on the lee-side of Lake Michigan at
this time of year, our fall-back trip is to Minneapolis, to visit Mr. and
Mrs. Montblack for a day or two.

If the weather *really* sucks, we'll hole up in the house and eat turkey
till we pop.

Anyone going anywhere cool?

Thinking about going to NYC for the parade. Always wanted to see it, never
have. Now I can share the trip with our 5 year old son.

Old November 21st 05, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I agree with Jay. Do not waste a minute. We lost my little 5 year old
co-pilot grand daughter this last July to a freakish reaction to a spider
bite. We are still grieving. Cherish every moment.

Oh, man, that's awful, Ross. I can't imagine what losing a child -- or
grand-child -- must be like.

Life is so fragile and splendid. Relish it. Revel in it.

Make it count.

Take care,
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 05, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Fortunately, once I grew up a little (when did *that* happen?) my
relationship with my parents has been great. I enjoy the time I have with
them.

Good to hear.

Luckily, all of my time with my parents wasn't wasted. When we knew my Dad
was dying, we became very close, working on our family tree together, and
visiting lots of family places that I had never seen. (The old Honeck
farmstead in Wisconsin; the ranch where my parents met -- that kind of
uniquely "family" stuff...)

Best of all, I got my Dad to sit in front of a video camera and reminisce
for a few hours. It's been 12 years now, and I've never been able to watch
the film -- but someday I will -- with his grand kids.

And my Mom and I were always close.

But, still, I grieve for all those wasted years in my 20s and early 30s,
when I just couldn't be bothered with such "nonsense". What fools we are
when young! If any of you folks still have your parents, don't waste
another minute!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 05, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not going anywhere on T'day; got the in-laws coming in. Gonna relax and
certainly overeat I will probably take the folks skyward on Friday for
some aerial sightseeing. They have yet to fly with me and Friday's
forecast looks to be decent.

I was never able to take my Dad flying, but I will always relish the memory
of my Mom's first flight.

We took off in a clapped-out rental Cherokee 140, on a hot summer's day --
and the door popped open right after rotation! The wind was sucking her
hair out the door, and you could see that she was concerned, but -- after
landing and having the FBO adjust the latch so it would stay shut -- she
happily got back in that plane for a re-launch.

She arrived in her home town, Fond du Lac, WI, like the Queen of Sheba.
Many of her childhood relatives and friends met us at the airport, and she
spent the afternoon basking in the glow of admiration for her having a
"pilot son."

Me, too...!

:-)

I hope your first flight with your folks is as memorable!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 05, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Anyone going anywhere cool?

Thinking about going to NYC for the parade. Always wanted to see it,
never have. Now I can share the trip with our 5 year old son.

Wow, not THERE is a cool place to go!

Where would you land in order to get close to the parade route?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA