A glorious flight - Just add Music!

Old February 22nd 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A glorious flight - Just add Music!

"Newps" wrote

I understand that but when it's working effectively the market for XM
will shrink to near nothing.

I just can not believe that XM will be without merit, no matter when ADS-B
comes fully on line. Ground based systems will still be hard to get, when
low in hilly terrain, and in parts of the country that do not have a high
concentration of transmitters.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 23rd 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Really, really nice for adding some background music to a solo early-evening flight. Little
Wing by Derek and the Domino's seemed particularly appropriate this evening,
as did the Battle of Britain soundtrack.

Glad you enjoyed that. Although I listen to music when driving a car
to avoid acute boredom, I've never felt the need for it when flying.

(I have immensely enjoyed Manfred Radius's sailplane aerobatics to the
sound of a Vienese waltz.)

You can also load your MP3 player with audio book readings.

Somewhow that strikes me as a good way to (a) miss the point of the
book, or (b) get behind the airplane.

vince norris
Old February 23rd 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm having trouble with my scan, I tend to fixate. My CFI suggested I keep a
beat. Glance at one instrument per beat. I was wondering if music would help
with my scan or would music be too much of a distraction for single pilot IFR?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:48:44 -0500, "Peter R." wrote:

The music was invaluable in keeping me focused and alert. Jazz is my current thing.

GeorgeC
Old February 23rd 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm having trouble with my scan, I tend to fixate. My CFI suggested I keep a
beat. Glance at one instrument per beat. I was wondering if music would help
with my scan or would music be too much of a distraction for single pilot IFR?

Consider that you have to look at AND INTERPRET an instrument (the
interpretation can actually occur while you've moving to the next one).
If music keeps you on beat, it may also keep you from interpreting.

Try it on something like MS Flight Simulator and see whether this occurs.

Jose
Old February 23rd 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

George wrote:

I'm having trouble with my scan, I tend to fixate. My CFI suggested I keep a
beat. Glance at one instrument per beat. I was wondering if music would help
with my scan or would music be too much of a distraction for single pilot IFR?

IMO, music would be a distraction if you are first starting out. In my
case I flew several single-pilot flights after obtaining my instrument
rating before I introduced music into the cockpit.

If beat is what you need, see if you can grab a recording of several
metronome-style beats off the Internet and load those to your MP3 player.
Perhaps something in the 30 to 60 beats per minute range.

--
Peter
Old February 23rd 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Newps" wrote in message

Peter R. wrote:

You'll get the same thing for free.

/Aviation Consumer/ and /IFR Magazine/ both project that ADS-B is still a
few to five years away from complete US mainland coverage.

I understand that but when it's working effectively the market for XM will
shrink to near nothing.

Except (CMIIW) ADS-B is ground based. That's part of the reason I passed on
an offer for a King KMD-850.

Old February 23rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

"Newps" wrote

I understand that but when it's working effectively the market for XM
will shrink to near nothing.

I just can not believe that XM will be without merit, no matter when ADS-B
comes fully on line. Ground based systems will still be hard to get, when
low in hilly terrain, and in parts of the country that do not have a high
concentration of transmitters.

Look at the coverage maps now on the ADS-B website. I don't think
coverage will be a problem. The other thing going for it is the FAA
will be phasing out ATC radar to use ADS-B so I believe the coverage
issue is moot.

Old February 23rd 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I do allot testing on the MS Flight Simulator. I don't Know why I did not think
of it. Thanks.