emergency landing in downtown Montreal ends well

Old September 12th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default emergency landing in downtown Montreal ends well

Jay Beckman wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Stefan wrote:
Jose schrieb:

That's what I heard about Rome.
It's not bad at all. The trick to it is to know that that's what they
do, and more to the point, that's what they expect =you= to do. They
are ready and expect you to be ready.
It only becomes really dangerous when an American overtakes on the right
lane of a highway. Because nobody expects it, nobody is looking there.

Hey, you aren't supposed to do that here, and I think it's a stupid rule.
If you're going to slow, I'm going to pass you, I don't care in which lane
I have to do it in.

I'll remember you said that after they pull you out of the ditch. evil g

There is nothing I hate more than someone who won't even momentarilly lift
to give slower traffic a chace to move to the right.

Problem around here, and were I used to live, is that the slower traffic
feels they have a God-given right to enforce the speed limit.
Old September 12th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Problem around here, and were I used to live, is that the slower traffic
feels they have a God-given right to enforce the speed limit.

Contrasted with the faster traffic that feels they have a God-given right to
ignore the speed limit?

I'm not saying either is good behavior, but it hardly seems like the
speeders have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about traffic
violations.

Old September 12th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Jay Beckman wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Stefan wrote:
Jose schrieb:

[...]

You don't obey the speed limit I was in Dallas Saturday, driving wasn't
too bad. I lived there for 13 years after moving from a small town in
New Mexico. Talk about being lost for the first 6 months

Allen

Old September 12th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

I'll remember you said that after they pull you out of the ditch. evil

There is nothing I hate more than someone who won't even momentarilly
lift to give slower traffic a chace to move to the right.

And some (most...like 95%) won't move right unless forced over!!!

Instead, they run up on your ass and just cut hard right to pass. If I
start to move over and someone pulls that ****, if their front left
hasn't passed my right rear, I finish the move to the right.

What were you doing in the left lane in the first place? silly g

Well, I'm already going 10 over and passing someone else. I'm pretty good
at doing the mental geometry to determine if I can get past the guy doing 5
under before the guy behind me catches up going 10 over my speed. Driving
up to northern AZ, it's a pretty common traffic chess match to have to look
a mile or two ahead to see if there is a truck or motorcoach you'll need to
get past before any faster traffic behind catches up.

Some people are really bad at it and will pull into the left lane to pass
someone at only 2 or 3 miles/hr faster without looking to see that someone
is coming up beind them at a much faster pace. It's truly frustrating to
give up 25mph going up a 6% grade just so the Hyundai can get (slowly)
around the Winebago when I could have passed them both easily if only the
Hyundai had looked in the mirror first.

Unlike most of humanity, I actually know how to use my mirrors, I check
them often and I will get out of the way of faster traffic (unless it
will blow my momentum for passing someone else who is even slower...)

Most drivers use mirrors to check their hair :~(

Whal clippers and a #2 guide = not an issue with me.

It used to be that having someone pass you on the right meant YOU got a
ticket (i.e., you're not supposed to use the left lanes for trolling, only
for cruising.

Like I said, I don't cruise in the left lane, I pass in the left lane. It's
the idiots who won't even give you a split second to get *back* into the
right lane before they have to try blow around you on the right. They don't
get an even break in my world.

Jay B

Old September 12th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Jay Beckman wrote:

snip
Like I said, I don't cruise in the left lane, I pass in the left lane. It's
the idiots who won't even give you a split second to get *back* into the
right lane before they have to try blow around you on the right. They don't
get an even break in my world.

Ain't that the truth. A few weeks ago I was traveling the NY State Thruway
with a truck-load of family and luggage, actually held up for a moment
thanks to several cars in front of me in the left lane. Suddenly this
incredibly road-raged man carrying his wife and young children shoots by me
in the right lane and cuts back into the left lane in front of me, at what
seemed to be a foot or less from my bumper as if to send a message. Those
of us in the left lane had been going about 75 mph or so, so I would have
put his speed at about 85-90 mph.

Scared the crap right out of me and the thought of him catching my bumper
as he cut back into the left lane sent shudders down my spine. In
retrospect, though, any contact probably would have resulted in his smaller
SUV rolling over, but the thought that there are individuals like him who
would put their young children and other drivers in that kind of danger
just boggles my mind.

--
Peter
Old September 12th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

In Ohio (Columbus), they stop about 40 feet behind the car in front of them
so as to not slide into the back of that car during winter weather. Of
course, they still do this is in June, during dry weather.

That's better than the other way 'round.

Here in the Midwest, the first snowstorm of the year always brings a
rash of fender-benders, as folks have to re-learn how to drive in icy
conditions.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 12th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Allen wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Jay Beckman wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Stefan wrote:
Jose schrieb:

[...]

Never said I did. But it's the police job to enforce it, not the jerk
in the left lane doing 10 under.

Old September 12th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jay Beckman wrote:
snip

Like I said, I don't cruise in the left lane, I pass in the left lane.

Yep, I wish they'd make it illegal here to drive in the left lane, like
they did in Indiana.
Old September 12th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Emily wrote:

Jay Beckman wrote:
snip

Like I said, I don't cruise in the left lane, I pass in the left lane.

Yep, I wish they'd make it illegal here to drive in the left lane, like
they did in Indiana.

It is illegal in PA also other than to pass as mentioned above. I
thought most states had a law like this, but maybe not. I don't think
I've ever seen it enforced in PA, but it is on the books.

Matt
Old September 12th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Emily" wrote in message
Jay Beckman wrote:
snip

Like I said, I don't cruise in the left lane, I pass in the left lane.

Yep, I wish they'd make it illegal here to drive in the left lane, like
they did in Indiana.

You'd really get frustrated in AZ as we don't even have a "no trucks in the
left lane" law.

I swear that traffic in general and rush hour in particular here would move
50% better if semis had to stay out of the left two lanes between 6am-9am
and again from 3pm-6pm.

Of course, if they'd just build the damn I-10 bypass around the south end of
town, it would take probably 75% of the trucks out of the mix to begin with.

(Sorry....waaaaaaay OT ... my bad.)

Jay B