Run In With Mr. Edwards

Old August 27th 04, 04:32 PM
Tom S.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:ktGXc.54565$9d6.34678@attbi_s54...
They are few. The people are many. We can also turn from extremely

polite
extremely serious in the blink of an eye. All it takes is a match to

kindle
the flame.

I do believe that a revolution is coming in America.

I do, too. Unfortunately, unless Americans, by and large, change between the
ears, it will onyl end up worse.

Remember that all those politicians in Washington, your state capital, your
county and city offices, was put in there by votes of your firends and
neighbors (certainly YOU had nothing to do with it...di you?).

If you extend all the current trend-lines out to their ultimate

conclusion,
it appears inevitable.

Yup...no longer a matter of IF, but of WHEN.

Or, of course, something bizarre could occur. It used to be called
"compromise" -- although I haven't seen it in quite a while, and I'm not
sure the problems we've got now lend themselves well to it.

Maybe it was those who were willing to compromise their liberty for a
freebie or other handout had something to do with it.

--
"He that would make his own liberty secure,
must guard even his enemy from oppression;

Old August 27th 04, 04:35 PM
Jim Weir

Most of us believe that what we get every four years is REALLY revolting.

Jim

-The thing that keeps a lid on revolution is the perception that change is
-possible through elections. We get to 'revolt' every four years.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 27th 04, 04:36 PM
Tom S.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
They are few. The people are many. We can also turn from extremely

polite
extremely serious in the blink of an eye. All it takes is a match to

kindle
the flame.

I do believe that a revolution is coming in America.

The thing that keeps a lid on revolution is the perception that change is
possible through elections. We get to 'revolt' every four years.

However such a revolution takes place, it is very unlikely to be the one
that bin Laden dreamed of.

More likely it'll look like the Weimar Republic.

Old August 27th 04, 04:43 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Trent,

There are thousands of similar stories that have been told, but our

media
wants to focus on things that America does wrong, like Abu Grahib. But
comparing the two is laughable.

Which is why nobody does.

Well, Ted Kennedy did. Granted, his comments about Abu Ghraib were largely
for political effect, but he directly compared and equated our management of
the prison to Saddam's.

First, as you say, the Saddam horror stories have been told extensively in
the media.

They have, but it's old news. You've got to dig to find them now. Reporting
stories about America's indiscretions is much more juicy. And damaging to
our soldiers who haven't participated in such crimes.

That's no reason not to report about Abu Graib, though. Especially since
the American standard should be different from Saddam's.

Agreed. I'm just saying that we need to keep perspective. Comparing Lindy
England and that bunch to Saddam and his henchmen is like comparing someone
who got caught speeding to Charles Manson.

-Trent

Old August 27th 04, 04:45 PM
Tom S.

"Jack" wrote in message
smackey wrote:

The incident you report had nothing
to do with John Edwards; it is a result
of the necessary security that
surrounds every major pres/VP candidate.

Except that it is not "necessary".

Teddy Roosevelt, Milwaukee 1912.

Old August 27th 04, 04:47 PM
Tom S.

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Most of us believe that what we get every four years is REALLY revolting.

Evidently, every TWO years, too. Strange thing, though, 98+% of the time
they do it to themselves AGAIN.

Old August 27th 04, 10:25 PM
C J Campbell

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Most of us believe that what we get every four years is REALLY revolting.

Jim

Especially this year, when the choice appears to be between Darth Vader
("Bring me the prisoners! I want them alive!") and Gollum (tracing the image
of a heart shaped medallion: "Soooo beautiful. Soooo Preciousss.")

Old August 27th 04, 11:06 PM
JohnMcGrew

In article , Newps
writes:

You'll never see a stick it top the rich surcharge like that again.

Are you kidding? Kerry has already proposed one.

John
Old August 27th 04, 11:06 PM
JohnMcGrew

In article , "Trent Moorehead"
writes:

What a stupid tax! Any policy based on class envy should be examined
extremely closely. I am also very suspicious of very wealthy polititians who
want to penalize wealthy people by increasing their taxes.

It was worse than stupid. Not only did it not collect very much (since people
simply avoided it by purchasing abroad, or not at all) it actually ended up as
a massive net loss to governments at all levels, by tax revenues lost from all
of the businesses that supported the industry, as well as the cost of the
benefits paid to the newly unemployed workers.

This is why luxury taxes in general don't generate very much revenue. Since
they are on "luxuries", which by definition are things that people can easily
live without, it is a simple tax to avoid. This is why the government would
rather tax things that you can't easily do without, such as energy,
transportation, or communications. (Remember Al Gore's BTU tax?)

There was a great study some time back, about the dangers of "envy" and
"revenge". It made the case that people are actually willing to suffer a net
loss, if they actually believe that somebody else that they don't like (like
"the rich") is getting socked worse that they are. This is a very dangerous
phenomenon in a supposed "democracy".

John
Old August 27th 04, 11:45 PM
Dave Stadt

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Most of us believe that what we get every four years is REALLY

revolting.

Jim

Especially this year, when the choice appears to be between Darth Vader
("Bring me the prisoners! I want them alive!") and Gollum (tracing the

image
of a heart shaped medallion: "Soooo beautiful. Soooo Preciousss.")

I thought the choice was more on the order of Beavis and Butt Head.