The price of gas

Old May 18th 04, 03:43 PM
C J Campbell

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:vxoqc.19775$gr.1626453@attbi_s52...
It was serious stuff, folks.

It was a fascinating concept, but they simply couldn't work around the
problem of inevitable accidents.

"Nuclear Plane crashes -- Thousands Perish!" simply was unacceptable

then --
and now.

Except that thousands don't perish when other nuclear powered things crash,
even nuclear weapons.

Old May 18th 04, 03:46 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Flyin'8 wrote:

In 2004 dollars, the high was $2.50 a gallon. We are very unlikely to
reach that level.

Don't know where you are living, but where I am at the price is over
$2.50 / gal.

Wow! Regular mogas is a bit over $1.70/gal here in Joisey.

$2.11 here in suburban Phoenix...and $1.74 just a few miles away in Pinal
County. (The closest refining/storage facilities to Maricopa County (Phoenix
and surrounding area) are in Tucson (90 miles), and that's only a
transportation hub...all refined stuff has to be piped from Oklahoma or
California).

Old May 18th 04, 03:49 PM
Allen

Flyin'8 wrote:

In 2004 dollars, the high was $2.50 a gallon. We are very unlikely to
reach that level.

Don't know where you are living, but where I am at the price is over
$2.50 / gal.

Wow! Regular mogas is a bit over $1.70/gal here in Joisey.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

Regular is between $1.70 and $1.90 here in Waco. That much spread in such a
small area tells me it is not all based on the price of crude. When the
orange growers wanted the price of O. J. up they all screamed about the
terrible late freezes that ruined the blossoms. O. J. went up and never
came back down. When is the last time you have heard of orange crops being
froze? The coffee crop froze in Columbia and Brazil, the price went up and
never came down. Now the dairy farmers have all sold their herds, the price
has gone up and will never go down. Where did the herds all go? Did the
price of beef plunge? NO. All you need is some type of perception of a
causal force and you set the price where you want.

Allen

Old May 18th 04, 03:55 PM
Tom Sixkiller

m...

Flyin'8 wrote:

In 2004 dollars, the high was $2.50 a gallon. We are very unlikely to
reach that level.

Don't know where you are living, but where I am at the price is over
$2.50 / gal.

Wow! Regular mogas is a bit over $1.70/gal here in Joisey.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

Regular is between $1.70 and $1.90 here in Waco. That much spread in such

small area tells me it is not all based on the price of crude. When the
orange growers wanted the price of O. J. up they all screamed about the
terrible late freezes that ruined the blossoms. O. J. went up and never
came back down.

Hmmm...they did here. We'ew paying for frozen OJ wha we did five or ten
years ago (89 cents a can)

When is the last time you have heard of orange crops being
froze? The coffee crop froze in Columbia and Brazil, the price went up

and
never came down.

And demand?

Now the dairy farmers have all sold their herds, the price
has gone up and will never go down. Where did the herds all go? Did the
price of beef plunge? NO. All you need is some type of perception of a
causal force and you set the price where you want.

Oh, if it were that easy.

Old May 18th 04, 03:56 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
It was serious stuff, folks.

It was a fascinating concept, but they simply couldn't work around the
problem of inevitable accidents.

"Nuclear Plane crashes -- Thousands Perish!" simply was unacceptable

then --
and now.

Except that thousands don't perish when other nuclear powered things

crash,
even nuclear weapons.

Three Mile Island spewed less radioactivity than Denver gets on a sunny day.

Old May 18th 04, 04:02 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

It was a fascinating concept, but they simply couldn't work around the
problem of inevitable accidents.

Not true. They couldn't lick the shielding problem.

Old May 18th 04, 04:09 PM
G.R. Patterson III

CVBreard wrote:

In the 1950s (1960s?), there was a serious USAF project/study to use a nuclear
reactor to power a B-36..

No, they used a B-36 to carry a reactor up to run some tests to see how the reactor
behaved in flight. There was no proposal to power the B-36 with one. They *did* get
far enough along on a design for an atomic aircraft for one of the model companies
(Aurora, IIRC) to market a plastic kit of the plane during the early and mid 60s.

As part of the research, they also built two huge towers west of Oak Ridge, TN shaped
like goal posts. There was a containment building for a reactor core located between
the towers. The towers served as cranes to lift the reactor out of it's shell and
into the air for studies. Last time I looked, the towers were still visible from the
eastbound lanes of I-40 west of Knoxville.

Old May 18th 04, 04:25 PM
PaulH

Then the uncertainty premium will disappear
and prices will drop. I doubt that any actual release would be
necessary, but a million barrels a day ought to take care of it and
could be sustained until after the election

The uncertainty premium isn't going away soon regardless of what Bush
or anyone else does. Saudi Arabia has the world's largest oil
reserves and that infrastructure has now become a terrorist target.
It's not going to be difficult for terrorists to damage that target.
Even a little damage is going to jack up the uncertainty a lot.
Old May 18th 04, 04:42 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , CVBreard wrote:
If you know what happens to crude (all the distilling and pumping and cracking
and hydro-treating and reforming and blending and testing...

Having spent 6 years living in Houston, I can tell you what it smells
like and how it leaves light brown deposits on the leading edge of an
aircraft though!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 18th 04, 05:57 PM
Teacherjh

It was a fascinating concept, but they simply couldn't work around the
problem of inevitable accidents.

Not true. They couldn't lick the shielding problem.

I think I'd just as soon not have JQ Public be buying sufficient quantities of
fissionable material to fly an airplane as a matter or course.

Jose