Boycot Fuel Week!!

Old April 13th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lawson

Default Boycot Fuel Week!!

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lawson" wrote:

I've got an idea,
lets try doing something smart instead of something simple and
profitable.

which it is? do something smart or tax people into the poor house?

No idea really Bob, if someone comes up with a good idea that will work I
hope we recognize it. I pay a lot of tax now, taxing my fuel more heavily
will not be the worst thing that can happen to me if that money is put to
truly good use finding a new way of transporting things. I pay 3.20
something now. If that were to suddenly rise to $5 or six, I would manage.
Perhaps I would be encouraged to find a new way to service my customers that
would give me a competitive edge. Perhaps my customers would find different
ways of doing things, maybe someone would come up with a car that was more
than 20% efficient. Gas WILL be $5, then 6, then 10. It WILL happen, perhaps
if we do it now, we can research a solution rather than send all the money
to the people who attacked us in the first place. Right now it looks to me
like we're just making sure they win in the long run.

So far the only solution we've been offered is to turn our food into a
gasoline additive, something that just seems wrong to me. So, if they really
offered me the choice of more expensive gas not made from food, I'd likely
buy that.

Old April 13th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lawson

"Jay Maynard" wrote in message
I'm not trying o. I am explaining my rationale in hopes that you will
somehow realize that people's choices are valid even if they disagree from
yours.

I'm not interested in your rational Jay. If you drove a Kenworth I wouldn't
care. Your choices are your own, you have to pay for them. Please refer back
to the original statement that started all this. IF you want to pay less for
fuel, use less fuel. It's simple and self evident truth, justifying those
choices is not going to cut your fuel costs. You choose to drive more than
you have to in a vehiicle that burns a certain amount of fuel. That cost is
determined by you and your choices. I've been trying to tell you that it is
your choice and not to try to justify them to me. You can't and you
shouldn't try to. My judgement of your choices should be entire irrelevant
to you and I don't think I said anywhere that I disagreed with them.

I have every right to think what I want about you Jay, and I will thanks.
also have every right to tell you so should I choose to do so.

I have a perfect right to tell you to butt the hell out of my life, too.

Yes you do, but in what respect do you feel that a series of typed letters
on an open newsgroup telling you that you should probably not be concerned
about what I think or say about your choices is IN your life? Ignore me,
delete me. Don't explain yourself to me, I don't need it or deserve it from
a stranger.

Anyway, I've had a very nice day trying to advance an idea or two maybe
somebody will think about some portion of it without blowing a fuse.

Right now I have to bring in some wood. I cut my heating costs and now I
have to sacrifice some labour. If I should hurt myself and end up in the
hospital because of my reckless disregard of axe safety, please do not
harvest my organs. I'm not quite done with them yet.

Old April 13th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2008-04-12, Lawson wrote:
So, you're one guy who only drives his 4 wheel drive (on road I imagine)
only a LITTLE more than he figures he has to.

Damn right I drive a 4WD vehicle on snowy roads in Minnesota. It still
gets
27-30 MPG on the highway, which is where 95% of my driving gets done.

I've been to Minnesota Jay, it's only snowy a small percentage of the time.

So what's the alternative?

Buy a super econo-box and either rent something real or stay home in
the winter?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 13th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Just remember, that if you are talking to anyone younger than 30 years
old, they have never lived through a real recession.

Every time I hear young people talk about this "recession" -- with
historically below average unemployment and interest rates at 6% -- I
remember that we haven't had bad times in America since Jimmy Carter was
POTUS...

Kids today really have no idea what a recession is like.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 13th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

wrote
So what's the alternative?

Buy a super econo-box and either rent something real or stay home in
the winter?

Lawson's writing style is combative, argumentative, and rather troll like.

Sound familiar?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 13th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

Just remember, that if you are talking to anyone younger than 30 years
old, they have never lived through a real recession.

Every time I hear young people talk about this "recession" -- with
historically below average unemployment and interest rates at 6% -- I
remember that we haven't had bad times in America since Jimmy Carter was
POTUS...

Kids today really have no idea what a recession is like.

Exactly what I was saying. They have no reference to know how to compare
how bad a recession could be.

If a solution to the high energy prices can not be found (I fear anything
will be too little, too late, at this point) then they may find out too soon
what a real recession is.

A recession should be carefully avoided, as it is not a good thing to live
through, and if others out there have lived through one, they will agree to
this, completely.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 13th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Just remember, that if you are talking to anyone younger than 30 years
old, they have never lived through a real recession.

Every time I hear young people talk about this "recession" -- with
historically below average unemployment and interest rates at 6% -- I
remember that we haven't had bad times in America since Jimmy Carter was
POTUS...

Kids today really have no idea what a recession is like.

Or even what a recession is! Hint: contrary to the news media's claims,
we aren't IN a recession as we have yet to have two consecutive quarters
of negative GDP "growth."

Matt
Old April 13th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Morgans wrote:
[...]

Well, having lived through the oil embargo of 1973 and the Carter
economy of the later 70s, I'm not sure recessions are all bad. They
tend to trim the fat out of both business and personal budgets, cause
people to be more efficient, etc. I think an occasional recession is
probably a good thing.

Matt
Old April 13th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Private

On 2008-04-12, Lawson wrote:
So, you're one guy who only drives his 4 wheel drive (on road I
imagine)
only a LITTLE more than he figures he has to.

Damn right I drive a 4WD vehicle on snowy roads in Minnesota. It still
gets
27-30 MPG on the highway, which is where 95% of my driving gets done.

I've been to Minnesota Jay, it's only snowy a small percentage of the
time.

So what's the alternative?

Buy a super econo-box and either rent something real or stay home in
the winter?

IMHO the alternative is good radial winter tires mounted on dedicated rims
to make seasonal changes easy. I live in the Rocky mountains and while we
probably get a little less snow than Minnesota, winter tires allow me to go
everywhere my 4x4 did with the possible exception of the last 250 feet of my
driveway, YMMV. With the savings on fuel I am prepared to do a little
shoveling or just walk a few more feet to my house, both are good exercise.

27-30 mpg is not as bad as some (or most), but not all your driving is on
hwy. I drove nothing but 4x4 vehicles for many years in the mistaken belief
that I needed them. I now use a front wheel drive mini wagon with a roof
rack and find that it does (almost) everything I did before with a much
bigger vehicle but at a much reduced cost of both fuel and everything else
like initial cost, tires and brakes. I now get 37mp(us)g combined and my
wife gets 45mp(us)g hwy, (I get a little less). Not making unnecessary
trips is a 100% saving on fuel and maintenance. I estimate that using a
smaller vehicle has reduced my transportation costs at least 50%. YMMV

Happy landings,

Old April 14th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

"Lawson" wrote:

IF the government was truly interested in helping, they's stop giving
tax breaks to oil companies, tax the crap out of gasoline and let it
rise to $10. Then maybe we'd use less, maybe. Addiction is a hard
mistress, it leads us to make poor choices and then justify them

http://storyofstuff.com