Interesting engine?

Old December 9th 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Interesting engine?

Roger wrote:

I also mentioned that an engine running on
Hydrogen can be almost twice as efficient as an internal combustion
engine running on gas.

Wouldn't twice the efficiency of a gasoline engine
be greater than the maximum thermodynamic
efficiency?

--

FF

Old December 9th 05, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article ,
Roger wrote:

As to conservation: If every car and truck on the road could cut
their consumption by a third (33%) by what ever means, we'd probably
no longer have to import oil.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

According to Environmental Attorney Robert F. Kennedy, Jr, senior
counsel for the National Resources Defense Fund:

* If we raise fuel efficiency standards in American cars by one mile
per gallon, in one year, we would save twice the amount of oil that
could be obtained from the arctic national wildlife refuge
* Raise it by 2.7 miles a gallon to eliminate all the oil imports from
Iraq and Kuwait combined
* Raise it by 7.6 mpg, we eliminate one-hundred percent of our gulf oil
imports into this country.

end quote.

(Unfortunately, every time cars are made more fuel efficient, Americans
drive more.)
Old December 9th 05, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Roger" wrote

As to conservation: If every car and truck on the road could cut
their consumption by a third (33%) by what ever means, we'd probably
no longer have to import oil.

Really? I don't doubt you are sincere in stating that, but I find it hard
to believe. How did you figure that, or was it a s-wag? ;-)

By the way, I'm looking forward to your Titanic show! Way to go!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 9th 05, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:47:44 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote

As to conservation: If every car and truck on the road could cut
their consumption by a third (33%) by what ever means, we'd probably
no longer have to import oil.

Really? I don't doubt you are sincere in stating that, but I find it hard
to believe. How did you figure that, or was it a s-wag? ;-)

You will note the weasel word in there, "probably":-)) However, I
based that on the % of fuel we import, and the estimated national
consumption on the roads.

By the way, I'm looking forward to your Titanic show! Way to go!

Titanic show? Now what did I mistype, or my spell checker
change?:-))

Old December 10th 05, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

He's thinking of Rogwe Long, not Roger Halstead.

Old December 10th 05, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
oups.com...
He's thinking of Rogwe Long, not Roger Halstead.

YES, you are correct. So, who do I have to pay? g
--
Jim in NC

Old December 19th 05, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Smitty Two wrote:

(Unfortunately, every time cars are made more fuel efficient, Americans
drive more.)

According to commentator George Will, for a 10% increase
in fuel economy Americans drive 2% more. He wrote that
means improvement in fuel economy _may_ result in Americans
using more gas than without the improvement. That opinion
is not shared by those of us who learned arithmetic in elementary
school.

--

FF

Old December 20th 05, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Roger wrote:
On 19 Dec 2005 12:50:42 -0800, wrote:

So, what he said may, or may not be true depending on the price of gas
at any particular time.

It is never true that driving 2% farther with a improvement
in economy of 10% will result in more gas being used.

--

FF