things to carry

Old July 8th 04, 06:03 AM
Ken Reed

How many people here have any sort of First Aid/CPR training, or have
considered getting some?

BLS (CPR) & ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) and instructor in both.
Often when I fly I have my anesthesia equipment with me as I fly to work
with my residents.

If you've had training, are you legally & practically current in it?

Absolutely !

A CPR ticket is legally valid for three years - practical currency,
as always, is another matter!

From our studies, we have found the vast majority of dentists and their
staff (and I'm sure physicians and other health care providers too) cannot
perform reasonable (not perfect) CPR in as little as six months after
taking the course.

Also, "legally valid" is poor terminology. For a few years now the card
simply says that you have "successfully completed the curriculum" on a
particular date. I haven't taught the American Red Cross BLS courses in a
few years, but they expired after one year. The American Heart Association
courses expire after two years. Who issues a card for three years ?
--
Ken Reed
http://www.dentalzzz.com
Old July 8th 04, 10:59 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:31:24 GMT, john smith wrote:

Dan, what works best in your neck of the woods?

100 percent DEET, when it was sold. I used to buy it from CampMor. I
don't think it's possible any longer to get it. I usually see things
like 30 percent DEET, and it seems to work just as well. Perhaps 100
percent was overkill.

The manufacturer doesn't matter. It's just perfume and delivery that
you're paying for. The CampMor bottle has been in my pocket so long
the label has rubbed off. Two ounces has lasted for years, but I don't
use it around home. Ah no, here's a spare bottle with a label: it's
actually 95 percent DEET.

CAMPMOR NEVERBITE INSECT REPELLENT. As I say, I don't think they sell
it any longer.

You do have to keep DEET off glasses frames (and lenses, if they're
plastic!).
all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old July 8th 04, 11:07 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:12:32 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

there you go. that's the crux of a 2 day $120 dollar first aid course

Except that one is likely to remember the course material, whereas an
email is in one eye and out the other. (Except for me: I have only one
usable eye.)

I think everyone should do an EMT course, though mine was so long ago
that evidently the name has changed to First Responder. I don't think
it cost very much either. It lasted a whole lot longer, something like
three months, one night a week. Very valuable.

My daughter the sailor takes these wilderness medicine courses and
finds them useful. It is the closest thing to what a sailor
encounters. I should think a pilot is in much the same boat (as it
were). The problem with EMT training is that it assume the doctor or
hospital is only half an hour away, and this is not the situation for
a boat at sea or a plane in the woods.

Old July 8th 04, 01:56 PM
Nathan Gilliatt

In article ,
Cub Driver wrote:

I think everyone should do an EMT course, though mine was so long ago
that evidently the name has changed to First Responder. I don't think
it cost very much either. It lasted a whole lot longer, something like
three months, one night a week. Very valuable.

From what I've seen, they're different. EMT courses are designed for
people who want EMT jobs, so they assume that you'll have the equipment
on the truck/ambulance, and they get into topics like stabilizing the
patient for transport. I haven't seen a syllabus for the Red Cross FR
course, but I think it's a more general advanced first aid course. The
target audience is broader--police, others who may be first on a scene.

If anyone has taken the Red Cross FR course and could compare it to the
other first aid courses, I'd like to know more about it.

- Nathan
Old July 8th 04, 05:23 PM
Peter Duniho

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
[...]
The parents go to Ajax and the kiddies go to Buttermilk (or perhaps I
have that wrong, and the kiddies are bumpging the moguls on the Back
of Bell). And they talk, talk, talk. Where are you now? We're here.
Where shall we have lunch? Are you having fun?

Yes, but would you prefer that they contact each other using whistles
instead?

Old July 8th 04, 07:17 PM
BillC85

1. First-aid kit
2. Compass and know how to use it
3. Map(s) of the area where you will be
4. Small functional pocket knife
5. Flashlight with good batteries (extras & bulb)
6. Raingear; parka and pants
7. Sunscreen
8. Extra food and water
9. Fire kit, waterproof container of matches, candle, etc.
10. Whistle

11. If you're flying over wilderness, a big ass gun.

I don't know if it's urban legend or not but I heard of a pilot who crashed
in the Rockies. He survived the crash but was pinned in the wreckage. A
nice family of bears came along and ate him.

Cheers,

BillC

Old July 8th 04, 09:00 PM
Brian Burger

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Ken Reed wrote:

A CPR ticket is legally valid for three years - practical currency,
as always, is another matter!

From our studies, we have found the vast majority of dentists and their
staff (and I'm sure physicians and other health care providers too) cannot
perform reasonable (not perfect) CPR in as little as six months after
taking the course.

Ouch. This doesn't bode well for those of us who aren't medical
professionals, does it? I *think* I could do CPR reasonably if someone
keeled over in in the next ten minutes, but...

Also, "legally valid" is poor terminology. For a few years now the card
simply says that you have "successfully completed the curriculum" on a
particular date. I haven't taught the American Red Cross BLS courses in a
few years, but they expired after one year. The American Heart Association
courses expire after two years. Who issues a card for three years ?

The Canadian Red Cross. My Standard First Aid/CPR 'C' card has a Nov. 2006
expiry date. People who need the CPR for work (lifeguards, nurses, etc)
have to recert annually, though.

AFAIK there is some legal validity, too. The Canadian Red Cross provides a
certain amount of liability insurance to anyone who's got a valid CPR
ticket from them, in case the Good Samaritan laws don't cover something
reasonable you've done. (apparently this insurance is very, very rarely
used, thankfully.)

Brian.
Old July 8th 04, 09:46 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message news:hLwGc.16623$JR4.7695@attbi_s54...
A pilot crashed on a NH mountain in fog yesterday. He survived, but his
17-year-old son did not. Rescuers were able to find him in part because he
was blowing a whistle. I just added one to my flight bag.
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?J3AA12BB8)

In addition to our first aid kit we have (within reach) and smoke hood
and a fire extinguisher.