The President's Space Initiative Speech

Old January 15th 04, 06:55 AM
Morgans

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
Jay, you have to weigh the cost and the benefits. It doesn't make any

sense
to go now, the technology is not ready. The whole idea is election year
politics, its pathetic.

Mike

Perhaps it is election year politics, but I think not. More people are
against it than for it, I think. Not too good for politics, then.

Of coarse the technology is not ready. That is exactly the point. Tec is
born in the space program. Look at your MU-2. Start counting the Apollo
born tec. Look around you at home, and work. Look at all the space program
tec.

I wonder if we can afford NOT to go.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 15th 04, 12:20 PM
Bob Noel

In article . net,
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:

Do YOU want to pay for it? How about privatizing all the airports to pay
for it? A $5 gallon tax on fuel? There really is no upside to doing
this.
We are already overspending at a rate that is unsustainable.

I'm willing to pay for a real space program. I'd rather pay
for that than a lot of the stupid stuff Congress jams into
the budget that just ****es our money away.

--
Bob Noel
Old January 15th 04, 12:39 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm willing to pay for a real space program. I'd rather pay
for that than a lot of the stupid stuff Congress jams into
the budget that just ****es our money away.

The Federal Gubmint (thanks to our own Senator Grassley) has appropriated $5
million (it may be more) to build a RAIN FOREST here in Iowa City.

You heard me right -- a goddam RAIN FOREST. Most people around here are
dumbfounded, since the developer was unable to drum up any local support for
the cockamamie idea.

Still think we can't afford to cut the budget enough to pay for a real space
program?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 15th 04, 12:45 PM
plumb bob

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'm willing to pay for a real space program. I'd rather pay
for that than a lot of the stupid stuff Congress jams into
the budget that just ****es our money away.

The Federal Gubmint (thanks to our own Senator Grassley) has appropriated

$5
million (it may be more) to build a RAIN FOREST here in Iowa City.

You heard me right -- a goddam RAIN FOREST. Most people around here are
dumbfounded, since the developer was unable to drum up any local support

for
the cockamamie idea.

Still think we can't afford to cut the budget enough to pay for a real

space
program?

By that logic, spending any amount is ok. There is a big difference between
$5 million and $1 trillion.

Old January 15th 04, 12:45 PM
Jay Honeck

However, in my opinion, the main reason why Bush is doing this is because
the Chinese have already announced that they are going to the moon. Bush
(or at least those who tell him what to do) know that once we fall behind

in
space we are finished as a player in world affairs, and probably finished

as
a free country.

I've said it before, and it bears saying again: Space exploration (and
world domination) belong to the Chinese. They are the upcoming "next big
thing," and have the enthusiasm, drive, and discipline to get the job done.

This thread is indicative of how far we have fallen since the Apollo
program. Hell, when a bunch of *pilots* can't even support manned space
exploration, we are surely doomed as a nation.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 15th 04, 12:50 PM
plumb bob

"Earl Grieda" wrote in message

However, in my opinion, the main reason why Bush is doing this is because
the Chinese have already announced that they are going to the moon. Bush
(or at least those who tell him what to do) know that once we fall behind

in
space we are finished as a player in world affairs, and probably finished

as
a free country.

How can we fall behind the Chinese because they are going to the moon? We
already did that almost 35 years ago!

One of the most laughable parts of Bush's speech was when he said that a
human base on the moon would make space exploration cheaper? Yep folks,
according to the president, a moon base is going to SAVE us some money.
Oooookaaay.

Old January 15th 04, 12:52 PM
Jay Honeck

President Bush is right. I agree with everything he said
today, his speech spelled it out perfectly and Im going to help in
whatever way I can. And I do not stand alone. There is going
to be great support for this from a lot of very smart and brave
people. That is how I know it will not fail.

I'm with you 100%, but I fear that rich and powerful special interests stand
in our way.

Remember: The "Great Society" special interest groups are now
self-perpetuating. After all, if they were to actually "cure" poverty (or
sickness, or the environment, or fill in the blank) they would all be
unemployed. As a result, they will continually demand more money, and
continually find new "causes" to cure.

These groups will present a powerful resistance to anything as
forward-looking and positive as new Mars initiative.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 15th 04, 01:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

The Federal Gubmint (thanks to our own Senator Grassley) has appropriated

$5
million (it may be more) to build a RAIN FOREST here in Iowa City.

You heard me right -- a goddam RAIN FOREST. Most people around here are
dumbfounded, since the developer was unable to drum up any local support

for
the cockamamie idea.

Still think we can't afford to cut the budget enough to pay for a real

space
program?

Sure, there is plenty of unconstitutional spending that could be cut to pay
for other unconstitutional activities.

Old January 15th 04, 02:01 PM
Jay Honeck

By that logic, spending any amount is ok. There is a big difference
between
$5 million and $1 trillion.

Multiply that one instance by a thousand, and you'll come close to the pork
in this budget.

And your "$1 trillion" is nothing but boiler-plate. You're talking about
the total cost of a 25 - 40 year project.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 15th 04, 02:06 PM
Jay Honeck

One of the most laughable parts of Bush's speech was when he said that a
human base on the moon would make space exploration cheaper? Yep folks,
according to the president, a moon base is going to SAVE us some money.
Oooookaaay.

The science behind interplanetary space travel dictates that a moon base
WILL make space exploration cheaper.

The main cost of space exploration is in the booster system required to
escape Earth's gravity. Launching from the moon's lesser gravitational pull
is much easier, requires smaller rockets, and is thus much cheaper.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
Hubble plug to be pulled John Carrier Military Aviation 33 March 19th 04 04:19 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM
OT (sorta): Bush Will Announce New Space Missions Dav1936531 Military Aviation 0 January 9th 04 10:34 AM
Strategic Command Missions Rely on Space Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 30th 03 09:59 PM