Check in ...East Coast BLACKOUT

Old August 17th 03, 02:14 AM
Robert Perkins

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:38:39 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

Uh... modern laptops connected to a land telephone line would have had
at least 4 hours of battery life for a careful user to shepherd all
the way through the crisis, to get updates.

Uh.....as they watched their solar powered TVs to get the WEB address.

Doh! Hadn't thought of that one. Proves how ubiquitous all this stuff
is...

OK, I give. The gummint rep wasn't thinking clearly, unless he was
making a nationwide announcement so we voyeurs out west could watch
the train wreck without calling into an agency's office?

Nah.

Rob
Old August 17th 03, 02:24 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Halstead wrote:

Of the modern countries the US is ranked as the lowest when it comes
to cell phones as the primary phone.

That's because we have the most advanced landline system.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.
Old August 17th 03, 02:26 AM
Tom S.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Wizard of Draws wrote:

I'm only getting half of my normal allotment of SPAM. Sliver lining and
all that.

I've been told that much of the telemarketing business is located in

Toronto,
which was affected by the blackout. Wonder if it's a big center for spam
generators?

Indeed, it's guesses that 90% of SPAM now originates offshore, with Canada,
China and Brazil being the worst players.

Old August 17th 03, 02:59 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Tom S." wrote:

When I was stationed in Germany in the early 70's, a phone was about $100 a
month and long distance was pretty much out of the question. LD calls had to
go through the operator. When I got back, the phone was $11 a month. Wonder
what it costs now.

They privatized the phone system in the 90's. It may or may not be cheaper,
but it's easier for German people to get a phone now than it used to be. The
Indian phone system is still a nightmare, however. Cell or satellite is the
only real option there.

Old August 17th 03, 03:21 AM
Morgans

Roger Halstead wrote:

Of the modern countries the US is ranked as the lowest when it comes
to cell phones as the primary phone.

That's because we have the most advanced landline system.

George Patterson

I was in Ecquador a couple of years ago, and they have payphones sprinkled
around the country that have cell antennas right on the booth. Even more of
a surprise was the company sponsoring them. None other than "southern bell"
right down to the very emblem I get on my phone bill!
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 17th 03, 03:22 AM
Drew Hamilton

Montblack wrote:
Check in when you get back up and running.

I'm checking in now, Saturday night, having just got back up and running.

Actually, my power was only out for 20 hours or so, but my Internet
connection was gone for another 30 after that.

- awh

Old August 17th 03, 04:18 AM
Jim Fisher

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
I wonder how they backup the cell towers and how long the will stay up
without the power lines.

You ever notice those little "dog houses" that sit beside the tower? It
houses a generator. Usually powered by natural gas so it's fuel supply is
virtually limitless.

--
Jim Fisher

Old August 17th 03, 11:58 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:33:16 -0700, Tom S. wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote:

Of the modern countries the US is ranked as the lowest when it comes
to cell phones as the primary phone.

That's because we have the most advanced landline system.

IBTD.

And, for all we gripe about it, a phone here costs about $20-30 a month.
Most of the rest of the world pay from two to five times (or more) that
amount.

ah!

When I was stationed in Germany in the early 70's, a phone was about $100 a

oh yes. Hardfacts from 30 years back.

month and long distance was pretty much out of the question. LD calls had to
go through the operator. When I got back, the phone was $11 a month. Wonder
what it costs now.

Prices are rather similar, for about this rate you can have a ISDN line.
Calling rates dropped dramatically in hte last year. For me it is cheaper
to call from Europe to the US than calling home when in the US.

actually: in Europe you have a quote of 60 to 90% of cell phone users
(Italy is leasing).
most of the telephone landlines are not older than 50 years and you can
have mostly everywhere a 56K modem conect (only few use 33.6 modems).

the European power system is designed for stability and we have one shared
power network.

to see the difference before and after the power-outage:
Satellite Views Of The Blackout

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/nightli...efore-text.jpg

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/nightli...after-text.jpg

It was a former US energy minister who said the US is world leader in
economy etc, with a 3rd world-like power network.

#m
--
http://www.usawatch.org/ http://www.alternet.org/
Don't like your neighbor? - https://tips.fbi.gov/

Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity.
Old August 17th 03, 12:46 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:59:22 -0400, G.R. Patterson III wrote:

They privatized the phone system in the 90's. It may or may not be cheaper,
but it's easier for German people to get a phone now than it used to be.

At least true for Austria: You are guaranteed an installation within 6 days
of your order.

#m

Old August 17th 03, 04:45 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 01:13:19 GMT, "Peter Gottlieb"
wrote:

Hook up a cable to the UPS comm port and set it up to do an orderly shutdown
at 10% battery life remaining.

That is the way mine is set up for the one computer.
Unfortunately the second computer is pretty much on its own.
Hence the desire to get three more UPS.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

snip