31 Days till OSH

Old June 23rd 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Default 31 Days till OSH

Jay Honeck wrote in
oups.com:

You should really look at the new compact fluorescents.

I replaced all the hallway lights on the first floor of one of our
buildings with compact fluroescent, as an experiment.

Yes, they burn out far less often, and put out far less heat. They're
probably more efficient, too -- but, damn, it makes the hallway look
like something out of "The Matrix". In fact, that's what our staff
calls that hallway now. (I'll show it to you when you're here next
month.)

Until they get rid of that weird flickery greenish/yellowish coloring,
I don't want to switch any more.

LEDs would sure be nice, but none of the light bulb companies
apparently want to put their "bread & butter" at risk.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Have you looked at http://www.ledlight.com/?

As for the CFL lights, there is a "daylight" version which looks very much
like sunlight. I tried them and like them, but they do take some getting
used to. Like everyone else, I was used to the warm yellow from
incadescents and switching to the "daylight" fluourescent is a very
noticeable change. I got these "daylight" CFLs at Home Depot Expo. I've
even switched my 4' fluourescent tubes over to the "daylight" version.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old June 23rd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Until they get rid of that weird flickery greenish/yellowish coloring,
I don't want to switch any more.

They come in different color temperatures, Jay. Also, quality does matter;
you might have gotten some bad ones. I've been very pleased with the ones
I've bought at Home depot. Get the "daylight white" ones next time.

In a hotel, they could really save you a lot of utility costs.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old June 23rd 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

RST Engineering wrote:
Jay,
You should really look at the new compact fluorescents. The old ones were
sort of yellowish and had a tendency to pop if you looked at them crosseyed,
but the new ones are really sturdy, white, and I haven't changed one in
three or four years. I've got them in the house, in the shop, in the lab,
and in the hangar. I remember that on one of our first trips to the
hardware store when Gail moved to California we got a raft of them for our
computer benches. I just looked up and out of 7 bulbs that burn almost 8-10
hours a day, three of them were from that first batch --- and that was 1995.

I have been using them since 1997. Initially, I used them for the porch
and garage lights. They are on 24/7/365. They last over one-year before
requiring replacement.
Old June 24th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

We are still less expensive that the HID lights, and ours will never
need a bulb change.

How do they compare in lumens, and in beam width and height?
--
Jim in NC

Old June 24th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

1) How do I find the Wed. party (I'm a notorious party crasher)?

It's easy. Just go to the EAA camp registration booth at the entrance
to the North 40, and give them our "N" number (N56993).

They will give you a precise campsite number, and provide vectors for
a safe approach to all that beer!

(Remember to go to the EAA booth BEFORE the airshow! If you wait till
after the airshow, you'll likely find them closed!)

2) Has anyone tried to get a UPS delivery at the campground?

Delivery? I've heard that's possible, but they'll deliver it to the
UPS booth on the field, and you've got to pick it up from there.

Every year we ship a TON of stuff home from Airventure (usually dirty
laundry!), and it works great to give you more useful load for all the
stuff we buy there each year!

I hope you make it -- the rec.aviation party is REALLY fun, very
relaxed, and it's a blast to actually meet the people you've "known"
here for so long...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 24th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom McQuinn

Delivery? I've heard that's possible, but they'll deliver it to the
UPS booth on the field, and you've got to pick it up from there.

I talked to the guy in the UPS tent last year. I think he said you have
two options - the UPS tent on the show grounds and a UPS store that
didn't sound very far away. I am toying with shipping my Diblasi
scooter there and it would be a bit much to bring back to camp via
shuttle car. Then again, I haven't see what the shipping would
cost..........

Tom
Old June 24th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

The UPS store is north of the field about 8-10 miles on the main drag that
goes by the Pioneer Inn, through downtown Oshkosh, and then becomes a back
road to Appleton.

JIm

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

Old June 24th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
[Compact fluorescents] burn out far less often, and put out far less
heat. They're probably more efficient, too

All true. Remember, in the summer, you get to pay for much more than
the power an incandescent lamp draws - you put, say, 60 W into the lamp
and get, say 5 W of light and 55 W of heat. Then you have to run the
air conditioner longer to pump that 55 W of heat outside. Swap that for
a 13 W CFL and not only does more of that 13 W turn into light, less of
it turns into heat that you have to pump outside. The flip side with
CFLs is that in the winter, you have to run the furnace longer to make
up for the heat that you aren't getting from incandescent lamps.

-- but, damn, it makes the hallway look like something out of "The
Matrix". In fact, that's what our staff calls that hallway now.

As has been mentioned, you can get them in different color temperatures.
Unfortunately, even though most lamps (incandescent, CFL, whatever) have
the watts and lumens clearly marked on the packaging, the color
temperature is not often marked or is not marked clearly. I did see
some CFLs at either Lowe's or Home Depot that had packages marked "cool"
in blue letters or "warm" in red letters, which is at least a start.

Lamp geeks will talk about color temperature in degrees Kelvin, like
"2800 K". Fluorescent lamps are sometimes marked this way, but sometimes
they use a code like "28" for 2800 K, "30" for 3000 K, and sometimes
aren't marked at all. The big fusion reactor that runs the world has a
color temperature of about 5785 K. A plain old incandescent lamp is
about 2800 K. Some CFLs are way over 3500 K, although ones down to
2700 K are available. A higher color temperature is usually described
as "colder" light, while lower is "warmer".

There is another number called the Color Rendering Index or CRI that is
supposed to show how well colors appear to human vision. I think it can
be computed for any lamp, but it is most often quoted for fluorescent
lamps. A CRI of 100 is "perfect"; a good-quality fluorescent lamp will
probably be in the high 80s or low 90s.

Most of the "big name" manufacturers have lamp catalogs with a lot of
technical data online, and this can be a good way to find out the real
specs of what you can get in the local stores. (It's safe to assume
that the employees at the big-box store will be clueless.) They may
also have "recommend a lamp" features on their Web sites, either
automated or with a human. Another option might be to talk to a local
or regional lamp distributor; the salesman there should be able to give
you some level of advice on what lamps will look good in what situations.
Also, if you're in a restaurant or another hotel, look at the fixtures
to see what they're using. If they are CFLs and you like the way they
look, get a part number from the lamp (if you can reach it) or inquire
of the management.

LEDs would sure be nice, but none of the light bulb companies
apparently want to put their "bread & butter" at risk.

The reason that there aren't white LED lamps is the same reason that
there aren't battery-electric airplanes. Right now, for "white"
light, fluorescent lamps are just about the most efficient thing
around. To make money, LEDs have to beat fluorescents and they aren't
quite there yet - but probably will get there within the next few years.

If you want a particular color of light, LED lamps are already about the
most efficient way to get it. LEDs are catching on for stage lighting
in a big way; not only are they not nearly as hot, but you can have one
fixture with red, green, and blue LEDs in it and a knob on the back (or
a computer connection) so you can dial up any color you like. LEDs also
last a long time, which is part of the reason why they are popular in
applications like traffic lights, where labor cost to replace is a good
chunk of the budget. In the past few years, some of the red warning
lamps on radio towers and other aerial obstacles appear to be LEDs as
well.

Matt Roberds

Old June 24th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

Lamp geeks will talk about color temperature in degrees Kelvin, like
"2800 K". Fluorescent lamps are sometimes marked this way, but sometimes
they use a code like "28" for 2800 K, "30" for 3000 K, and sometimes
aren't marked at all.

Check again, now. Most of the fluorescents I see at Lowe's DO have the
Kelvin temperature on the package.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 24th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Jun 22, 7:58 pm, "Montblack" Y4_NOT!...
wrote:
("xyzzy" wrote)

Who's in?

I will be flying into my first Oshkosh this year.

Will you be around on Wednesday evening for the (5th Annual) rec.aviation
party?

If I am I'll be looking for it, but I'll be part of a club trip, and
traditionally our groups arrive early (Saturday) and leave early.

old days Airman Rotorcraft 23 January 2nd 07 01:36 PM
Dynamite bought the twin towers down say 73 top professors...I get it, you'll wait till you hear it from Katie Couric. [email protected] Piloting 39 September 13th 06 06:04 PM
Just a few more days Louis L. Perley III Owning 1 December 31st 04 01:36 PM
Two bad days... Yeff Military Aviation 0 July 3rd 04 09:31 PM
Meigs, its not over till its over... Stuart King Instrument Flight Rules 1 October 22nd 03 04:08 PM