Radio waves vs light waves

Old February 19th 04, 04:18 PM
Teacherjh

So why can't we use high-intensity lights powered by a nuclear reactor
as a source of space propulsion?

They can. But the F is small, so you need a lot of t to reach much of a v, as
long as you are far enough from a g.

Such systems have only been developed in science fiction however because we are
not yet doing enough interstellar travel, and people are uncomfortable with
nuclear reactors in space.

Jose

Old February 19th 04, 04:21 PM
Teacherjh

radar technicians have accidently had eye damage from looking into a working
antenna...

or even looking away from... as proximity is the only important factor, not
orientation.

Jose

Old February 19th 04, 04:39 PM
Thomas Borchert

John,

....Compare with Bosons, which like to be in the same state.

Not true. There used to be great herds of bosons, and they would roam
across several states in the great plains. They're gone now.

But now, the Bozos roam there.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 19th 04, 06:26 PM
One's Too Many

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Ross Oliver" wrote in message

Everyone else has focused (!) on wavelength, but no one has mentioned
radiated power.

That's because the question was "does my lens focus the radio waves", not
"is my retina being cooked".

There have been cases of people getting their eyeballs and other body
parts "cooked" by exposure to strong RF, particularly microwaves, due
to the same principle by which your (duh) microwave oven works. Tissue
damage occurs because of simple heating of molecules of matter from
the sheer raw power of the RF, not due to any "focusing" of
wavelengths.

The eyes, due to the high water content, are especially susceptible to
such damage.
Old February 19th 04, 07:08 PM
Peter Duniho

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
Larger is better, however... Look at the dish at Arecibo for example..
http://www.rainforestsafari.com/observe.html

Radio antennae such as that one use reflection, not refraction, to focus
radio waves. In fact, I'm not aware of a single refractor radio antenna.

Similarily, a camera lens that works efficiently at lower light levels

will
be larger in diameter for a given focal length than one that doesn't work

as
efficiently... i.e., an f:2.8 lens versus an f:1.4 lens..

Larger optical lenses are "faster" (i.e. lower f- number) because they
gather more light. It has nothing to do with wavelengths.

Pete

Old February 19th 04, 07:09 PM
Peter Duniho

"One's Too Many" wrote in message
om...
There have been cases of people getting their eyeballs and other body
parts "cooked" by exposure to strong RF

So?

Old February 19th 04, 08:22 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

Ok, so just what IS a photon?

A photon is a contrivance that has turned out to be unnecessary. (see "In
search of Schrodinger's Kittens")

Old February 19th 04, 08:24 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Tim Witt" wrote in message
om...
Jim Weir wrote in message

. ..
You kept it out of technobabble, but you kept it far from the truth.

So how about explaining what was untruthful, rather than offering a
drive-by shooting critique. I read these posts to get smarter not as
a forum for putdowns.

Mr. Weir gets offended when people post over his head. It is only his way
of expressing his displeasure.

Weir is a big asset to small GA, so he can pretty much express his
displeasure as he pleases.

Old February 19th 04, 08:26 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Ross Oliver" wrote in message

Everyone else has focused (!) on wavelength, but no one has mentioned
radiated power.

That's because the question was "does my lens focus the radio waves", not
"is my retina being cooked".

A front silvered mirror will.

Old February 19th 04, 08:37 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

So why can't we use high-intensity lights powered by a nuclear reactor
as a source of space propulsion?

They can. But the F is small, so you need a lot of t to reach much of a

v, as
long as you are far enough from a g.

Such systems have only been developed in science fiction however because

we are
not yet doing enough interstellar travel, and people are uncomfortable

with
nuclear reactors in space.

Here is something interesting Jose.

Although light is not conducted like RF, light behaves very much like RF in
a wave guide.