Adventures in TSA land

Old October 21st 04, 05:54 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

What amazes an outsider like myself is how the US public
has been swayed by the political spin doctors in believing that a
highly educated, highly decorated loyal veteran would be a worse
commander in chief and would somehow be less capable to protect the US
from threats than who you have now.

Oh no! Here we go! I refuse to trash you for saying this, but I can only
imagine what others are going to say. Thankfully, I keep my monitor encased
in asbestos whenever I read this forum. For what it's worth, I just want to
point out that both candidates can be considered "highly educated", given
that they attended more or less the exact same schools.

---

Old October 21st 04, 06:58 PM
David Brooks

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
"David Brooks" wrote
As I pointed out in my submission, and AOPA pointed out in their

submission
filed today, the document in the Federal Register contains a clear

mistake.

It may be clear, but it's authoritative. Same as the letter exempting
current students.

I was referring to the contradiction between the preamble comments and the
actual text of the rule. They can't both be authoritative, and I was working
on the belief the rule overrides its own commentary

However, there's a flurry of "clarifications" by TSA on the docket

today.

They're coming fast and furious now. And they're all authoritative -
straight from the chief counsel's office. In a way, the TSA is better
than the FAA - at least they're willing to tell us exactly what the
rule means, from an authoritative source, rather than intentionally
keeping it vague so they can bust us later.

Well, in a legal sense they are telling us what it means. Less kind
observers will say they are just plain changing the rule, wholesale, with
zero comment period. At the very least the rulings amount to a rewrite of
the Definitions section.

-- David Brooks
Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old October 21st 04, 07:07 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:54:45 GMT, "Geoffrey Barnes"
wrote in
. net::

For what it's worth, I just want to
point out that both candidates can be considered "highly educated", given
that they attended more or less the exact same schools.

You're overlooking the grades they received at those schools.

http://www.guerillastickers.com/opinion_gbush.htm

When It Comes To Hypocrisy, He's Brilliant!

By Ellis Henican Newsday

"To those of you who received honors, awards, and distinctions, I
say, well done. And to the C students, I say you too can be
president of the United States." George W. Bush, Yale commencement
address, 33 years after graduation

He was a C student at Phillips Andover. He got a not-so-stellar
1206 on his SATs - 566 verbal, 640 math. That was a full 180
points below the median score for the Yale University class of
'68. But boola-boola for him! In the fall of 1964, George W. Bush
was welcomed inside Yale's ivy-covered walls as a "legacy
admittee." And why not? The wisecracking Texas teen had something
far more powerful than dumb ol' test scores or silly grades. He
had a father, George H.W. Bush, who was a rich and prominent Yale
alum. And a grandfather, too. Prescott S. Bush, the aristocratic
Connecticut senator, was even a Yale trustee.

Freshman year, his grades put him in the 21st percentile of his
class, meaning four-fifths of his classmates did better than the
Future Leader of the Free World. And in the years that followed,
young W never pulled his average above a C. His college
transcript, in an eye-popping leak to The New Yorker magazine,
showed a 73 in Introduction to the American Political System and a
71 in Introduction to International Relations, to cite two
examples that could mean something in hindsight.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:06 AM
Roger

wrote:

What amazes an outsider like myself is how the US public
has been swayed by the political spin doctors in believing that a
highly educated, highly decorated loyal veteran would be a worse
commander in chief and would somehow be less capable to protect the US
from threats than who you have now.

Oh no! Here we go! I refuse to trash you for saying this, but I can only
imagine what others are going to say. Thankfully, I keep my monitor encased
in asbestos whenever I read this forum. For what it's worth, I just want to
point out that both candidates can be considered "highly educated", given
that they attended more or less the exact same schools.

Both educated, both wealthy although one is more so, and both have had
questions raised about their military service. One is pro firearms
and the other con. One is "upper society" while the other is not.
Neither is a man of the "little people" and one didn't make it to
very many sessions to vote. The two are polar opposits. Hence the
stark division between the people who see one as good and the other as
.... well not from both sides of the fence.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

---

Old October 22nd 04, 12:34 AM
Newps

TD wrote:

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message news:pridnR14gcOiMOjcRVn-

Until it is declared a threat by our goverment and we occupy it then take it
over.

Please take us over. My earnings would double and I would actually be
able to afford to buy a new plane!!

And that's just by using real money, not that stuff you use now.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:47 AM
NW_PILOT

"Newps" wrote in message

TD wrote:

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

Until it is declared a threat by our goverment and we occupy it then

take it
over.

Please take us over. My earnings would double and I would actually be
able to afford to buy a new plane!!

And that's just by using real money, not that stuff you use now.

Yep you call your money funny names like loony's & toony's! Canada is the
only place I have seen ware you have to stick in a loony to get a shopping
cart. You get the money back when you return the shopping cart. That was in
estavan not sure if it happens anyplace else in Canada.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:57 AM
Peter Duniho

"Roger" wrote in message
Both educated, both wealthy although one is more so, and both have had
questions raised about their military service.

True.

One is pro firearms and the other con.

False. Or, giving you the most benefit of the doubt, that is at the very
least an incredibly broad oversimplification of their gun ownership views.

One is "upper society" while the other is not.

I assume you mean Bush is not "upper society". Not sure how you determined
this...in his circles, he certainly is. Just because he has no idea how to
properly use the English language, that doesn't mean he's not "upper
society".

Neither is a man of the "little people" and one didn't make it to
very many sessions to vote.

As far as I know, Bush didn't make it to any Senate sessions to vote either.

There's no feasible way to compare the two, especially since a) it's not
atypical for a senator to miss a number of votes, and b) Kerry absences are
mainly explained by the fact that he's been campaigning. It's not like Bush
has a great attendance record for the Oval Office himself, again due to his
campaigning

The two are polar opposits.

Not really. Frankly, I find them to be uncomfortably similar, as much as
the media (and their campaigns, for that matter) would love to have us think
they are polar opposites.

Hence the
stark division between the people who see one as good and the other as
... well not from both sides of the fence.

The stark division is because most people want to view the world that way.
Even as much as Democrats/liberals claim to be open-minded and want to take
in a variety of viewpoints, they can be just as "black and white" as
Republicans/conservatives.

Personally, I don't have much hope that Kerry will do better than Bush. But
I know for a fact Bush has been a complete disaster. I'm more than happy to
just keep trading in my President until I get one I like.

Pete

Old October 22nd 04, 03:32 AM
BTIZ

so when are they going to publish a "final" authorative rule.. can't keep
checking the docet to see what's really current..

BT

Old October 22nd 04, 07:43 AM
Roger

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:57:23 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .
Both educated, both wealthy although one is more so, and both have had
questions raised about their military service.

True.

One is pro firearms and the other con.

False. Or, giving you the most benefit of the doubt, that is at the very

No, that one is true. Kerry claims to be a hunter and pro gun rights,
but his voting record is decidedly anti-gun. The Brady campaign and
several others give him an A.

Personally, I don't have much hope that Kerry will do better than Bush. But
I know for a fact Bush has been a complete disaster. I'm more than happy to
just keep trading in my President until I get one I like.

Then there is the Devil you know Vs the Devil you don't. :-))

Bush's fundamentalism, Born again Christian stance scares me as does
Kerry's anti-gun, pro-un (we should align our laws to the UN and not
our constitution.) stance. Actually it's Kerry's claim to be pro gun
owner's rights when his record shows the opposite that scares me.

Too bad if "non of the above" won they don't have to run new
candidates.

Old October 22nd 04, 07:49 AM
Roger

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:47:27 -0700, "NW_PILOT"
wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

TD wrote:

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

Until it is declared a threat by our goverment and we occupy it then

take it
over.

Please take us over. My earnings would double and I would actually be
able to afford to buy a new plane!!

And that's just by using real money, not that stuff you use now.

Yep you call your money funny names like loony's & toony's! Canada is the
only place I have seen ware you have to stick in a loony to get a shopping
cart. You get the money back when you return the shopping cart. That was in
estavan not sure if it happens anyplace else in Canada.

Man oh man, but I'd like to see that here in the US. Maybe it'd cure
a few of those who are too lazy to even put the carts in the rack out
in the parking lot. They can't manage to push an empty cart 20 feet
to where it belongs so the wind ends up blowing it across the parking
lot into someone's car.

A couple weeks back I was pulling into a spot when one came around the
front of the car on my right in a curve. I was almost to a stop but
hit it head on. I'd swear that sucker made it 30 feet before it
landed. Stayed on it's feet too.