X-Prize is currently live on Discovery Science Channel

Old October 6th 04, 12:14 AM
Blueskies

"Corky Scott" wrote in message ...
On 5 Oct 2004 05:21:06 -0700, ChuckSlusarczyk
wrote:

I say it's a fantastic job well done!

So say us all!!

Chuck (former NASA geek) S

It was a great feat, done in typically inventive Rutan fashion. I'm
just having a hard time imagining how it could be of any possible use
to anyone besides Burt Rutan and Richard Branson. Is this to be the
near space equivalent of a carnival thrill ride, albeit a hideously
expensive and extremely dangerous one?

I really do see this as an impressive engineering demonstration, it
just seems so, I don't know, useless. It's like spending millions to
develop a car that can go 2,000 miles per hour. What do you do with
it? Where can you drive it?

Corky Scott

Look he http://www.nogravity.com/

Old October 6th 04, 12:51 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Ron Wanttaja says...

I taped CNN's post-landing coverage and watched it last night. Dr.
Diamandis is arranging additional money to encourage the other X-prize
entrants to keep going. He says there's going to be a big Fly-Off in
Arizona in 2006; they're going to bring all the contestants together and
spend a week launching their vehicles. THAT'S going to be fun to watch.

Now that will be just to cool.Kinda like a giant model airplane contest except
with full size models. Ron how fast do you think we can we come up with
something? :-)

See ya

Chuck S

Old October 6th 04, 01:17 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Shiver Me Timbers says...

TO THE GROUP ------ Correct me if I am wrong.

According to the time stamps that I see on Chuck's postings in the
thread in question, his first posting was at 12.42 where he introduced
the Zoom and Juan factor into a thread congratulating Burt Rutan's
accomplishment, and Chuck's congratulatory post to Burt and the gang
did not take place until 2.02 Pm..... one hour and twenty minutes
later.

Chuck.... Those time stamps speak for themselves and I do believe I
have my facts correct.

Your right the times are correct but so what. I did lots of e mails and some
postings that night and that's how they came out. I never realized that Rutan
would be insulted because I took a jab at zoom before I posted a congratulatory
post on RAH. I had already sent one to the Rutan home page. But you wouldn't
have known that would you? Me thinks you protest too much. I saw no protests
from you over the political debates between jaun and others .Nor any comments
about the threads about the cats .Nor any protests about many of the inane
discussions that appear on this group ..Only when I said something about zoom.
Once again I detect a bias sorry but that's how I feel.

Since I have no axe to grind in the continuing saga of you, Zoom,
and Juan, you will never find me putting my two cents into those
discussions.

Timber what you say is true but that didn't stop you from criticizing me and
putting your .02 cents worth in that discussion. How can that be when you say
you have no ax to grind. Sorry But I smell an agenda...

But Chuck the thread in question was not about you, Zoom, or Juan,
it was about Burt Rutan and his historical accomplishment that day,
and for whatever reason you just couldn't and wouldn't pass by the
opportunity to introduce the Zoom factor and blow your nose.

I'll explain the relevance once again. zoom and jaun have been bragging about
how important a job zoom had with the project.I was merely commenting about what
seems to be a bit of empty noise from zoom and jaun. So my comments were
relevent.Maybe you don't think so but, hey it's a free country.

And my question to you is why did you feel it necessary to detract from
Burt's accomplishments just so you could advance your own personal
agenda....??????

I don't think Burt gives a rat's patootie about what I wrote and besides I never
said anything that was detrimental about what they had accomplished.
That was all your perception. I still wonder who's got the agenda around here?

It's not as if you couldn't have started up a new thread with a
different subject line, like you have done dozens of times in the past.

I guess I could have but I never guessed that someone would take such offense
to such a minor thing. At this point let's just say we agree to disagree and
leave it at that. This discussion is pointless.

Have a nice day

Chuck S

Old October 6th 04, 01:34 AM
bryan chaisone

Roger Halstead wrote in message . ..
People were getting choked up all over the place including the two
watching from our place:-))

To me this was more momentous than the original Mercury flights and
the whole project probably cost less than one of those capsules.

I don't know about more, but it ranks up there.

The flight of SpaceShipOne is the opening of the door to space flight
for industry and the world in a way that could never be approached by
the governments of the world.

To me, it also saids that America still got it. We are still the
inovators. Not just a military bully. It sends a very positive
message.

To me it now makes going to the other planets much more of a
possibility but how long before "Protect the Planets" groups emerge?

I'm gonna form one right now! Just kidding.

I say it's a fantastic job well done!

A big A+.

Bryan
Old October 6th 04, 01:39 AM
bryan chaisone

Ron Wanttaja wrote in message . ..

He says there's going to be a big Fly-Off in
Arizona in 2006; they're going to bring all the contestants together and
spend a week launching their vehicles. THAT'S going to be fun to watch.

Ron Wanttaja

I'm gonna be there for that one, if I can help it.

Bryan
Old October 6th 04, 01:46 AM
bryan chaisone

Shiver Me Timbers wrote in message ...

But Chuck the thread in question was not about you, Zoom, or Juan,
it was about Burt Rutan and his historical accomplishment that day,

Yes. I feel for Chuck, but above statement is correct.

Bryan
Old October 6th 04, 03:37 AM
Richard Lamb

Richard Isakson wrote:

"Shiver Me Timbers" wrote ...
But Chuck the thread in question was not about you, Zoom, or Juan,
it was about Burt Rutan and his historical accomplishment that day,

"Historical" is probably a good discription. The technology used yesterday
was fifty years old. The only real question was why it took twenty five
million dollars of someone elses money to do it.

On top of that, the reentry system was just about as dorky as you can get.
Do you understand that if they go much higher that system won't work? Of
course, even the X15 couldn't go much higher than it went because of reentry
problems. Above 100 km its all free fall and that means higher reentry
speeds and that means a different reentry method.

Rich

and different control systems appropriate to the enviornment
eg: vernier thrusters for pitch. yaw, and roll.

BTW, isn't the X-15 hanging in the Smithsonian the one that did the
last speed dash - kinda melted in places?

Richard
Old October 6th 04, 03:39 AM
Richard Lamb

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:

In article , Ron Wanttaja says...

I taped CNN's post-landing coverage and watched it last night. Dr.
Diamandis is arranging additional money to encourage the other X-prize
entrants to keep going. He says there's going to be a big Fly-Off in
Arizona in 2006; they're going to bring all the contestants together and
spend a week launching their vehicles. THAT'S going to be fun to watch.

Now that will be just to cool.Kinda like a giant model airplane contest except
with full size models. Ron how fast do you think we can we come up with
something? :-)

See ya

Chuck S

What's on your mind, Chuck?

Junk yard Spaceships?

Richard
Old October 6th 04, 03:55 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On 5 Oct 2004 16:51:43 -0700, ChuckSlusarczyk
wrote:

In article , Ron Wanttaja says...

I taped CNN's post-landing coverage and watched it last night. Dr.
Diamandis is arranging additional money to encourage the other X-prize
entrants to keep going. He says there's going to be a big Fly-Off in
Arizona in 2006; they're going to bring all the contestants together and
spend a week launching their vehicles. THAT'S going to be fun to watch.

Now that will be just to cool.Kinda like a giant model airplane contest except
with full size models. Ron how fast do you think we can we come up with
something? :-)

Depends on how much I can smuggle away from work under my coat. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old October 6th 04, 03:56 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Richard Lamb says...

Now that will be just to cool.Kinda like a giant model airplane contest except
with full size models. Ron how fast do you think we can we come up with
something? :-)

See ya

Chuck S

What's on your mind, Chuck?

Junk yard Spaceships?

Heh Heh heh you read my mind, except this time the winner gets cash :-)They
could turn us loose in an old NASA dump and see what we could come up with.

See ya

Chuck (Miami gearhead) S