Merry Christmas to Everyone

Old December 26th 04, 08:52 PM
tony roberts

You have to be pretty anal to get upset about anyones expression of
religion.

Here is Kelowna we had complaints from a group of athiests this year
about the nativity scene downtown.

What I didn't understand is that if they are athiests they would surely
see the nativity scene as just a bunch of dolls - so what's to be
offended about?

I was raised in a Protestant/Catholic family in Britain and have lived
in many countries with different religions including Buddhist, Jewish,
Hindu, Jain, Sikh and Moslem. Frankly I couldn't care less who or what
anyone worships - it certainly doesn't offend me.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,
"C J Campbell" wrote:

"Dude" wrote in message
Meryy Christmas And God Bless You too!

This group is so non PC, I love it.

BTW, be careful about saying "Happy Holidays" anymore. There are now
reactionaries out there that think you are trying to secularize Christmas

if
you say that.

Let people wish others well in their own way, and I will wish them well in
mine.

Old December 26th 04, 10:46 PM
RobertR237

Blanche wrote:

What about the winter equinox earlier this week?

That's really what we all are celebrating, regardless of what we call it. As
nearly as anyone can tell, Christ was actually born sometime in August, and
his
birth was originally celebrated then (though the early church didn't put much
emphasis on that holiday - Easter was the biggie). Christmas was moved to
late
December in the third century. The Romans persecution was at its height, and
the
church wanted the congregation to appear to be celebrating the Roman holidays
just like everyone else.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

The why it is celebrated in December is not important, and "WE ALL" are not
celebrating the winter equinox. Speak only for yourself.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old December 27th 04, 12:32 AM
C J Campbell

"RobertR237" wrote in message

The why it is celebrated in December is not important, and "WE ALL" are

not
celebrating the winter equinox. Speak only for yourself.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Exactly. If I want to celebrate the birth of Christ, it matters little to me
what other people are celebrating, though I might appreciate an invitation.
:-)

Old December 27th 04, 02:14 AM
Matt Whiting

tony roberts wrote:

You have to be pretty anal to get upset about anyones expression of
religion.

Here is Kelowna we had complaints from a group of athiests this year
about the nativity scene downtown.

What I didn't understand is that if they are athiests they would surely
see the nativity scene as just a bunch of dolls - so what's to be
offended about?

I was raised in a Protestant/Catholic family in Britain and have lived
in many countries with different religions including Buddhist, Jewish,
Hindu, Jain, Sikh and Moslem. Frankly I couldn't care less who or what
anyone worships - it certainly doesn't offend me.

I agree. I don't think the issue with atheists is being offended by a
religious expression, they are just jealous because others are happy and
they are miserable. :-)

Matt

Old December 27th 04, 03:36 AM
C J Campbell

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
The Politically
Correct crowd in this country won't allow you to say Merry Christmas
without mentioning the phoney made-up "African" holiday that is Kwanza.

heavy sigh Near as I can tell, I wished people a Merry Christmas. None of
the supposedly PC liberals mentioned Kwanza. You did.

Old December 27th 04, 07:35 AM
C J Campbell

wrote in message

However, when all the Airedale worshippers on the town council decide
to put a replica of the Holy Airedale on the town green, they've
crossed the line, as far as I'm concerned. I have a feeling a good
number of christians would feel the same, and insist the Holy Airedale
be removed.

Ah yes. The old "I am intolerant because I think they might be as intolerant
as I am" argument.

Old December 27th 04, 12:57 PM
Jon Kraus

I wouldn't call it a "tirade" at all, you did. I said that it was my
..02 and it was. As usual with things on the left, the Political
coorectness in this country has gone way over the edge.

My horizons are broad. I don't believe in the "African-American"
bull****. 99% of black folks have never set foot in Africa and have long
been remove from relatives that are from Africa. Sorry to bust your
bubble but they are just plain old Americans just like me. Again just my
..02.

Merry Chrismas

Jon Kraus (an American not a German-American)
PP-ASEL
Student Mooney Owner

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message

Just seems odd to me that Kwanza is piped up to be this big African
celebration

By whom? I never heard anyone call it an "African celebration".

and "real" Africans have never heard of it.

It's not an African tradition. It's an African-American construct,
celebrated by a minority of African-Americans, and a few other people.
There's no reason to expect Africans to have heard of it, nor is it telling
or unusual in any way that Africans have not.

The holiday does borrow a lot from African culture, but that doesn't make it
African.

The Politically Correct crowd in this country won't allow you to say Merry
Christmas without mentioning the phoney made-up "African" holiday that is
Kwanza.

Ahh, I see. You're just trying to co-opt Kwanza in your goal to write an
anti-PC tirade.

Still, I don't see why you have to be so hostile toward Kwanza. It's no
more "phoney" or "made-up" than any other holiday we celebrate. It's just a
lot newer. It's never been advertised as an "African" holiday. It's
African-American, which is an entire culture unto itself. You should at
least broaden your horizons enough to understand the difference between
"African-American" and "African". They aren't the same thing.

Pete