The FAA continues it's war on General Aviation

Old July 9th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default The FAA continues it's war on General Aviation

Dave Stadt wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 03:22:27 GMT, Judah wrote in
::

There are those that believe that speed zones and speed limits in
general were created for no other reason than to create enforcement
actions and produce revenue (in the form of speeding tickets)...
I always thought the 55 mph speed limit was a result of insurance
company lobbying. After all, the energy of a collision impact is
reduced by the *square* of the relative velocity of the automobiles
involved.
Also -- and this is important -- Any "moving violation" (exceeding the
speed limit) gives the insurance companies an excuse to raise your rates
through the roof, because you are a "bad driver".

What insurance company do you use? Mine have never even asked.

They don't have to ask, it is public information available from your state
DMV.

They've never raised my rates, either.
Old July 9th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:40:17 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote in ::

The 55mph limit was
enacted due to the fake energy crisis, insurance had nothing to do with it.

Of course, you are able to provide PROOF of the validity of such an
absolute (comma spliced) statement. :-)
Old July 9th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

The 55mph limit was
enacted due to the fake energy crisis, insurance had nothing to do with it.

Of course, you are able to provide PROOF of the validity of such an
absolute (comma spliced) statement. :-)

Where were you when the national 55 mph limit was enacted? Almost
all of the discussion was about fuel economy.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 9th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:38:46 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
::

Almost all of the discussion was about fuel economy.

Follow the money.
Old July 9th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Almost all of the discussion was about fuel economy.

Follow the money.

do you dispute that almost all of the discussion was about fuel economy?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 9th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:56:41 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
::

do you dispute that almost all of the discussion was about fuel economy?

Call me a cynic, but the discussion to which you refer smells to me
like a typical congressional boondoggle.
Old July 10th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 03:22:27 GMT, Judah wrote in
::

There are those that believe that speed zones and speed limits in general
were created for no other reason than to create enforcement actions and
produce revenue (in the form of speeding tickets)...

I always thought the 55 mph speed limit was a result of insurance
company lobbying. After all, the energy of a collision impact is
reduced by the *square* of the relative velocity of the automobiles
involved.

Actually, IIRC the 55 MPH speed limit was "invented" during the Carter Gas
Crisis to save fuel. Before then, 65MPH speed limits were common. I recall a
study that was done that said that most US drivers are willing to drive 10MPH
higher than the posted speed limit on a highway, whatever the posted speed
limit is - when a highway was 55MPH, the average speed was 65MPH. When the
same highway was raised back to 65MPH, the average speed went up to 75MPH...

Old July 10th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
Also -- and this is important -- Any "moving violation" (exceeding the
speed limit) gives the insurance companies an excuse to raise your rates
through the roof, because you are a "bad driver".

I'm an Excellent Driver. Sometimes daddy let me drive in the driveway. Wopner
at 5.
Old July 10th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Judah wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

[...]

We can blame a lot on Jimmy Carter, but the "double nickel" came to us
under Nixon -- not Carter. Of course, the Dems, with their trial lawyer
buddies, fought tooth and nail to retain it once Newt Gingrich and Co.
got control of the House.
Old July 10th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

wrote in ::

The 55mph limit was
enacted due to the fake energy crisis, insurance had nothing to do with
it.

Of course, you are able to provide PROOF of the validity of such an
absolute (comma spliced) statement. :-)

Certainly, go look up newspaper articles and other reports of the day. If
you find insurance mentioned even once as a cause of the reduced speed limit
report back. I was there and heard and read the reports of the time.
That's all the proof I need.