Space Shuttle.

Old December 29th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Oz Lander[_2_]

Default Space Shuttle.

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Think of it this way. The shuttle isn't moving fast, its landing on a
fast moving object. Landing on the earth is like a carrier landing,
the earth is spinning around and the shuttle has to match to it.

-Robert

That makes sense! Thanks!

--
Oz Lander.
Straight and Level Down Under Forum.
Old December 29th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
The upshot, to a pilot, is that space objects cannot do "slow flight."

What about when they let John Glen ride a couple years ago? I heard they
wouldn't let him drive because they were concened that he would end up
orbiting the earth at 25 miles per hour with the turn signals on...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 29th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:31:44 -0500, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at
wow way d0t com wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
The upshot, to a pilot, is that space objects cannot do "slow flight."

What about when they let John Glen ride a couple years ago? I heard they
wouldn't let him drive because they were concened that he would end up
orbiting the earth at 25 miles per hour with the turn signals on...

And they had the engine igniters wired to a "Clapper".... :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old December 29th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

John Smith wrote in
:

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

John Smith wrote in
:

In article ,
"Mike Noel" wrote:

As long as were on the subject of getting into and out of orbit,
anyone want to discuss the space elevator concept?

What is going to be used as the counter-mass in space?
Is someone going to trap the proper sized rock in the asteroid belt
and haul it back to the desired Earth orbit to attach to the top of
the elevator tube?

We could use anthony. We'd have to check as to his exact mass, but I
bet it's in the ballpark.

Mass (definition) - anything that has weight and takes up space.

While Anthony does take up space in these forums, I think most would
agree that what he writes carries no weight.

I was thinking more of the pile of Krispy Kreme boxes in the corner of his
bedrom and where their contents have gone.

Bertie
Old December 29th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
brtlmj

What about when they let John Glen ride a couple years ago? I heard they
wouldn't let him drive because they were concened that he would end up
orbiting the earth at 25 miles per hour with the turn signals on...

And they had the engine igniters wired to a "Clapper".... :-)

Don't forget about the trifocal windshield... ;-)