VFR position reporting

Old November 20th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Gideon

Default VFR position reporting

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:28:31 +0000, Viperdoc wrote:

the picture I had was of an adult

That pretty much excludes the OP, if that's to whom you were referring.

male sitting in
front of a computer "talking" and making position reports with a game, and
then getting upset and asking why he couldn't make out a road on the
pixelated and smoothed out imagery of MSFS. This image is a little more
troubling.

Shrug There are a lot of people that seem to be involved in aviation
simulation. There's even this "network" of them where some play pilot
while others play controller. They actually do talk to one another.

Most of them are harmless. Some are going to become pilots; others will
remain forever pretenders. But I'm no better than a pretend cook, so who
am I to judge?

Unfortunately, one likes to post here as if he's an actual pilot.
Admittedly, that does seem disconnected from reality. But I'm sure a
qualified shrink would find my own disconnects w/o too much trouble, so...

I let my now ten year old dial frequency changes on the radios, and let
him take the stick and fly for a while as well. (referring now to
flying a real airplane, and not MSFS, which he finds boring) He enjoys
the participation.

Of course! I look forward to years of that "participation" as my own sons
age into the front seat (and then their own certificates, not that I'm
biased or anything {8^).

- Andrew

Old November 20th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:33:20 -0800, Bob Gardner wrote:

Uh... Andrew, you do realize that Flight Watch is a purely weather
position with no other responsibilities, right? Call FSS, yes, call Flight
Watch, no.

I've often wondered: why the distinction? Isn't Flight Watch the same set
of people?

- Andrew (a different Andrew)

Old November 20th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:53:35 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

The only time I have been denied flight following was in the middle of
nowhere, returning to LA from Santa Fe. There were thunderstorms and IFR
flights were diverting all over the place.

Being denied flight following in the NE New Jersey area isn't unheard of,
although it's certainly not common. Something going on (ie. last time
there was a RADAR down somewhere, though not where I was so I didn't grasp
the connection) certainly makes denial more likely.

But mere volume is sufficient, at least for some controllers.

- Andrew

Old November 20th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc[_2_]

Why argue with his trolling? The killfile would be a lot more useful.

Old November 20th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob Gardner

Thomas!! You mean that you have never seen a small airplane crash during a
television show? g Humonguous ball of flame extending hundreds of feet
into the air. Scary, until you realize that the airplane being shown has a
max fuel capacity of maybe 50 gallons.

Bob Gardner

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Mxsmanic,

Aircraft with plenty of fuel on board will often burst into flames
when they crash,

Oh? Factual support?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 20th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob Gardner

They all work in the same building and get paid from the same pool of money,
but the last time I visited the Seattle AFSS there was one person at the
Flight Watch position whose sole responsibility it was to answer queries
about the weather on 122.0...s/he worked no other frequency. And his scope
did not have a flight plan screen, as did the other scopes in the room.

Bob Gardner

news

Old November 20th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 11/20/06 14:13, Bob Gardner wrote:
Thomas!! You mean that you have never seen a small airplane crash during a
television show? g Humonguous ball of flame extending hundreds of feet
into the air. Scary, until you realize that the airplane being shown has a
max fuel capacity of maybe 50 gallons.

Yes, in fact I've seen (on TV) cars explode three and four times. Especially
when they drive off a cliff.

That's real, isn't it? ;-)

Bob Gardner

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Mxsmanic,

Aircraft with plenty of fuel on board will often burst into flames
when they crash,

Oh? Factual support?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old November 20th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Blanche

Mxsmanic wrote:
I'm still not clear on the exact procedure for position reports if you
are flying VFR over long distances without flight following. To whom
do you report your position, and what information should it include?
Which positions do you report and how often?

1) No one.
2) None.
3) Not ever.

Unless you are on flight following or in airspace that requires
radio contact, there is no obligation to talk to anyone.

Old November 20th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Wade Hasbrouck

"Blanche" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
I'm still not clear on the exact procedure for position reports if you
are flying VFR over long distances without flight following. To whom
do you report your position, and what information should it include?
Which positions do you report and how often?

1) No one.
2) None.
3) Not ever.

Unless you are on flight following or in airspace that requires
radio contact, there is no obligation to talk to anyone.

Even Flight Following is not going to ask you for position reports, as they
already know where you're at, except on initial call up, you should provide
your approximate position. I know some people will include position when
they check-in with a controller they have been handed off to, but isn't
necessary.

Old November 20th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Lee

Mark Hansen wrote:

On 11/20/06 14:13, Bob Gardner wrote:
Thomas!! You mean that you have never seen a small airplane crash during a
television show? g Humonguous ball of flame extending hundreds of feet
into the air. Scary, until you realize that the airplane being shown has a
max fuel capacity of maybe 50 gallons.

Yes, in fact I've seen (on TV) cars explode three and four times. Especially
when they drive off a cliff.

That's real, isn't it? ;-)

What is neat is when they explode just after going off a cliff, in
midair without hitting anything. It must be magic. Or a Ford
featured in the faked news footage of some time ago.

Ron Lee