Is it just me that thinks this was stupid

Old May 15th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Is it just me that thinks this was stupid

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

You have to love the Duke! Poor Robert Stack. With an engine hanging off
the wing, raw fuel pouring out all over the place, the passengers yelling
and screaming in the back that they're all going to die, solid IFR, on
vectors to the FAF with nothing but the city below him and the fuel gauges
on empty, the Duke, who KNOWS that unusable fuel just MIGHT be usable,
slaps him in the puss and hollers, "Shut up and fly!"
Ah...the movies!!! Great Stuff!! :-))

Robert Stack, hell! My wifes slaps me like that regularly...,"Shut up and
whatever!"

Old May 15th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"Jose" wrote in message
et...
Knowing the gang on this forum, I'll bet someone finds the answer before
this thread is finished :-))

Threads finish?

I think "wander" might be a better term :-)
I remember one that started with "What's the concrete mix ratio for concrete
runways please?" and finished about 80 posts later with
"Picking a good CFI is the first decision you make as a pilot that has to be
right"
Ya gotta love Usenet!!!
Dudley Henriques

Old May 15th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

You have to love the Duke! Poor Robert Stack. With an engine hanging off
the wing, raw fuel pouring out all over the place, the passengers yelling
and screaming in the back that they're all going to die, solid IFR, on
vectors to the FAF with nothing but the city below him and the fuel
gauges on empty, the Duke, who KNOWS that unusable fuel just MIGHT be
usable, slaps him in the puss and hollers, "Shut up and fly!"
Ah...the movies!!! Great Stuff!! :-))

Robert Stack, hell! My wifes slaps me like that regularly...,"Shut up and
whatever!"

DRIVE! That's the word. I hear it all the time :-))
DH

Old May 15th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On May 14, 1:03 am, "Bravo Two Zero" wrote:
A small plane crashed into Lake Pleasant, just outside of Phoenix, at approx
8pm Friday, while the pilot was reportedly talking on his cellphone and
flying 10 feet above the water.

According to thr FAA, the pilot was talking on a cellphone to a friend in a
boat below and asked the friend to shine a flashlight in the air to signal
the boat's location.

Darwin award possibility

Robert

Old May 15th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ArtP

On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:48:20 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Wouldn't your MPG be better at altitude?

Besides ground effect, winds aloft can have a very great effect on
MPG. If you have a head wind stay low.

Old May 15th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On May 15, 9:22 am, "Dudley Henriques" wrote:
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

You have to love the Duke! Poor Robert Stack. With an engine hanging off
the wing, raw fuel pouring out all over the place, the passengers yelling
and screaming in the back that they're all going to die, solid IFR, on
vectors to the FAF with nothing but the city below him and the fuel
gauges on empty, the Duke, who KNOWS that unusable fuel just MIGHT be
usable, slaps him in the puss and hollers, "Shut up and fly!"
Ah...the movies!!! Great Stuff!! :-))

Robert Stack, hell! My wifes slaps me like that regularly...,"Shut up and
whatever!"

DRIVE! That's the word. I hear it all the time :-))
DH

That is a great scene in a great movie. That movie is so wonderful.
It was back in an era when the "words" more or less were compliments
to the acting not the entire show.

the last scenes, the one under the wing as the manager of the airline
talks to all the crew and one by one they walk off into the fog until
it is just "the old pelican" and The manager. What acting on
everyones part. The looks in Stacks face, and the Duke...

Oh my goodness. IN a non western/war movie this is some of the best
The Duke does.

Robert

Old May 15th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"Luke Skywalker" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Right up there with my all time favorite scene with Dean Jagger doing the
segue at both ends of 12'oclock high.
This segue was probably one of the finest bits of creative direction and
acting ever shot on film. A masterpiece of direction by Henry King!
Dudley Henriques

Old May 15th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On May 15, 11:26 am, "Dudley Henriques" wrote:
[...]

Dudley Henriques- Hide quoted text -

Oh yes. 12 OClock High the movie is just minute by minute awesome.
The subplots in it, the counter points made, the acting. The opening
and closing scenes are just breathtakers, as were so many scenes.

The one where "Savage' burns out. Wasnt that just amazingly played?

There are really three movies made about WWII, all in the post war
era, that just show how the war, the maxium effort "used" people up.
Didnt kill them (except in one case) just used them up. 12 O Clock
High, Away all Boats, and Sands of Iwo Jima. oh to be fair to the
Ground Army... Battle of the Bulge.

Just haunting in the acting. "I'll take the flight sir", "No let
Gatley do it, make sure Gately takes it OK" (or something like
that...) Peck of course is staring directly at Gately...

haunting. Top Gun is good, these are marvelous.

Robert

Old May 16th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

Right up there with my all time favorite scene with Dean Jagger doing the
segue at both ends of 12'oclock high.
This segue was probably one of the finest bits of creative direction and
acting ever shot on film. A masterpiece of direction by Henry King!

I finally have enough money to buy a Toby mug, and the National Museum
of the United States Air Force no longer sells them. :-(
Old May 16th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Dudley Henriques" wrote)
I remember one that started with "What's the concrete mix ratio for
concrete runways please?" and finished about 80 posts later with "Picking
a good CFI is the first decision you make as a pilot that has to be right"

I attended the "Open House" for Runway 17/35 at MSP two years ago.

We got to walk out on the runway, see some jets (up close), look at lots of
big airport equipment, visit 20(?) different contractor tent-booths, listen
to a band, ...the usual stuff. g

They had a cut-a-way model section of the new runway - no rebar. Project
manager said that they don't use rebar when building new runways - at least
not in Minnesota, I guess.

http://www.mspairport.com/msp/expans...way_17_35.aspx
The Mall of America is at the top of the pic @ 12:30

That's the Minnesota River, behind the MoA. It connects up with the
Mississippi River, downstream, another two miles.

Montblack
MoA is the former site of Metropolitan Stadium (Twins, Vikings) and Met
Center (MN North Stars)