Anyone dissapointed with Oshgosh?

Old August 17th 03, 08:19 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Ida Covey"
writes:

Jim:

Most white collar workers that I know are on-the-job at least 2200 hours per
year. (Ten holidays, three weeks of vacation.) Many work closer to 2400
hours per year. Teaching is a fine profession, but it isn't a full time
job.

I assume that you are campaigning to have schools in session, and teachers
employed, full time.

BJC

Well now isn't that the most short sighted view I have ever heard of? Teaching
is as full time a job as I know of and that includes most white collar workers.
Yes, most teachers get a couple of months off per year but how would you like
it if your company said you must work 10 months a year, accept the lowest pay
level of any college degree required job and not get paid for those two months?
If you knew anything at all about the teaching profession, you would go wash
your mouth out with soap.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old August 17th 03, 09:51 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

but without the owners around to talk to...

Maybe the owners found that there were lots of fun thing to do :-)

One of the RVers with a turbonormalized engine was around his plane all
week explaining things (very gracious of him!) to one and all. Other
folks wanted to go see what was on the field, attend the forums, etc.

Two great ideas to come out of this thread:
* Promoting (and defending) GA is the business of all of us
* Post "visiting hours" on the prop card to improve communications

Ed Wischmeyer
Old August 17th 03, 10:31 PM
CW9371

For the past three years, the yearly increase of pay has been less than the
increase of medical insurance that I pay. That means I make less per year.

Well I do insurance and i hate to tell you this, you will never see a pay
increase that will keep up with insurance costs. The 3 year average i have
seen on group medical plans here in wisconsin is about 12% a year rate
increase. I hate to tell you this, but i doubt you will ever see that big of a
raise.
Old August 17th 03, 11:16 PM
Morgans

"CW9371" wrote in message
Yes, most teachers get a couple of months off per year but how would you

like
it if your company said you must work 10 months a year, accept the lowest

pay
level of any college degree required job and not get paid for those two
months?
If you knew anything at all about the teaching profession, you would go

wash
your mouth out with soap.

Bob Reed

Bob, They work 10 months and get paid for 12 months.

BZZZT.

Work 10, get our pay spread out over 12. Don't get the paid vacation, like
other jobs.

You know, it really doesn't matter if you think teachers get paid enough,
the fact is, well qualified people are less likely to go into teaching, and
more good teachers are leaving. There already is a shortage of math and
science teachers, and it IS getting worse each year.
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 17th 03, 11:21 PM
Morgans

PERS in this state(public employee retirement) pays 105% of the income.
I wish I could retire and make 105% of my income.

\
What state is that? Sure not that way here!
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 18th 03, 12:47 AM
RobertR237

In article , "Morgans"
writes:

BZZZT.

Work 10, get our pay spread out over 12. Don't get the paid vacation, like
other jobs.

You know, it really doesn't matter if you think teachers get paid enough,
the fact is, well qualified people are less likely to go into teaching, and
more good teachers are leaving. There already is a shortage of math and
science teachers, and it IS getting worse each year.
--
Jim in NC--

Work 10, get paid for 10 but it is spread over 12. Other than that, I agree.

Even if I could qualify as a teacher, I wouldn't do it. You couldn't pay me
ENOUGH to put up with the crap that they have to put up with. It is no
surprise that the most qualified people shun teaching.

Old August 18th 03, 12:47 AM
RobertR237

In article ,
(CW9371) writes:

Bob, They work 10 months and get paid for 12 months. All depends on how u
look at it. Also there benefits, alteast here in wisconsin are very very
good
compared to alot of companies. Also where do u get that there the lowest
paid
of any college degree required job.
I know thats wrong as i started out as a reporter, you must have a college
degree for the job and well teachers got paid more here in wisconsin for a
starting wage. Also nurses may or may not get more then a teacher to start.
do agree that good teachers should be paid more, but how to u figure out
what
teachers are good is the problem. I know several of the teachers i had in
highschool were bad teachers, but they had been teaching at the school for
over
30 years so they were maxed out the pay scale but they were overpaid. sooo
what do we do...

Ok, I will give you that Wisconsin might be a bit better but the teachers I
know here in Texas are not quite as fortunate. I know a couple who both have
masters degrees and are teaching highschool. The have over 25 years on the job
and still make less on a combined salary than I made in my worst year. I know
several others who went to college, got their degrees only to have to go back
and get additional schooling to get teachers certificates and started at about
$20 a year. (Less than my daughter makes working part time as a dental
assistant.)

Old August 18th 03, 01:52 AM
Jim Weir

And it would appear that English teachers, especially in Oregon, were
particularly hard to come by in your day.

Jim

Jerry Springer

-All tax deductible of course...
-With all the holidays etc. teacher get off it all works out so don't try
-to kid us about how much time you spend at work. It has been figured out
-to the penny here in Oregon how much time teachers spend at work each
-year and it is much less that the average worker does. don't take this
-wrong teaching is a noble and necessary profession and there are some
-really good teachers out there but many are very misguided on how and
-what to teach now days.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 18th 03, 02:37 AM
Jerry Springer

Whatever ever you say Jim, you of course must be right. After all a guy
that has grand delusions of thinking he can become governor(what a joke)
must be perfect. Sounds like a pretty good scam trying to get people to
send you a doller. Problem is sounds like no one has enough faith in you
to send you to many of them.

PS you are right it is pretty hard to find teachers that can even pass
the courses they teach, in Oregon or aywhere else.