Two 14 year old boys steal plane and then crash

Old February 28th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Two 14 year old boys steal plane and then crash

"Grumman-581" writes:

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
My at-home son is 6'3", 215 and I'd need a cinderblock to beat him
senseless...if I could catch him.

If you start out right, they'll still be intimidated of you even when you're
on a walker and they're picking out your retirement home...

Or, if they're smart, will be living in another state and not speaking
to you.
Old February 28th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:50:34 -0500, "John Doe"
wrote in gOWMf.43722$Dh.41109@dukeread04::

Two 14-year-old boys from Big Bear are doing OK tonight. Police say they
suffered minor injuries after stealing an airplane from the Big Bear Airport
and crash-landing it in Joshua Tree National Park last night.

The boys' apparent joy-ride ended in the park about 10 miles north of the
Cottonwood station.

It all started here at the Big Bear Airport. A bit later, it ended in the
middle of the desert. Police say two 14-year-olds, stole the keys to one
boy's father's airplane and stole it from its hangar.

FAA Preliminary Report:
http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/a...a/G_0227_N.txt
** Report created 2/28/2006 Record 1 **

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: UNK Make/Model: MO20 Description: M20,
M20A/B/C/D/E/F/G/J/L/R/S, M20K/M (T
Date: 02/26/2006 Time: 0120

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing:
Damage: Unknown

LOCATION
City: RIVERSIDE State: CA Country: US

DESCRIPTION
A MOONEY MO20 ACFT, REGISTRATION UNKNOWN, REPORTEDLY WAS STOLEN AND
CRASHED
LANDED IN JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK, THE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD
SUSTAINED
MINOR INJURIES AND WERE TAKEN INTO CUSTODY BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES,
RIVERSIDE,
CA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 2
Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA

Departed: Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: Flt Plan: Wx
Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: RIVERSIDE, CA (WP21) Entry date:
02/27/2006

Possible Aircraft Registrar ion Data:
----------------------------------
N-number : N136MP
Aircraft Serial Number : 26-0016
Aircraft Manufacturer : MOONEY
Model : M20L
Engine Manufacturer : PORSCHE
Model : PFM 3200 NO3
Aircraft Year :
Owner Name : WILLIAMS JACK K TRUSTEE
Owner Address : PO BOX XXXX
BIG BEAR LAKE, CA, 92315-6989
Type of Owner : Co-ownership
Registration Date : 07-Mar-1990
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal
--------------------

N-number : N111MR
Aircraft Serial Number : 670130
Aircraft Manufacturer : MOONEY
Model : M20C
Engine Manufacturer : LYCOMING
Model : O&VO-360 SER
Aircraft Year : 1967
Owner Name : ROGERS JEFFREY S
Owner Address : XXX LIBBY DR
RIVERSIDE, CA, 92507-2514
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 19-Feb-2004
Old February 28th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

DESCRIPTION
A MOONEY MO20 ACFT, REGISTRATION UNKNOWN, REPORTEDLY WAS STOLEN AND
CRASHED
LANDED IN JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK, THE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD
SUSTAINED
MINOR INJURIES AND WERE TAKEN INTO CUSTODY BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES,
RIVERSIDE,

One point worth noting about this accident is that Joshua Tree National
Park is perhaps a 10 to 15 minute flight from Big Bear airport.

Wasn't it reported in the article posted by the OP that the aircraft ran
out of fuel? Something is not right there.

--
Peter
Old February 28th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:54:50 -0500, "Peter R."
wrote in ::

Larry Dighera wrote:

DESCRIPTION
A MOONEY MO20 ACFT, REGISTRATION UNKNOWN, REPORTEDLY WAS STOLEN AND
CRASHED
LANDED IN JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK, THE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD
SUSTAINED
MINOR INJURIES AND WERE TAKEN INTO CUSTODY BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES,
RIVERSIDE,

One point worth noting about this accident is that Joshua Tree National
Park is perhaps a 10 to 15 minute flight from Big Bear airport.

A point about 10 miles north of the Cottonwood station is about 70sm
southeast of Big Bear Lake.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=33.881817...73622,1.864929

Depending on the exact model, the Mooney M-20 cruises between 170 and
200 knots. http://www.risingup.com/planespecs/

Wasn't it reported in the article posted by the OP that the aircraft ran
out of fuel? Something is not right there.

Why?

Old February 28th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Did anyone catch the N number on that Mooney that the kids crashed?

It looked just like the one I used to own back in the 80s.

Old March 1st 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

Peter R wrote:

Wasn't it reported in the article posted by the OP that the aircraft ran
out of fuel? Something is not right there.

Why?

If the aircraft really did run out of fuel, then this plus the fact that
the aircraft didn't fly very far before the engine quit implies that the
aircraft had very little fuel on the ground at Big Bear Airport.

Does it make sense to you that an aircraft sitting on the ground at an
airport surrounded by hostile terrain would have very little fuel in the
tanks? It doesn't to me.

--
Peter
Old March 1st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John Doe" wrote in message
Did anyone catch the N number on that Mooney that the kids crashed?

It looked just like the one I used to own back in the 80s.

Nevermind, got it off CNN: N6588U

Registered to:

Registered Owner

Name AMELSBERG MICHAEL G
Street PO BOX 190
City BIG BEAR CITY State CALIFORNIA Zip Code 92314-0190
County SAN BERNARDINO
Country UNITED STATES

Old March 1st 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
ps.com...
Peter
Then perhaps you can understand my position? Why are the youth of today
so far out of touch with common decency in society and seem to have
lost any sembalance of moral compass?
Damnnnn...even my own son lost his way and I shake my head trying to
figure it out. Is it that society has allowed them to just drift along
without fear of retribution for their actions?
He is afraid to come to me and try his weak **** excuses because he
knows I don't buy into it or them. Breaks my heart on a daily
basis..... But then I have a daughter a year older who is solid gold
and also wonders why her brother is sour....?
I'd still beat his ass to a puffy state! Or, as they say in the middle
east, I'd "flog him".
Semper Fi
Rocky

Hug your son and tell him you love him. Tell him no matter what he does you
love him. Tell him he is old enough to make his own decisions. Tell him you
can guide him, but you cant make him do anything.
Getting mad does no good it only creates more anger and resentment on both
sides.
If he is hanging around kids that you know are doing drugs and are a bad
influence tell him about it. Don let those kids hang around, you cant
control him when he isn't home but you can control the home.
Talk to him all the time ask him how his day was, try to get him to go
places with you. Take him shopping you don't need to buy anything just dream
with him. The whole time ask him what's he likes to do. Guide him toward a
job he will like.
Remember the most important thing is to tell you love him, tell your wife to
tell him this tell your daughter to tell him this. Get your brother your
best friend anyone close to talk and spend time, don't let him get away. You
will be surprised when your not on his case day after day.
Don't buy him a bunch of things make him work for it, but if he does work
for it don't let him down.
If your lucky in time things will change. He will realize the support that
he has from family and friends, he wont want to let them down.
Did I say hug him and tell him you love him.

Old March 1st 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd beat that kids ass to a healthy puffy dimension.........

Do that in this state, and it is you who'd be the felon. :-(

I have a 15 year old son who could, I'm almost certain, fly our plane
without difficulty.

If he EVER did something this stupid -- and lived -- I wouldn't beat
him. In fact, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that he had survived.
I'd hug him like my life depended upon his next breath.

THEN I'd beat him senseless...

Amen
;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 1st 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Reminds me of a time when I was in intensive care with 7 bullet holes
and kind of hurting...
My son came to see me and reminded me of the times when he had
challenged me to an arm wrestle and he always lost. And the day when he
said, "Dad, someday I'm gonna beat your ass". I laughed and told him,
"Son, when you get to that point you're not gonna want to." When he
leaned down to give me a soft hug in the hospital,I said, "Son, now is
your chance to beat my ass..." he reminded me of that day and said,
"Dad, I just figured out I don't want to.."
Semper Fi
Rocky

I tell my boy the same thing.