Beware travelers with bratty kids

Old January 24th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Beware travelers with bratty kids

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

And what would you fire them for?

Being late, and thereby costing the airline more than they are worth.

Old January 24th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/24/2007 5:42:25 PM, "Jim Macklin" wrote:

I use my real name, and just how much do you make in a week?

LOL. Now that is balsy of you. If I answer, you will say I am lying and
others will think I have no class. If I don't answer, I look like I am hiding
the fact that I flip burgers at McDonalds. A no-win situation.

Let your imagination derive whatever figure you want, Jim; I'll risk the
negative connotation. And by the way, I will still read and learn something
from your GA-specific posts despite this minor setback.

--
Peter
Old January 24th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Schumann

15 minutes???? I think is would be reasonable to give the parents a couple
of minutes to get their act together, but anything beyond 5 minutes is
really an imposition on the other passengers. If the parents had been
reasonable and considerate, they would have discussed their options to wait
for a later flight with the flight attendant before the airline kicked them
off involuntarily.

Mike Schumann

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 1/24/2007 5:16:30 PM, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

But how many people missed connecting flights and how many more would
have
had they waited longer.

I am only going on what was posted here. From that information I thought
the
airline waited 15 minutes before tossing the parents and child, no? If so,
no
connection would have been missed for a 15 minute delay.

In any event, I don't necessarily agree that the aircraft should have been
held any longer than it was, either. However, I am getting a kick out of
all
of these macho "I will stuff a dirty diaper in your kid's mouth," "The
airlines loses more money than you make in a month," and "I just don't
give a
**** about you" comments. Absolutely hilarious example of the anonymous
keyboard muscle syndrome.

--
Peter

Old January 24th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Schumann

I suspect that cost is while the airplane is in flight. Cost on the ground
would be significantly less.

Mike Schumann

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Cost per hour for a USAir flight is [a guess] $3,000, so
that kid and her parents cost the airline $750, more than
the cost of the ticket they had purchased and they got a
full refund and an offer of another trip.

Total cost of the lost time, unknown.

"Peter R." wrote in message
| On 1/24/2007 3:32:58 PM, "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| They had a few minutes, airline departures are
scheduled,
| that delay for a screaming rug-rat brat, was costing
more
| money than you probably earn in a week, maybe even a
month.

Old January 24th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I wonder if the pilots had to trim the aircraft to compensate for the
load.

On an airliner? Nah.

This *is* a serious issue, however. I spent several hours on a flight
to Atlanta seated in the last row of seats (the ones where the ceiling
curves over your head) next to a guy who was the size of two of me.

He could NOT have been comfortable, having our shared armrest
surgically implanted in his side -- and I most assuredly was not
comfortable having his side flopping on top of me. In fact, I would
have to say that it was the most uncomfortable three hours of my life,
and I *paid* for it.

Nothing against fat people -- some of my best friends are overweight --
but when we are all inside the "executive mail tube", the old saying
"Your right to swing your fist stops where my nose begins" truly *does*
apply. And the airlines are the folks who should be addressing the
problem, rather than trying to pretend that it doesn't exist.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 24th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/24/2007 6:13:49 PM, "Mike Schumann" wrote:

15 minutes???? I think is would be reasonable to give the parents a couple
of minutes to get their act together, but anything beyond 5 minutes is
really an imposition on the other passengers.

Who is stating that 15 minutes is reasonable? Not I.

--
Peter
Old January 24th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:16:57 -0800, Jake Brodsky wrote
(in article ):

Kingfish wrote:
Can't get your kid to behave on a plane? There's always Trailways...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/?GT1=8921

I'm appalled at how many of you were cheering AirTran on for their
behavior. I'm a father of three typically well behaved children.

Perhaps most of you prefer not to remember, but kids have energy: LOTS
of energy. Yes, my kids do sit still on aircraft. I've taught them
very well how to behave in airports and on board an airplane. They also
have practice from long road trips. They've done well --even my three
year old.

The parents had a few minutes. They also were given a refund, a free flight
the next day, and free round-trip tickets to anywhere the airline goes. And
still the father acts like a spoiled brat who believes that everyone else
should wait on him. Well, you see where the daughter gets it from.

Heck, you get all that for a 3 year old's tantrum, flying my grandkids to
Orlando might be profitable... :-)

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 24th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Steve Foley" wrote in news:7LPth.7870$8P.7586
@trndny05:

"John Theune" wrote in message

Just how long do you want to give them? According to the article the
flight was already delayed 15 minutes.

Did it say the 15 minute delay was caused by the unruly kid?

I got the impression ( I could be wrong - it happened once before) that
there had already been a delay boarding, and that the parents were given
virtually no time to try to settle the kid down.

I too got that impression, but it isn't clear. The passenger who was quoted
describing the situation was quoted as having seen it while he was
boarding. But the quote referring to the "walkie-talkie" person coming back
to kick them off was from the father, who probably did not track time
effectively while he was otherwise engaged in managing his crisis, so it
could have been 15 minutes before he was kicked off and felt like no time
at all.

I also agree that they should have returned the luggage. In fact, I'm
surprised that someone didn't make them do that under the "national
security" risk story. I have been on a plane that was delayed for a luggage
/ passenger check.

IMHO they should have given the parents the choice to get off the plane or
to force the child to sit seatbelted-in for taxi and takeoff - either in
her own seat or even on the father's lap at the window seat. The child
would most likely have calmed down after 5-10 minutes, and there would have
been no compromise to safety except to the parent and child themselves, who
volunteered to accept that risk by not getting off the plane.

It would have also helped to warn them of the choice during the final seat
checks. It would have escalated the urgency of the issue to the parents,
and force them to accept culpability for not being able to get the child
restrained in time. The end result may not have been any different, but the
parents would no longer be perceived as the victim - by themselves or
others.
Old January 24th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Nothing against fat people -- some of my best friends are overweight --
but when we are all inside the "executive mail tube", the old saying
"Your right to swing your fist stops where my nose begins" truly *does*
apply. And the airlines are the folks who should be addressing the
problem, rather than trying to pretend that it doesn't exist.

The airlines are damned if they do and damned if they don't. No
matter what they do, someone will complain.

I think that there are more people of normal weight who are irritated
by the lardballs than there are lardballs who are irritated by
airlines making them pay for being overweight, but perhaps not. I
hear that there are more and more fat Americans; perhaps eventually
the lardballs will be the majority.

I do wonder about the effect that such things have on weight and
balance calculations. With many lardballs on board the weight goes
up.

Maybe the solution is to weigh each passenger at check-in, like the
old days.

Old January 24th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

On Jan 24, 8:08 am, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
I have not seen so much pressing of
the flesh since an election year. I was surprised the arm rest along the
aisle could take that much side load...

You have no idea how much aileron trim the pilot had to use on that
flight :-)