Sleeping on long flights - What's the secret?

Old November 23rd 04, 02:24 AM
Pooh Bear

John Mazor wrote:

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message

Pooh Bear wrote:

I'm kind of assuming this is a troll given the obesity mentioned.

The possibility of a troll didn't occur to me. Mind you, I'm not used to
thinking of weights in pounds, so I missed the obesity.

Such people should pay more for their tickets. How come I pay for excess
baggage when this guy weighs more than my baggage and me put together?

How come we can pay significantly more for a 300-mile trip between two small
markets than for a 3000-mile trip in a competitive city pair? Because
airline market imperatives dictate that the cost of a service and its price
aren't always directly related.

The market works in funny ways!

Being factual, there's a fixed cost in 'passenger handling' not to mention the
same for an aircraft.

I would expect short flights to be more expensive per mile than long haul.

Airlines also need to fill seats and do so according to accountancy rules.

Graham

Old November 23rd 04, 02:27 AM
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear wrote:

I'm kind of assuming this is a troll given the obesity mentioned.

The possibility of a troll didn't occur to me. Mind you, I'm not used to
thinking of weights in pounds, so I missed the obesity.

Such people should pay more for their tickets. How come I pay for excess
baggage when this guy weighs more than my baggage and me put together?

How come we can pay significantly more for a 300-mile trip between two small
markets than for a 3000-mile trip in a competitive city pair? Because
airline market imperatives dictate that the cost of a service and its price
aren't always directly related.

This is true, but I rather suspect airlines would be happy to charge
obese people more, if the political (not commercial) backlash wouldn't
be so great.

They have no trouble charging for *excess baggage*. Maybe they'd like to carve a
slice off the rump of the obese pax and charge that too ?

Graham

Old November 23rd 04, 02:29 AM
MLenoch

Ok.....old joke:

What's the difference between a dog and a flight engineer?

OK?

Here it is..............

The dog sleeps under the table!!

(cracks me up everytime!! thanks for indulging me!)
VL
Old November 23rd 04, 03:13 AM

Before you look too hard for a way to sleep on long flights, check out
www.airhealth.org

I too am tall (6ft 4in) and ten years ago (age 55 then) was stuffed
into a 747 center section steerage seat for a rushed
Chicago-Tokyo-Chicago business trip. A few days after returning,
while bending over, I had a TIA (small stroke) that completely
paralyzed me on the right side for about an hour. A blood clot
apparently crossed over in my heart & went to my brain. I now know I
have a common (35 percent of us do) heart defect called a Patent
Foramen Ovale (PFO) that allows some blood to occasionally skip going
thru the lungs, which would otherwise have filtered the clot out.

It has been a dog fight with the FAA to renew my 3rd class medical
ever since.

Clot formation on long flights is well described on the referenced web
site. Briefly you want to keep hydrated and keep moving around.
Don't sleep for any length or you may generate a clot. If you are
lucky, it will only be like Dan Quayle's of about the same time, and
be caught by your lung, which also requires hospitalization. He was
in first class, yet it still happened to him.
Old November 23rd 04, 03:52 AM
Pooh Bear

Jay Honeck wrote:

That a fact? I'm 6'5" and got at least six hours each way between Auckland
and LAX not long ago without benefit of sedatives or alcohol.

You, sir, must be a contortionist!

If Rich had any sense he got here early and got a seat with legroom.

Or he has the bucks to pay for business or first.

Graham

Old November 23rd 04, 04:19 AM
Bob Fry

Sylvia Else writes:

This is true, but I rather suspect airlines would be happy to charge
obese people more, if the political (not commercial) backlash wouldn't
be so great.

I'd be happy if they would charge and assign two seats to these
overgrown slobs. That way I'd get some space of my own instead of
having to share with the guy who can't stay away from the trough.
Old November 23rd 04, 04:50 AM
Jay Honeck

This is true, but I rather suspect airlines would be happy to charge
obese people more, if the political (not commercial) backlash wouldn't
be so great.

I'd be happy if they would charge and assign two seats to these
overgrown slobs. That way I'd get some space of my own instead of
having to share with the guy who can't stay away from the trough.

Before everyone starts piling on Bob for being "insensitive" I want to point
out that the obesity epidemic is a terrible problem in many parts of the
economy.

Twice (in a little over two years) we've had very large guests break bed
frames and chairs at the inn. No furniture was ever designed to support
over 300 pounds, and when you get two of them in bed, well, all bets are
off.

Strangely, they had an air of surprised disdain about what happened, as if
it were somehow a reflection upon our hotel that they were actually able to
break our furniture. Neither one offered to pay for the damage they
caused.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 23rd 04, 05:00 AM
Sylvia Else

Bob Fry wrote:
Sylvia Else writes:

This is true, but I rather suspect airlines would be happy to charge
obese people more, if the political (not commercial) backlash wouldn't
be so great.

I'd be happy if they would charge and assign two seats to these
overgrown slobs. That way I'd get some space of my own instead of
having to share with the guy who can't stay away from the trough.

I wonder whether we're just too polite at times.

When we've paid for an air ticket, we have certain reasonable
expectations about the accomodation to be provided during the flight. In
particular, that we get to have a seat - all to ourselves.

When the blob next door is oozing over into my seat, why shouldn't I
demand that the airline do something about it? They could bump him up
into first class if necessary - of even better, bump me up into first class.

Another consideration is that I'm sharing the seat support structure
with him. In an emergency, his mass may detatch the seat I'm sitting in
from the floor - to my detriment.

Sylvia.

Old November 23rd 04, 06:58 AM
Jonathan Sorger

Has nobody mentioned Ambien (prescription)?

Don't take it if the flight is less than 6-7 hours or so (for a guy your
size).

Knock you out good...

In f_iod.134853$R05.103574@attbi_s53 C. Osbourne wrote:

Hi,

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would
really like to do some sleeping during the flights.

But somehow, I can't seem to get comfortable enough
to get to sleep. I'm 6'3" 280 lbs, and the tiny
seats are -very- uncomfortable after a few hours.
(can't afford 1st class)

Can anyone suggest a method or even proper drugs
I can use to get to sleep so the flights don't seem
so long?

Thanks for answering here...

Old November 23rd 04, 02:53 PM
John Mazor

Pooh Bear wrote:

[...]

Absolutely, but not by a factor of five or ten.

Airlines also need to fill seats and do so according to accountancy rules.

Eh? I don't know what "accountancy rules" means here, but it all boils down
to charging whatever the market will bear, and its corollary, not charging
what the market won't bear. Why don't they charge you for that first bag?
Because the market expects you not to, and won't pay for it if there is a
competitive alternative.