Almost saw someone crash

Old May 23rd 04, 12:28 PM
David Megginson

David CL Francis wrote:

How times have changed. These men and women of the A.T.A. Delivered
aircraft from the factories to squadrons and to maintenance units. Not
quite a fair comparison as there was no suggestion of thunderstorms -
just poor visibility.

That was bad enough. Remember that John Magee, the author of "High Flight,"
actually died not in combat, but in a midair collision with another British
plane during low vis in quiet skies.

All the best,

David
Old May 23rd 04, 03:23 PM
Bill Denton

Does anyone have any more information on the Wozniak crash? I couldn't find
anything on Google.

Every since the Woz situation came on to this thread, I have wondered if it
was being confused with the Thurmond Munson crash, which was one of the
straws that almost nearly halted GA aircraft production in the mid 80's
(remember the Cessna shutdown?).

Thurmond Munson was a talented and successful baseball player. He bought a
Cessna Citation, which was arguably too much airplane for him. While
shooting touch and go's (IIRC) he broke the airplane.

Munson's estate sued Cessna on the grounds that Cessna should not have sold
Munson an aircraft he was not capable of safely operating.

And one of our (sometimes) wonderful American juries agreed that blame
should not be placed on the person who f*cked up; it should instead be
placed on a company who legally manufactured and sold a product.

And people wonder why no one can afford to fly...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Frode Berg" wrote in message

Then the million dollar question: Did he get rich?

He was already rich.

Surely he didn't win a lawsuit for this???

I don't know. I knew he had crashed his Bonanza, but I never heard of any
lawsuit out of it.

Old May 23rd 04, 04:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

Every since the Woz situation came on to this thread, I have wondered if

it
was being confused with the Thurmond Munson crash, which was one of the
straws that almost nearly halted GA aircraft production in the mid 80's
(remember the Cessna shutdown?).

Thurmon Munson was killed in 1979.

Old May 23rd 04, 04:53 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

And the date of Munson's death is relevant to this discussion how?

You're the one that claimed a connection between Munson's death and GA
aircraft production in the mid 80's.

Old May 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Frode Berg" wrote in message

Then the million dollar question: Did he get rich?

He was already rich.

Surely he didn't win a lawsuit for this???

I don't know. I knew he had crashed his Bonanza, but I never heard of any
lawsuit out of it.

According to my source, he crashed an Ultralight.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/ha...steve-wozniak/

Old May 23rd 04, 05:11 PM
Judah

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
hlink.net:

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

And the date of Munson's death is relevant to this discussion how?

You're the one that claimed a connection between Munson's death and GA
aircraft production in the mid 80's.

Perhaps the litigation and subsequent effects were not immediate.
Old May 23rd 04, 05:20 PM
Bill Denton

I did not state that Munson's crash occurred in the mid 80's.

I stated that the slowdown occurred in the mid 80's and that the slowdown
was caused in part by the Munson crash..We are discussing two separate
timeframes. As long as Munson's crash preceded the slowdown the exact date
of the crash is totally irrelevant.

Old May 23rd 04, 05:29 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Frode Berg" wrote in message

Then the million dollar question: Did he get rich?

He was already rich.

Surely he didn't win a lawsuit for this???

I don't know. I knew he had crashed his Bonanza, but I never heard of

any
lawsuit out of it.

According to my source, he crashed an Ultralight.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/ha...steve-wozniak/

ADDENDUM:

Are you referring to the scene in "Pirates of Silicon Valley"?

Old May 23rd 04, 05:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

I did not state that Munson's crash occurred in the mid 80's.

I stated that the slowdown occurred in the mid 80's and that the slowdown
was caused in part by the Munson crash.

Stating it doesn't make it so. You didn't make any connection between the
crash and the slowdown.

We are discussing two separate
timeframes. As long as Munson's crash preceded the slowdown the exact
date of the crash is totally irrelevant.

Buddy Holly also died in a GA crash that preceded the slowdown. Did that
crash also contribute to the slowdown?